• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is there also a kind of Godwin's Law for the mentioning of Donald Trump?

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

I am sure you know Godwin's Law:

Godwin's law, short for Godwin's law (or rule) of Nazi analogies,[1][2] is an Internet adage asserting that as an online discussion grows longer (regardless of topic or scope), the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Adolf Hitler approaches 1.[2][3] In less mathematical terms, the longer the discussion, the more likely a Nazi comparison becomes, and with long enough discussions, it is a certainty.

Promulgated by the American attorney and author Mike Godwin in 1990,[2] Godwin's law originally referred specifically to Usenet newsgroup discussions.[4] He stated that he introduced Godwin's law in 1990 as an experiment in memetics.[2] It is now applied to any threaded online discussion, such as Internet forums, chat rooms, and comment threads, as well as to speeches, articles, and other rhetoric[5][6] where reductio ad Hitlerum occurs.

Now I have noticed that in many discussions the name "Trump" appears sooner or later, whether the topic is related to Trump or not.
I wonder if it isn't time to formulate a law for the mentioning of Trump.

Or is there one already?

Im sure you Trump worshipers would love nothing more than for everyone to forget that the last 4 years happened.
I don't know any "Trump worshipers", but why do you think that?

It's amazing that anyone would still be concerned by the doings of an utterly corrupt and criminal bastard who commands the minds and souls of 74 million Americans (maybe he lost, like, 1 million after the Capitol invasion), who keeps leaking that he's very probably going to run in 2024, who is going to do his damndest to pick primary winners and losers.

:rolleyes:

Trump remains relevant until he doesn't have enough supporters who act on his behalf for them to be relevant.

Besides, what's the point of this thread? Trumpists were already commanded to use the "lives rent free" line every time someone mentions Trump. Even in threads about something Trump has done.

Fun fact: if you search for posts containing "Obama" by a Trumpist deploying the "rent free" line, you'll see they were on about Obama the entire Trump presidency. Accusations as confessions, yadda yadda.

Last edited:

Now I have noticed that in many discussions the name "Trump" appears sooner or later, whether the topic is related to Trump or not.

Or is there one already?
I am sorry your butt got dented by people saying mean things about your new Jesus.

It's amazing that anyone would still be concerned by the doings of an utterly corrupt and criminal bastard who commands the minds and souls of 74 million Americans (maybe he lost, like, 1 million after the Capitol invasion), who keeps leaking that he's very probably going to run in 2024, who is going to do his damndest to pick primary winners and losers.

Trump remains relevant until he doesn't have enough supporters who act on his behalf for them to be relevant.

Besides, what's the point of this thread? Trumpists were already commanded to use the "lives rent free" line every time someone mentions Trump. Even in threads about something Trump has done.

Fun fact: if you search for posts containing "Obama" by a Trumpist deploying the "rent free" line, you'll see they were on about Obama the entire Trump presidency. Accusations as confessions, yadda yadda.

The point of the thread is the same as any trump terrorist thread, projection and deflection. They can't defend the deplorable, corrupt, incomptetent, moronic presidency of Trump but can't take that time and time again Democratic President's fair far better than Republican ones. They can't accept that they are wrong about everything, so they project and deflect. It's quite sad

Trump and the terrorists he has created are most definitely relevant

Or is there one already?
Interesting (to me) that you bring up Godwin's Law now since I've recently been thinking of the possibility of the Republicans turning to Genocide in the not so distant future to fully obtain their desired white enthnosate. Considering some of their actions, rhetoric and provable outright lies, I don't think that consideration is a stretch.

I don't know any "Trump worshipers", but why do you think that?
It's a cult-think projection. Since the media cult universally hates Trump, all exceptions must be a rival cult, hence they worship him.

The cult cannot acknowledge what the rational world considers obvious, that Trump did a good job.

Interesting (to me) that you bring up Godwin's Law now since I've recently been thinking of the possibility of the Republicans turning to Genocide in the not so distant future to fully obtain their desired white enthnosate. Considering some of their actions, rhetoric and provable outright lies, I don't think that consideration is a stretch.
Godwin's law proves out again.

It's a cult-think projection. Since the media cult universally hates Trump, all exceptions must be a rival cult, hence they worship him.

The cult cannot acknowledge what the rational world considers obvious, that Trump did a good job.

Godwin's law proves out again.
It does have its uses.

Godwin's law is also heavily used by anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers:

By, yeah, the misnomer of calling an opponent a Nazi is pretty universal, but on this thread, bemoaning the use of the term against Trump, when you can easily scour the comments made about Biden or the Democrats and see the same reference made.

Same with calling someone you disagree with Fascist or Commie. However, bemoaning the usage against Trump, while ignoring the universal use to slag anyone you disagree with, is kind of humorous.

Why should that be "amazing"?

The corrupter and the more criminal, the more those people are remembered.
"Hitler" etc has become a household word.

Who speaks of Miller-Smith-Jones-etc who led a normal life a 100 years ago?

The rule is that the first to mention it loses. That would be you if you had any doubt.
There you go making shit up again. It's about its occurrence, not a contest.
As for Trumpublicans and Nazism, when two things get too close for comfort Godwin's Law is irrelevant.

By, yeah, the misnomer of calling an opponent a Nazi is pretty universal

It has become difficult or even impossible NOT to be called a "Nazi" these days - for any kind of reasons.
Originally, only members of a certain party called "NSDAP" had that privilege ....

The fact that Trump and his cultists support the destruction of our electoral process just to keep him in power is something that will stay with us one way or another for generations to come. Get used to his name being brought up as a bad example for the same amount of time.

It is now applied to any threaded online discussion, such as Internet forums, chat rooms, and comment threads, as well as to speeches, articles, and other rhetoric[5][6] where reductio ad Hitlerum occurs.

I wonder whether Trump sooner or later will have the honour of a Wikipedia article that says:

"It is now applied to any threaded online discussion, such as Internet forums, chat rooms, and comment threads, as well as to speeches, articles, and other rhetoric[5][6] where reductio ad Trumpum occurs." :cool:

Or is there one already?
I suspect such a law would make sense around the 2040s.

The fact that Trump and his cultists support the destruction of our electoral process just to keep him in power is something that will stay with us one way or another for generations to come. Get used to his name being brought up as a bad example for the same amount of time.
We are all used to that already.

Back
Top Bottom