• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is there a way to put a mod on ignore?

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I noticed that mods have the special privilege of being exempt from ignore lists. I will not go into the details of the problem that I am having with one mod in particular, and I dont want to get involved in some kind of finger pointing debate either. I have what I feel is a legitimate argument to be made for putting a mod on my ignore list.

Now I do understand the rationale you have chosen for making mods ignore-less, since warnings are frequently posted inside of threads.

However, I would like to suggest an alternative method. That is, when a mod posts a warning in a thread, he or she can also send a PM to the offender. That way, the offender knows that he has been warned. At the same time, make it so that personal messages are not subject to ignore lists. After all, if a member gets a harrassing PM from another member, all he has to do is report it, and I am sure that the mod team can take it from there. Finally, make it so mods can also be ignored by regular users. Mods can still send warnings via PM's in addition to posting the warning in the thread. That way, the offender can't say that he or she wasn't warned.

The way I see it, mods are no different from regular members when it comes to posting. They can also be hostile, aggressive, and downright rude without breaking any major rules. This change in procedure will give everybody the ability to put this kind of poster on his ignore list, whether or not that person is a mod.

Thank you for listening, and I strongly believe that this is a good idea.

Last edited:
danarhea said:
Now I do understand the rationale you have chosen for making mods ignore-less, since warnings are frequently posted inside of threads. However, I would like to suggest an alternative method. That is, when a mod posts a warning in a thread, he or she can also send a PM to the offender. That way, the offender knows that he has been warned. At the same time, make it so that personal messages are not subject to ignore lists. After all, if a member gets a harrassing PM from another member, all he has to do is report it, and I am sure that the mod team can take it from there.
At the mod's discretion, a warning can be sent out via PM automatically. I'm not sure how far through the looking glass you want to see, but we do take the reported threads seriously and do keep track of those whom we warn. If we feel that the problems are stacking up, we'll PM the member and try a dialogue to get them to right their ship. Usually it works, sometimes it doesn't.

danarhea said:
The way I see it, mods are no different from regular members when it comes to posting. They can also be hostile, aggressive, and downright rude without breaking any major rules. This change in procedure will give everybody the ability to put this kind of poster on his ignore list, whether or not that person is a mod.
The thing that is important here is that we all feel comfortable digging in here. The beach should be open for everyone as long as they're not kicking sand in other people's faces. Those rules apply to all of us, mods included. This is a fast moving board sometimes and we're not able to catch everything we should, especially when a moderator is breaking the rules that we're enforcing. The best thing is to click on the "report this post" button and let us know. Right before you started, we had a moderator on board that was, well...., rather caustic. We tried to nudge him and get him on board and ended up removing his moderatorhood and suspending him. These aren't supreme court positions and we're not appointed for life is what I'm trying to say.

The best thing we've got to work with here is knowledge. That's the commerce and commodity we're dealing with on this board and it should carry on up the eschalons here. Knowing that a moderator is causing a problem is worth gold in making this a great forum.

I'm not sure if that helps you or not, but the open dialogue is what it's all about.

danarhea said:
I noticed that mods have the special privilege of being exempt from ignore lists. I will not go into the details of the problem that I am having with one mod in particular, and I dont want to get involved in some kind of finger pointing debate either. I have what I feel is a legitimate argument to be made for putting a mod on my ignore list.

Now I do understand the rationale you have chosen for making mods ignore-less, since warnings are frequently posted inside of threads.

However, I would like to suggest an alternative method. That is, when a mod posts a warning in a thread, he or she can also send a PM to the offender. That way, the offender knows that he has been warned. At the same time, make it so that personal messages are not subject to ignore lists. After all, if a member gets a harrassing PM from another member, all he has to do is report it, and I am sure that the mod team can take it from there. Finally, make it so mods can also be ignored by regular users. Mods can still send warnings via PM's in addition to posting the warning in the thread. That way, the offender can't say that he or she wasn't warned.

Thank you for listening, and I strongly believe that this is a good idea.

I don't want to be rude Dan, but is this just not like asking to put your Tenth grade Math teacher on your ignore list? You obviously don't like him, you feel he singles you out, and you would like never to see him again, just get your assignments from your best bud Pete. This is not the real world my friend, and I think you can do better then this, this is just my friendly advice to you.;)

Deegan said:
I don't want to be rude Dan, but is this just not like asking to put your Tenth grade Math teacher on your ignore list? You obviously don't like him, you feel he singles you out, and you would like never to see him again, just get your assignments from your best bud Pete. This is not the real world my friend, and I think you can do better then this, this is just my friendly advice to you.;)

Lets take me out of the equation and look at the orignal post of this thread again. Are you arguing that mods are different than others, due to a superior mindset that makes them never tick off anyone? I dont believe you would really agree with that stance.

All I am saying is that I came up with an idea, whereas someone could put a mod on their ignore list too. Why not? We can put anyone else on it, so why not a mod, and this doesnt just apply to the mod I am having trouble with. Quite a few people would like to put a mod of their choice on ignore. I am simply saying that it would not be such a bad thing.

danarhea said:
Lets take me out of the equation and look at the orignal post of this thread again. Are you arguing that mods are different than others, due to a superior mindset that makes them never tick off anyone? I dont believe you would really agree with that stance.

All I am saying is that I came up with an idea, whereas someone could put a mod on their ignore list too. Why not? We can put anyone else on it, so why not a mod, and this doesnt just apply to the mod I am having trouble with. Quite a few people would like to put a mod of their choice on ignore. I am simply saying that it would not be such a bad thing.

Fair enough, let us take you out of the equation, and insert......let's say me.;)

If I were to not appreciate a mod, and not like what it is he/she has to say, and would like to not hear him/her, or his/her response, I would simply scroll past those posts. What I would not do is this, I would not let him know he has gotten to me, I would not ignore him/her just because I disagreed, nor would I want the rest of the community to know I could not hold my own with this person! I would also not ask anyone to change the rules to suit me, that's not realistic, nor is it possible. The reasons for mods are clear, to moderate, so to block them would be ridiculous, and dangerous. It's a slippery slope argument, and if you're allowed, soon everyone would follow, and soon mods would be ignored totally.

I like you Dan, I know you are an intelligent man, just show that to everyone else you don't like, or agree with, I am quite certain you can live under these terms, as we all do.;)

I like the idea, but I do not believe it would be viable with our current moderation efforts.
We propably should PM more often, but we do like the forum to know that we are looking into it as well.

Best statement in the thread:
Shuamort said:
Those rules apply to all of us, mods included. This is a fast moving board sometimes and we're not able to catch everything we should, especially when a moderator is breaking the rules that we're enforcing. The best thing is to click on the "report this post" button and let us know.

We tug on each other without hesitation when we disagree or see a questionable mod action, feel free to do the same. If you have any issue what-so-ever with a mod, report the post. Like Shuamort said, this is gold to us and we are pretty tuff on each other if we find a screw up. Then, we will correct it.

The mods wouldn't hesitate to call me on an action - I am the owner even! :shock:

Deegan said:
Fair enough, let us take you out of the equation, and insert......let's say me.;)

If I were to not appreciate a mod, and not like what it is he/she has to say, and would like to not hear him/her, or his/her response, I would simply scroll past those posts. What I would not do is this, I would not let him know he has gotten to me, I would not ignore him/her just because I disagreed, nor would I want the rest of the community to know I could not hold my own with this person! I would also not ask anyone to change the rules to suit me, that's not realistic, nor is it possible. The reasons for mods are clear, to moderate, so to block them would be ridiculous, and dangerous. It's a slippery slope argument, and if you're allowed, soon everyone would follow, and soon mods would be ignored totally.

I like you Dan, I know you are an intelligent man, just show that to everyone else you don't like, or agree with, I am quite certain you can live under these terms, as we all do.;)

Fair enough on your response, but if all one has to do is scroll down posts they feel are abusive, then there would never be a need to implement an ignore button, would there. Fact is, there is an ignore button, and it is there for a reason. I favor being able to add a mod to an ignore list. After all, mods are like everyone else in this forum, when it comes to posting.

I am not suggesting that any mods are breaking the rules, but I am suggesting that mods, just like anyone else, have their peccadillos too, and if someone wants to ignore a mod, he or she should be able to do so. There is absolutely nothing wrong in bringing it up.

And its not about changing the rules, but a method, and I feel the method is a good one.

Finally, after all, this IS the suggestions forum.

vauge said:
I like the idea, but I do not believe it would be viable with our current moderation efforts.
We propably should PM more often, but we do like the forum to know that we are looking into it as well.

Best statement in the thread:

We tug on each other without hesitation when we disagree or see a questionable mod action, feel free to do the same. If you have any issue what-so-ever with a mod, report the post. Like Shuamort said, this is gold to us and we are pretty tuff on each other if we find a screw up. Then, we will correct it.

The mods wouldn't hesitate to call me on an action - I am the owner even! :shock:

You are saying that, technically, it would be unduly difficult, if not impossible, to actually implement something like this?

danarhea said:
Fair enough on your response, but if all one has to do is scroll down posts they feel are abusive, then there would never be a need to implement an ignore button, would there. Fact is, there is an ignore button, and it is there for a reason. I favor being able to add a mod to an ignore list. After all, mods are like everyone else in this forum, when it comes to posting.

I am not suggesting that any mods are breaking the rules, but I am suggesting that mods, just like anyone else, have their peccadillos too, and if someone wants to ignore a mod, he or she should be able to do so. There is absolutely nothing wrong in bringing it up.

And its not about changing the rules, but a method, and I feel the method is a good one.

Finally, after all, this IS the suggestions forum.

You bring up a great point, ignore lists are used here, I personally think that is silly, and if anything was changed, it would be that, if I were to be in charge. To your point, why have mods, just let everyone who has a problem with another, put that person on the ignore list, no mods needed? I prefer to let people "hug it out" or work it out however they can, some can't, and those folks are removed. I just think that if you are that sensitive(and I am certainly not referring to you) those folks should just stay off of forums all together, but I am a real hardass.;)

danarhea said:
You are saying that, technically, it would be unduly difficult, if not impossible, to actually implement something like this?
Impossible? No.

If someone is ignored, it affects PM's as well. It would be a challenge to re-code it specifically for the mods PM's to get through but the posts do not.

vauge said:
Impossible? No.

If someone is ignored, it affects PM's as well. It would be a challenge to re-code it specifically for the mods PM's to get through but the posts do not.

OK. I understand why now. Although I feel that mods, just like any other member of this board, are prone to tick people off, and that there should be an option to also put a mod on ignore, I understand the trouble that it would take to implement such a move.

Oh well, good idea while it lasted. :)

I think one of the problems here is

If a mod has the privledge of not being put on ignore then they should at least NOT have the privledge of speaking in the basement. Either that, or they should just be smart enough to avoid the basement so as to make sure there isn't any ill feelings.

And thats all I'm gonna say on that subject.

FinnMacCool said:

If a mod has the privledge of not being put on ignore then they should at least NOT have the privledge of speaking in the basement. Either that, or they should just be smart enough to avoid the basement so as to make sure there isn't any ill feelings.

As someone who just got his butt royally skewered in the basement by a mod, I would disagree with you. No, I am not masochistic. LOL. The basement is for everyone to blow off steam in. Just as I posted before, mods are no different than other members, and I am sure that they need to blow off steam, just like everyone else. As long as what happens in the basement stays in the basement, mods, as well as regular members, can call me a degenerate who has sex with farm animals, if they want to. If the action and insults down in the basement bothers me too much, I always have the option of "turning the channel", as does everyone else. LOL. I should not have used that as an example. Someone will now undoubtedly start a thread down there saying I have sex with farm animals. LOL.

FinnMacCool said:

This is why I rarely visit the basement. Though recently I found myself there merely because a thread I was posting in was moved to the basement. After reviewing the thread several times I still have no idea why it was moved.

And that's probably not all I'm going to say on that subject.

Bottom line is the basement is open to Mods. It's completely up to the individual Mod. whether they frequent it or not. But, IMO, they should use some common sense regarding what they do and do not post while there.

Pacridge said:
This is why I rarely visit the basement. Though recently I found myself there merely because a thread I was posting in was moved to the basement. After reviewing the thread several times I still have no idea why it was moved.

And that's probably not all I'm going to say on that subject.

Bottom line is the basement is open to Mods. It's completely up to the individual Mod. whether they frequent it or not. But, IMO, they should use some common sense regarding what they do and do not post while there.

A mod got modded? That's a first. :)

I also got a post moved to the basement a couple weeks ago, and dont know why, since it was not inflammatory.

danarhea said:
A mod got modded? That's a first. :)

I also got a post moved to the basement a couple weeks ago, and dont know why, since it was not inflammatory.

Could be we're speaking of the same thread...Cheney shoots a guy?

Pacridge said:
Could be we're speaking of the same thread...Cheney shoots a guy?

No. Mine was on Pat Robertson. Hmmmm, since the subject was Pat Robertson, maybe it DID belong in the basement. :)

danarhea said:
I will not go into the details of the problem that I am having with one mod in particular.
You don't have to. We all see it. I'm sure it stings.

KCConservative said:
The Mod team is working on a solution to become more transparent.

Look for an announcement shortly. We will be soliciting for help.

KCConservative said:

Are you gloating about danarhea's problem with a mod? Please tell me you're not. I'm only asking for clarification.

aps said:
Are you gloating about danarhea's problem with a mod? Please tell me you're not. I'm only asking for clarification.

The idea for transparency was not concluded from this thread.

We are definatly not gloating. :rofl

vauge said:
The idea for transparency was not concluded from this thread.

We are definatly not gloating. :rofl

Oh, vauge, I know you would never gloat. I thought that KC might be gloating. I hope not.

aps said:
Oh, vauge, I know you would never gloat. I thought that KC might be gloating. I hope not.

I dont care if he is. I have him on ignore now :)

aps said:
Nope, just pointing out that it's frivolous to try and hide who's he's quarreling with. It's apparant to all that he and cnredd go round and round. It must sting to have his *** handed to him so often.

Nope, just pointing out that it's frivolous to try and hide who's he's quarreling with. It's apparant to all that he and cnredd go round and round. It must sting to have his *** handed to him so often.

In other words, your gloating cause you can't help yourself can you? I wish they would ban you. They should've done it the first time around.

Back
Top Bottom