• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is there a psychological component to being poor, and/or on government assistance?

Re: Is there a psychological component to being poor, and/or on government assistance

The modern liberal philosophy in our country encourages people to become pessimistic and envious of the heights of human potential.

“A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.”

― Winston Churchill

No. But the video (along with the reference provided in the video) offers an explanation of a correlation between life situation and the psychological phenomena that may make being impoverished cyclical.

Re: Is there a psychological component to being poor, and/or on government assistance

I believe I understand it better than progressive liberals. My position on poverty is best stated by Malthus (see my signature line).

Finding a job is usually associated with finding someone who is willing to pay you to do something for THEM. What would happen over time if welfare went away is people would engage themselves in productive activities to help THEMSELVES (whatever that means for them) regardless of whether someone else was agreeing to pay them over time. That's the point. If there is no safety net, you become motivated to work hard to see your own needs met. Even some homeless folks are hard workers (just that they're hard at work meeting their own needs, whatever those are).

Your signature is not valuable to me because it is not reflective of reality. For one, if welfare went away you'd have a lot of people (mostly women) along with people with criminal records limping on in society. There are people who struggle in society and need assistance. People such as those who have foreclosed homes and no viable income need help, along with those who are disabled. If you get rid of social assistance programs you will do more harm than good. What government assistance programs need is a revamping of the infrastructure

A typical liberal crock to justify dependence on the gov't. Never discussed is when General Welfare comes to the rescue that the "stress" excuse is then gone, the "free" money has arrived, a good night's sleep can be had and the next day the IQ is restored to the normal level.

Funny that we were told that jobs were stressful; but it is really no job that causes stress. Who knew? Think goodness we now have that study to explain that the poor are just too stressed out to find work. ;)
The article does NOT say that the decreased cognitive function of the poorer subjects is caused by stress. The TYT hosts said that, not the article they are blabbering on about. They are obviously liars who live in opposite-land.

Actually the article specifically rules out stress as the cause and suggests that it is "because poverty-related concerns consume mental resources, leaving less for other tasks."

No. But the video (along with the reference provided in the video) offers an explanation of a correlation between life situation and the psychological phenomena that may make being impoverished cyclical.
Actually as I've noted above the host on the TYT vid directly contradicts the article that it references.

Last edited:

The article does NOT say that the decreased cognitive function of the poorer subjects is caused by stress. The TYT hosts said that, not the article they are blabbering on about. They are obviously liars who live in opposite-land.

Actually the article specifically rules out stress as the cause and suggests that it is "because poverty-related concerns consume mental resources, leaving less for other tasks."

Actually as I've noted above the host on the TYT vid directly contradicts the article that it references.

Well I used TYT as a precursor to the article. My point merely was to address the psychological phenomena like stress affecting impoverished people.

Typical conservative trash which, of course, you've proven them right.

The video was not talking about people depending on the government based on the lack of will, it's talking about the psychological effect of stress upon those who run into financial problems. If you actually did research (which I'm sure you don't anyway to justify the conservative ignorance) you'd understand that their are elements to being impoverished such as resorting to drugs and alcohol along with a host of other psychological ailments.

If the financial problems permit the purchase of alcohol and/or drugs then they are not the "root cause" of the problem, so adding public funds will not solve them.

Good point but the solution, as I stated, is not to simply inject money into the situation, which will likely not be allocated correctly. When you are up to your ass in alligators, it is hard to remember that the mission was to simply drain the swamp.

The problems people experience, by making bad decisions due to diminished mental capacity or lack of mission focus, are not corrected by tossing taxpayer cash at them. This is my main objection to the one size fits all social "safety net" system; it is not at all concerned with diagnosis and cure, since it has but one treatment plan - to toss other people's money at the situation.

If the financial problems permit the purchase of alcohol and/or drugs then they are not the "root cause" of the problem, so adding public funds will not solve them.

You are missing the point (as usual)...

Alcohol and drug use is often used by those who are incapable of dealing with social stressors in order to mitigate the stress they're dealing with as far as their current circumstances are concerned. I was merely referring to a potential relationship in the lack of will in some people in these conditions as the consumption of alcohol or drug use, may decrease the liklihood that someone with a "sober mind" may want to get themselves out of that condition. That is one way of looking at it. The other way is the psychological factors of "no hope." Imagine someone who gets divorced after so many years, loses their home, kids (or kid), finances, and ultimately their job. If no social resources are available to assist those in financial and social crisis then how do we answer for the tens of millions? You simply can't tell someone "hey, stop complaining and get a job" or as some of the people on this board do "My parents came from nothing and they made it."

People here often times make the mistake of using their own personal experiences as if their own experiences are applicable to everyone else, which is not because we all have varying circumstances and conditions. Immigrants who come to this country especially pre and post depression had some kind of help. It wasn't as if you come to this country then all of a sudden you work hard and then BAM! you made it. At some point in those times society has helped the impoverished who today are successful now. However the social conditions then and now are totally differrent as the circumstances of impoverished people are different. What you and everyone else fail to realize is that it's not about throwing money at people, it's about affording people the opportunity to work and sustain a way of life which will support them. Not only that but to assist others with life skills that will benefit them through life. But we must also realize that there are psychological factors that may effect people in wanting to obtain a better condition, as I've mentioned countless times, if you live in a gang infested area where there are no people to guide you in the right direction you will most likely be influenced by your environment especially if you had a choice between a fast life such as gangs and selling drugs or working a minimum wage job in which you get paid bi-weekly.

If people's psyche in these conditions are geared towards easy money because that is all they know then there is that factual element of cause and effect that tends to happen. The problem with conservatives is that they have no answer for the different variables that afflict people in impoverished conditions.

Good point but the solution, as I stated, is not to simply inject money into the situation, which will likely not be allocated correctly. When you are up to your ass in alligators, it is hard to remember that the mission was to simply drain the swamp.

The problems people experience, by making bad decisions due to diminished mental capacity or lack of mission focus, are not corrected by tossing taxpayer cash at them. This is my main objection to the one size fits all social "safety net" system; it is not at all concerned with diagnosis and cure, since it has but one treatment plan - to toss other people's money at the situation.

The problem you have is you equate people in impoverished conditions with bad choices.....

This is where I agree with TYT in the video.

You don't know the circumstances of which people are going through so it's asinine of you to interpret the social conditions of people in poverty with bad choices. How do you know that? Have you interviewed every single person and just accumilated in your mind that those whom you've spoken to made bad choices? Are you going by people you know? TV? Some conservative blog site? You don't know. I am a taxpayer just like everyone else and I was also one of those who needed government assistance. If I never had it, I wouldn't have been able to provide sustenance for myself, along with resources that were able to help me to live. Again, you are not listening.

The banks employ NO ONE.

Are you pretending to be a complete ignoramus retard? You're doing a very good job acting as one.

The top ten banks (alone) employ over a MILLION people.

Where do you think these MILLION people get their paychecks from?
Who do you think sits behind the counters at the teller lines? Volunteers??
Who do you think sit at the little desks, off to the side of the tellers?
Who do you think completes your loan applications? Your mortgage applications? Your account applications?

Congratulations. I've heard a lot of stupid lines on this board, but this is the new #1.

Back
Top Bottom