• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is there a psychological component to being poor, and/or on government assistance?

Hypersonic

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Re: Is there a psychological component to being poor, and/or on government assistance

Discuss

Bravo to you for posting this. I read about this study and found it very interesting and not remotely surprising. I have been kicking the idea around for quite awhile of posting something about akin to this; the compulsion of many to blame the poor for being poor. There are far too many contributing factors to take such a stance. Anyone who has every been down and out can attest to the reality of it's impact on an individual. The responses here should be interesting.

Re: Is there a psychological component to being poor, and/or on government assistance

Bravo to you for posting this. I read about this study and found it very interesting and not remotely surprising. I have been kicking the idea around for quite awhile of posting something about akin to this; the compulsion of many to blame the poor for being poor. There are far too many contributing factors to take such a stance. Anyone who has every been down and out can attest to the reality of it's impact on an individual. The responses here should be interesting.

Thanks Open. I felt it was important to post the video along with the link to the study so that we may address those underlined issues we here are always debating about. I know for myself, I'm used to trying to get people to realize the contributing factors of the cyclical attitudes of those in poverty. As we all know, as as the video states, getting out of poverty is not simply "going out and looking for a job."

getting out of poverty is not simply "going out and looking for a job."

Way too simplistic an understanding about what creates and traps someone in poverty in the first place. I can't help but wonder if those who hold this view have ever experienced the weight of poverty themselves.

Way too simplistic an understanding about what creates and traps someone in poverty in the first place. I can't help but wonder if those who hold this view have ever experienced the weight of poverty themselves.

Probably not which is the sad part, but I wonder where are the people who hold those views? Where are they in this thread?

Probably not which is the sad part, but I wonder where are the people who hold those views? Where are they in this thread?

Give it time. They'll show up

Give it time. They'll show up

I'm reading and catching up on threads, and my wife and I are watching "The White Queen" on Starz, so I can't watch the video yet.

Be assured, I will weigh in as soon as I have the time to watch the video. I feel it untruthful and disingenuous to discuss such a serious subject as is in this thread without watching the basis for the OP's position.

I would like to say, that even without watching the video, I feel this is a great subject for a thread, so thanks to the OP.

Can we have a Mod merge the two identical threads, since Lizzie has already posted in the other thread???

"Something something personal responsibility"

Anyway, it's well documented how poverty is a perpetuating state. Especially with regard to future generations. It means less knowledge and education as a kid, less exposure to critical thinking situations, less encouragement, less opportunity, fewer resources to help a kid that falls behind or has troubles. The average person does not actually have the intelligence, ambition, and opportunity to move up out of poverty. It really does take someone extraordinary. Which is a wholly unreasonable thing to expect. No one should be trapped in poverty, and being born into poverty should not nearly guarantee that you will stay there. That is not the American way.

Learned helplessness is one possible outcome that comes to mind. Obviously an extended period in poverty will make anyone demoralized. I've read enough interviews with ex cons to know that in some cases it is possible to rise out of poverty, but in all those cases, they had decent social support. They knew someone who knew someone who owned a custom paint business, or at least they had a place to stay while seeking work. Without any support, the odds of recovering are lousy indeed.

There was very little of these 'handouts' we often hear conservatives in an uproar about, and when there was, it was pretty useless. I sure wouldn't want to be in their situation. Finding so much as an apartment was near impossible. One guy blew the entirety of a few paychecks, while he stayed at a homeless shelter, just on app fees. With a criminal record, forget it. Even if they had a kid, they might have to resort to drug dealing or put up with an abusive spouse.

Especially since some had quite a lot of debt - parole fees, restitution, child support, student loans - it became overwhelming and they'd shift from inability to focus, to emotional breakdown. I would be interested in what the study controlled for, since drug use is also common. Someone goes on a crack spree in detroit for a week? Well, is the addiction or the stress or other factors to blame for lower IQ?

I watched 30 seconds of it and turned it off. Within 30 seconds the host lies and directly contradicts and misrepresents the article's hypothesis. The hosts at TYT are lying scumbags. Why haven't you figured that out yet?

Could be......look at Dick Cheney. If that son-of-a-bitch(shoot-a-friend-in-the-face) is an example of normal the seven billion people in the world are in deep ****. His lying to get us into a war with Iraq made him $25 million from his stock in Halliburton. What is the difference in one person having an IQ which differs 13 points higher or lower than someone else? 100 is average. That means there are as many people with an IQ less than 100 as there are who have an IQ above. The reason people are classed poor is the stupid, arrogant, selfish policies of the Republican party during the last thirty years.

There are many millionaires with a sub normal IQ. Finding something to do, working hard, saving etc. has made many people rich. Thanks to the policies of Reagan and the Bushes people with a college degree are working at McDonald's for sub standard wages and no benefits.

Last edited:

Learned helplessness is one possible outcome that comes to mind. Obviously an extended period in poverty will make anyone demoralized. I've read enough interviews with ex cons to know that in some cases it is possible to rise out of poverty, but in all those cases, they had decent social support. They knew someone who knew someone who owned a custom paint business, or at least they had a place to stay while seeking work. Without any support, the odds of recovering are lousy indeed.

There was very little of these 'handouts' we often hear conservatives in an uproar about, and when there was, it was pretty useless. I sure wouldn't want to be in their situation. Finding so much as an apartment was near impossible. One guy blew the entirety of a few paychecks, while he stayed at a homeless shelter, just on app fees. With a criminal record, forget it. Even if they had a kid, they might have to resort to drug dealing or put up with an abusive spouse.

Especially since some had quite a lot of debt - parole fees, restitution, child support, student loans - it became overwhelming and they'd shift from inability to focus, to emotional breakdown. I would be interested in what the study controlled for, since drug use is also common. Someone goes on a crack spree in detroit for a week? Well, is the addiction or the stress or other factors to blame for lower IQ?

What about Abe Lincoln or the thousands upon thousands of other people who've earned a life for themselves and accomplished the American Dream by pulling themselves out of poverty before there was such a thing as welfare? The rest of your post gives the scenario of an utter failure of self control and accountability....what if I decided to smoke crack, what if I was foolish enough to spend multiple paychecks on application fees, what if I decided to have a child that I couldn't support, what if I decided to commit a felony and go to prison while leaving that child at home, etc...

What about Abe Lincoln or the thousands upon thousands of other people who've earned a life for themselves and accomplished the American Dream by pulling themselves out of poverty before there was such a thing as welfare? The rest of your post gives the scenario of an utter failure of self control and accountability....what if I decided to smoke crack, what if I was foolish enough to spend multiple paychecks on application fees, what if I decided to have a child that I couldn't support, what if I decided to commit a felony and go to prison while leaving that child at home, etc...

American dream? It has become a nightmare because of the Republican agenda since Reagan slashed tax rates for the rich and borrowed from foreign banks to cover the shortfall.

What were tax rates on the rich during Abe Lincoln's life?

American dream? It has become a nightmare because of the Republican agenda since Reagan slashed tax rates for the rich and borrowed from foreign banks to cover the shortfall.

What were tax rates on the rich during Abe Lincoln's life?

Abraham Lincoln presided over a society which owned slaves, bought them on an auction block, checked their genitals to be certain they were getting good breeding stock, etc. Right now what the Republican party wants is financial slavery. Oh Well......the common man has gained one thing. They don't check his genitals...just his bank account.

Way to answer my question. Keep letting that envy eat you up.

Abraham Lincoln presided over a society which owned slaves, bought them on an auction block, checked their genitals to be certain they were getting good breeding stock, etc. Right now what the Republican party wants is financial slavery. Oh Well......the common man has gained one thing. They don't check his genitals...just his bank account.

there are far too many left-wingers-especially those who gain power pandering to the poor-who want to blame the successful for the plight of the unsuccessful

like most of your posts on wealth and poverty, that is completely inane. Its the left that needs a large self-sustaining mass of dependent people to remain in power.

Could be......look at Dick Cheney. If that son-of-a-bitch(shoot-a-friend-in-the-face) is an example of normal the seven billion people in the world are in deep ****. His lying to get us into a war with Iraq made him $25 million from his stock in Halliburton. What is the difference in one person having an IQ which differs 13 points higher or lower than someone else? 100 is average. That means there are as many people with an IQ less than 100 as there are who have an IQ above. The reason people are classed poor is the stupid, arrogant, selfish policies of the Republican party during the last thirty years.

There are many millionaires with a sub normal IQ. Finding something to do, working hard, saving etc. has made many people rich. Thanks to the policies of Reagan and the Bushes people with a college degree are working at McDonald's for sub standard wages and no benefits.

why are you bashing athletes who generally vote for your messiah Obama? This sort of rant is nothing more than the concession that you apparently are envious of those who have achieved more than you have

Way to answer my question. Keep letting that envy eat you up.

Envy??

I've posted here 20 times that I was a Republican for thirty years, Eisenhower thru Reagan's first term. I was a Republican when they stood for balanced budgets and a middle class. Now I wouldn't give them enough warm piss to take a pill. All they stand for now is corporations and the wealthy. The good news......they've been found out. They've lost the popular vote is five of the last six presidential elections. If we can elect a majority in the house and maintain the senate we're going to show you what "All Men Are Created Equal" really means. That's Whites, Blacks, Latinos, Asians, Gays, Women, the intellectually challenged, the disabled, the blind etc. There must be something better than 1% having all the money:

mj-averagehouseholdincome.jpg

Envy??

I've posted here 20 times that I was a Republican for thirty years, Eisenhower thru Reagan's first term. I was a Republican when they stood for balanced budgets and a middle class. Now I wouldn't give them enough warm piss to take a pill. All they stand for now is corporations and the wealthy. The good news......they've been found out. They've lost the popular vote is five of the last six presidential elections. If we can elect a majority in the house and maintain the senate we're going to show you what "All Men Are Created Equal" really means. That's Whites, Blacks, Latinos, Asians, Gays, Women, the intellectually challenged, the disabled, the blind etc. There must be something better than 1% having all the money:

So you think people who were too dumb to keep the 1% from getting all the money are going to figure out how to get some of it?

That will be some trick!

:lamo

like most of your posts on wealth and poverty, that is completely inane. Its the left that needs a large self-sustaining mass of dependent people to remain in power.

Tax cuts are the key. When Reagan slashed tax rates for the wealthy to levels not seem in 50 years and continued to spend at an increased rate he quadrupled the national debt. That means that he effectively borrowed trillions from foreign banks and funneled it into the coffers of the wealthiest people in the nation:

6-25-10inc-f1.jpg

3.jpg

Envy??

Two things I have a question about regarding your last point. While we all would like less income inequality, and many posts mention this, I have not any coherent solutions. If you or either party have them what are they.

After saying that. I heard that Twitter is about to go public. This will mean that the founder will become a billionaire and many workers will become instant millionaires. How does the fact that these people get rich stop others from moving into the middle class?

Another example, there was a boxing match last night. The winner will receive at least $41 million for his evening's effort. Again how does that adversely impact others from earning a living.

Tax cuts are the key. When Reagan slashed tax rates for the wealthy to levels not seem in 50 years and continued to spend at an increased rate he quadrupled the national debt. That means that he effectively borrowed trillions from foreign banks and funneled it into the coffers of the wealthiest people in the nation:

6-25-10inc-f1.jpg

that is based on your silly assumption that the rich have a duty to fund all the garbage you wanted. They don't.

the rich NOW pay a far higher share of the income tax bill then the rest of country

Back
Top Bottom