• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is there any part of the constitution which you think it would be great to change?

Masterhawk

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I think the election system is a bit off. The electoral college is meant to give small states stronger representation even though they really give sway states with a big population all the attention. Unlike congress, the president rarely affects individual states but rather America as a whole, something which popular vote would easily fit into. The general election shouldn't all be held on 1 day and should involve groups of states starting with the states with the lowest populations and working up to california. The 1st election will involve the 4 smallest states (possibly more) on August 14. As the states have bigger populations, there will be less states involved per election day. This will put texas followed by california in late december or early january. If the incumbent president loses the election then his term should be extended from january to may. In regards to the presidential primaries, the delegate system should be kept because it's the party picking the president but the superdelegate system along with winner take all states shall be abolished.

Senators and representatives need term limits. Congressional elections should also not be held in the same year as presidential elections. Every congressmen should get 4 year terms ending 2 years between presidential elections (ex: 2014, 2018, 2022). Representatives will get 2 terms whereas senators get 3. Congressional districts should be drawn by a nonpartisian or bipartisan committee to prevent gerrymandering. Representative elections should use popular vote by district and use alternative vote (for more information, watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y3jE3B8HsE).

The 16th ammendment gives the federal government too much power from the states and should be abolished. Instead, states should be responsible for taxing and congress can tax the states differently depending on average income (massachussets having higher taxes than mississippi).

Re: Is there any part of the constitution which you think it would be great to change

I would change the part where it lets Congress borrow money.

Re: Is there any part of the constitution which you think it would be great to change

Give them the responsibility to bear arms rather than a right.

Word Separation of Church and State to allow prayer in schools and other demonstrations of Religious culture like having the Ten Commandments in a Court House.

Define exceptions to the right to free speech.

Remove the word militia from the 2nd.

Add term limits for Congress and Judges.

I think the election system is a bit off. The electoral college is meant to give small states stronger representation even though they really give sway states with a big population all the attention. Unlike congress, the president rarely affects individual states but rather America as a whole, something which popular vote would easily fit into. The general election shouldn't all be held on 1 day and should involve groups of states starting with the states with the lowest populations and working up to california. The 1st election will involve the 4 smallest states (possibly more) on August 14. As the states have bigger populations, there will be less states involved per election day. This will put texas followed by california in late december or early january. If the incumbent president loses the election then his term should be extended from january to may. In regards to the presidential primaries, the delegate system should be kept because it's the party picking the president but the superdelegate system along with winner take all states shall be abolished.

Senators and representatives need term limits. Congressional elections should also not be held in the same year as presidential elections. Every congressmen should get 4 year terms ending 2 years between presidential elections (ex: 2014, 2018, 2022). Representatives will get 2 terms whereas senators get 3. Congressional districts should be drawn by a nonpartisian or bipartisan committee to prevent gerrymandering. Representative elections should use popular vote by district and use alternative vote (for more information, watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y3jE3B8HsE).

The 16th ammendment gives the federal government too much power from the states and should be abolished. Instead, states should be responsible for taxing and congress can tax the states differently depending on average income (massachussets having higher taxes than mississippi).

The President absolutely does affect individual States. Obama's Justice Department has sued individual States many times, his mandates have put individual States in positions whereby they must do his bidding or he'll withhold federal money from them and his Department rulings...such as from the EPA...are aimed at devastating whole industries in individual States while other Department rulings benefit private companies in other areas.

But all that really has nothing to do with any consideration of the Electoral College or election procedures. The changes you suggest won't have any effect on the powers wielded by the President.

Speaking of your suggested changes, I think such complications are totally unnecessary. Our current set of election procedures work quite well, imo.

I think the 17th Amendment should be abolished. The Founding Fathers knew what they were doing when they set up the Senate as being representatives of the States...not of the people.

Last edited:

Change the citizenship clause of the 14th amendment and define 'subject to the jurisdiction thereof' in this amendment to mean citizen or permanent resident. Also change birthright citizen from jus soli to jus sanguinus .. one parent must be a citizen to gain birthright citizenship. the USA and Canada are the only two countries that have jus soli ( citizen if your born there ) laws and also have a population that is growing. And Canada has , at least it was a year and a half ago, considered removing it.

I'd like the language in several areas to be made SCOTUS and congress proof. Specifically in the 14th and the commerce clause.

The President absolutely does affect individual States. Obama's Justice Department has sued individual States many times, his mandates have put individual States in positions whereby they must do his bidding or he'll withhold federal money from them and his Department rulings...such as from the EPA...are aimed at devastating whole industries in individual States while other Department rulings benefit private companies in other areas.

But all that really has nothing to do with any consideration of the Electoral College or election procedures. The changes you suggest won't have any effect on the powers wielded by the President.

Speaking of your suggested changes, I think such complications are totally unnecessary. Our current set of election procedures work quite well, imo.

I think the 17th Amendment should be abolished. The Founding Fathers knew what they were doing when they set up the Senate as being representatives of the States...not of the people.

the winner take all system should at least be abolished and there should be an ammendment limiting the president in the area of domestic policy to vetoes, executive orders, and other things specifically listed in the constitution. Likewise congress should be limited to domestic policy except approving treaties and declaring war in foreign policy.

the part about guns, remove the well regulated militia part, as the definition of regulated and militia have changed in the last 200 years. regulated once meant trained, now it means subject to laws. militia once meant any person with a gun, now it means national guard to many people. i blame the education system, corrupted by draft dodging liberals terrified to fight their fellow left wing nutobs in vietnam.

i would not mind an amendment deporting anyone who won't say the pledge of allegiance, if we're talking additions.

the part about guns, remove the well regulated militia part, as the definition of regulated and militia have changed in the last 200 years. regulated once meant trained, now it means subject to laws. militia once meant any person with a gun, now it means national guard to many people. i blame the education system, corrupted by draft dodging liberals terrified to fight their fellow left wing nutobs in vietnam.

i would not mind an amendment deporting anyone who won't say the pledge of allegiance, if we're talking additions.

To where? An internment camp?

I am not certain how I would word these, but I would revise the Commerce Clause and the General Welfare clause to make it explicit that the government cannot regulate behavior that does not have an identifiable victim, and that the government is authorized to provide render services it deems fit-- respective of citizens' general liberty and their right to equal protection under the law-- to advance the economic and cultural interests of the general public.

Well, I've already been beaten to this punch, but I would replace the 2nd Amendment with Section 24 of the Wyoming State Constitution: "The right of citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and of the state shall not be denied."

I do not think this should be necessary, but I would revise the Fifth Amendment to specify that "the due process of law" requires a criminal conviction or a civil judgment in order for a person to be deprived of their property.

I would revise the 13th Amendment to remove the clause allowing involuntary servitude to be levied as a punishment for crimes.

I would revise the 16th Amendment to specify that tax brackets and marginal tax rates must follow a mathematical formula based on a cost-of-living index and a base tax rate, respectively, so that politicians could not pander to different demographics by offering unequal tax breaks or tax hikes to one group or another.

I've also been beaten to this one, but now that the descendants of African slaves have all been made citizens of the United States for generations, I would revise the 14th Amendment to require that one of a child's parents must be an American citizen in order for them to be granted birthright citizenship.

I would repeal the 22nd Amendment.

I would also abolish the Electoral College for Presidential elections in favor of a straight popular vote, and mandate a preferential voting system for all Federal elections. I would revise the Constitution of the State of Wyoming in similar fashion.

To where? An internment camp?

Houston, TX

I am not certain how I would word these, but I would revise the Commerce Clause and the General Welfare clause to make it explicit that the government cannot regulate behavior that does not have an identifiable victim, and that the government is authorized to provide render services it deems fit-- respective of citizens' general liberty and their right to equal protection under the law-- to advance the economic and cultural interests of the general public.

Well, I've already been beaten to this punch, but I would replace the 2nd Amendment with Section 24 of the Wyoming State Constitution: "The right of citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and of the state shall not be denied."

I do not think this should be necessary, but I would revise the Fifth Amendment to specify that "the due process of law" requires a criminal conviction or a civil judgment in order for a person to be deprived of their property.

I would revise the 13th Amendment to remove the clause allowing involuntary servitude to be levied as a punishment for crimes.

I would revise the 16th Amendment to specify that tax brackets and marginal tax rates must follow a mathematical formula based on a cost-of-living index and a base tax rate, respectively, so that politicians could not pander to different demographics by offering unequal tax breaks or tax hikes to one group or another.

I've also been beaten to this one, but now that the descendants of African slaves have all been made citizens of the United States for generations, I would revise the 14th Amendment to require that one of a child's parents must be an American citizen in order for them to be granted birthright citizenship.

I would repeal the 22nd Amendment.

I would also abolish the Electoral College for Presidential elections in favor of a straight popular vote, and mandate a preferential voting system for all Federal elections. I would revise the Constitution of the State of Wyoming in similar fashion.

I'd get rid of the General Welfare language altogether. There would be no such language in the Constitution. I would repeal the 16th Amendment and get rid of direct taxes. I would repeal the 17th Amendment and return the Senate back to representing the States. Term limits for all elected officials. Citizenship would be precisely defined. I'd limit the national debt of the federal government to a certain economic metric, but I'm not sure which.

Hey man, Houston ain't a bad city.
It struck me as a dust bowl compared to Florida but then Florida is a swamp compared to the West Coast, etc.
Every State has its ups and downs.

• I agree with the militia change in the 2nd.
• I also would just throw out the electoral college (it was actually meant to make sure that the People couldn't be bought BUT in modern America it would be much easier to buy a handful of career politians than millions of Americans. I don't think this kind of "trust of the Government" was ever intended really.
• Lastly, the bit about the cap of representatives needs to either be overhauled or done away with. (Article II, Section 1, Clause 2 and the Appointment Act of 1929). First, our Government is supposed to meet and reevaluate the number of representatives capped (435). The idea that this handful of representatives can fairly represent 300+ million Americans is fairly ludicrous.

My :twocents:

It struck me as a dust bowl compared to Florida but then Florida is a swamp compared to the West Coast, etc.
Every State has its ups and downs.

• I agree with the militia change in the 2nd.
• I also would just throw out the electoral college (it was actually meant to make sure that the People couldn't be bought BUT in modern America it would be much easier to buy a handful of career politians than millions of Americans. I don't think this kind of "trust of the Government" was ever intended really.
• Lastly, the bit about the cap of representatives needs to either be overhauled or done away with. (Article II, Section 1, Clause 2 and the Appointment Act of 1929). First, our Government is supposed to meet and reevaluate the number of representatives capped (435). The idea that this handful of representatives can fairly represent 300+ million Americans is fairly ludicrous.

My :twocents:
Yep. I definitely agree with getting rid of the electoral college. I think we should just use the popular vote instead, that way, everyone's vote will count.

Because let's say I voted for Hillary in the general election. My vote wouldn't really count because I live in a red state, and vice versa for a Republican in a blue state.

Yep. I definitely agree with getting rid of the electoral college. I think we should just use the popular vote instead, that way, everyone's vote will count.

Because let's say I voted for Hillary in the general election. My vote wouldn't really count because I live in a red state, and vice versa for a Republican in a blue state.

I your scenario, the cities would dictate life to the urban and rural areas, much as they are doing already in the electoral process that you are opposed to.

Nothing changes.

I your scenario, the cities would dictate life to the urban and rural areas, much as they are doing already in the electoral process that you are opposed to.

Nothing changes.
But in my scenario, everyone's vote will count, since it will be based on the popular vote.

That's not the case with our electoral college system today.

Hey man, Houston ain't a bad city.

You are right. Houston is one of the top 10 cities in the United States for live music. Houston rocks!!

I think the election system is a bit off. The electoral college is meant to give small states stronger representation even though they really give sway states with a big population all the attention.
The Electoral College is a good thing because it gives moderate states more sway than extremist states. If getting 1000 extra votes in California or Texas was as valuable as 1000 extra votes in Ohio, Florida, Pennsylvania.... Then extreme positions that are only popular in extreme states would become more the norm. There would be less reason to focus on moderate positions that might play well in moderate states since you know those states are likely going to split about 50/50 no matter what. Generally we should likely want elections to be decided in more moderate states since they are likely to have both sides of various issues represented more equally.

Senators and representatives need term limits.
Term limits are largely irrelevant. People generally get better at their jobs the longer they do them. All you'd be doing is forcing inexperienced politicians into office, but as long as their states and or districts keep the same demographics the new politicians would still be roughly as extreme. Gerrymandering is the real problem that keeps congress packed with extremists making it very difficult to get anything done.

Congressional elections should also not be held in the same year as presidential elections.
Horrible idea. I'd rather have congressional elections only held in Presidential years that not at all. Presidential years get much higher turnout and therefore you get a better representation of the actual population.

Congressional districts should be drawn by a nonpartisian or bipartisan committee to prevent gerrymandering.
Only thing you've said that would be a good idea.

This is also insanely stupid. You'd be punishing states for having strong economies, and giving gifts to irresponsible states that don't invest in their economies. Federal income taxes are very important and necessary to insure that states can't try and steal businesses from one another via a race to the bottom which tramples on workers rights. The things the Federal government spends money on generally benefit all the states as a whole, and should therefore be paid for by the country as a whole. However the things the Federal Gov spends money on generally benefit the wealth far more so than the poor therefore the wealthy should pay the highest contribution regardless of what state they choose to live in.

So... you only want a country full of people that are easily brainwashed huh? Pledges, Flags, Anthems, Motto's.... all just propaganda designed to instill loyalty to a state regardless of what horrendous actions that state takes.

quote-nationalism-is-an-infantile-disease-it-is-the-measles-of-mankind-albert-einstein-56399.jpg

a4eccbd7b42f274268bad65611679773.jpg

Nothing changes.

Not true if you forget cities and states all together and just tally up American votes period. It isn't rocket science and it doesn't need to be oh so complicated as all that. The only thing that changes is that our country's leader is chosen by the majority vote and its one instance where I think this should be.

So... you only want a country full of people that are easily brainwashed huh? Pledges, Flags, Anthems, Motto's.... all just propaganda designed to instill loyalty to a state regardless of what horrendous actions that state takes.

View attachment 67201896

View attachment 67201897

:lamo

Here's the problem with quoting Einstein on anything but physics or mathematics where he was a savant, you'll likely get the idiot part of idiot savant. Remember, this was a fellow who, as an adult, needed help getting dressed in the morning.

View attachment 67201896

View attachment 67201897

Einstein was a Jew. Of course he was opposed to the interest of whites.

Back
Top Bottom