• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is there a legitimate excuse for either candidate getting out of the debate?

Is there a legitimate excuse for either candidate getting out of the debate?

• Yes, and I plan to vote for Trump

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, and I plan to vote thirty party

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Cardinal

Respected On All Sides
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Just curious where people stand on this. The wording of the question is extremely tricky so please answer the spirit of the question rather than merciless dissecting the semantics.

Trump and Biden are scheduled to participate in three debates on September 29, October 15, and October 22. Biden has publicly made it clear he will debate Trump, though I can find no clear public confirmation by trump himself. All I've found are a couple statements by the Trump Campaign that he intends to debate Biden.

That being said, is there any excuse for Biden or Trump to duck out of the debate? As I said, please try to address the spirit of the question, so let's ignore obvious emergencies that would physically prevent one or both candidates from participating (car crash, tidal wave, giant meteor, Chinese military invasion, etc).

Remember that your answer, and therefore your standard, applies to both candidates and not just the one you don't plan on voting for.

1)Yes, and I plan to vote for Biden
2)No, and I plan to vote for Biden
3)Yes, and I plan to vote for Trump
4)No, and I plan to vote for Trump
5)Yes, and I plan to vote thirty party
6)No, and I plan to vote thirty party
7)Yes, and I'm not going to vote
8)No, and I'm not going to vote

Trump campaign mum after aide confirms he’ll debate Biden 3 times - POLITICO

absolutely

the i don't think it is in the best interest of my campaign to participate in the debates, rationale

it would be a more difficult sell by biden since he has already agreed to participate

and tRump has already opted not to participate in a debate, previously

Just curious where people stand on this. The wording of the question is extremely tricky so please answer the spirit of the question rather than merciless dissecting the semantics.

Trump and Biden are scheduled to participate in three debates on September 29, October 15, and October 22. Biden has publicly made it clear he will debate Trump, though I can find no clear public confirmation by trump himself. All I've found are a couple statements by the Trump Campaign that he intends to debate Biden.

That being said, is there any excuse for Biden or Trump to duck out of the debate? As I said, please try to address the spirit of the question, so let's ignore obvious emergencies that would physically prevent one or both candidates from participating (car crash, tidal wave, giant meteor, Chinese military invasion, etc).

Remember that your answer, and therefore your standard, applies to both candidates and not just the one you don't plan on voting for.

I'm sure the Biden campaign and the media will spin up some acceptable excuse for him to decline.

I'm sure the Biden campaign and the media will spin up some acceptable excuse for him to decline.

So I assume you've voted for the fourth, sixth or eighth option then?

E555C070-A58D-4B62-9760-35940CA085C8.jpg

Trump spokeswoman Erin Perrine appeared on Fox News and said the campaign has come to an agreement with the commission. “Yes, we have agreed with the debate commission,” Perrine said in response to a Fox interviewer’s question about whether there was a formal understanding to appear in the three televised debates with Biden.

But in follow-up questions to the Trump campaign, officials would not say whether the president would participate in three debates — scheduled for Sept. 29, Oct. 15 and Oct. 22 — if Biden doesn’t acquiesce to the request for an additional debate Trump has been pushing to get on the calendar.

It's part childish attempt to assert dominance: look at me make him debate again!

It's part a play to his stupid, gullible, and dishonest base: he wants Biden to refuse a fourth debate, then he himself will refuse any debates (thus avoiding exposing his rambling incompetence even more), and then his base will on command say that the reason there weren't debates is because Biden was scared.

Sure, even a dead goldfish would understand that that is not what happened. There is a standing agreement to have three debates, and Trump is trying to weasel out. But when did truth, honor, or decency mean anything to those people?

“The Trump campaign and their allies have constructed an entirely fictional storyline to distract from Donald Trump’s failure to protect American lives during a once-in-a-generation pandemic, and now they're evidently confused about which lie they’re supposed to be telling,” Biden spokesman T.J. Ducklo said.

Nah, it's more that Trumpists will say whatever they're told to say. It doesn't matter if they throw a self-refudiating mix of lies at Biden. Trumpists will gleefully repeat them all. The few that understand how stupid what they're saying is will still do it in glee, beaming at the thought of a liberal somewhere being annoyed by the dishonesty.

Last edited:
So I assume you've voted for the fourth, sixth or eighth option then?

Nope. I don't like polls with qualifiers, so I didn't vote.

Now...if you had just given three options...yes, no, other...I would have voted other.

absolutely

the i don't think it is in the best interest of my campaign to participate in the debates, rationale

it would be a more difficult sell by biden since he has already agreed to participate

and tRump has already opted not to participate in a debate, previously

Both candidates have agreed to 3 debates. Trump is highly unlikely to opt out. Biden is between a rock and a hard place. If he makes an excuse to opt out, he's done. If he doesn't, who knows what he'll say.

Trump spokeswoman Erin Perrine appeared on Fox News and said the campaign has come to an agreement with the commission. “Yes, we have agreed with the debate commission,” Perrine said in response to a Fox interviewer’s question about whether there was a formal understanding to appear in the three televised debates with Biden.

But in follow-up questions to the Trump campaign, officials would not say whether the president would participate in three debates — scheduled for Sept. 29, Oct. 15 and Oct. 22 — if Biden doesn’t acquiesce to the request for an additional debate Trump has been pushing to get on the calendar.

It's part childish attempt to assert dominance: look at me make him debate again!

It's part a play to his stupid, gullible, and dishonest base: he wants Biden to refuse a fourth debate, then he himself will refuse any debates (thus avoiding exposing his rambling incompetence even more), and then his base will on command say that the reason there weren't debates is because Biden was scared.

Sure, even a dead goldfish would understand that that is not what happened. There is a standing agreement to have three debates, and Trump is trying to weasel out. But when did truth, honor, or decency mean anything to those people?

Yup, I'm aware that the Trump Campaign has been attempting to create extra demands which could potentially be used to get out of the three scheduled debates. One of those demands is a list of conservative moderators:

In a statement, Biden campaign spokesman Andrew Bates reiterated that the candidate ”will appear on the dates that the commission selected and in the locations they chose.”

“Donald Trump has not,” he said, “continually trying to insert his choice of friendly moderators, now including one who just published an op-ed offering ‘the case’ for Trump’s re-election.”

Conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt is among list of mostly Trump-friendly potential moderators suggested by the campaign, including Fox News hosts and contributors Maria Bartiromo, Shannon Bream, Dagen McDowell, Rachel Campos-Duffy, Harris Faulkner, Michael Goodwin, Bill Hemmer and Susan Li; former Fox host Brett Baier; Today anchor Hoda Kotb; and several CBS and ABC anchors and conservative radio hosts.

Trump campaign demands early September presidential debate | The Independent | Independent

When Biden finally admits he has dementia, then sure, he can be excused.

Now...if you had just given three options...yes, no, other...I would have voted other.

That's fine, then you can state for the record, "I, Mycroft, declare that there is no legitimate excuse for either candidate to duck out of the debate."

It sounds like you think Trump will bail on the debates. I agree that is very likely. He is a terrible debater and that means that debates are not "fair" to him. He also cannot deal with anyone criticizing him and usually walks out if that happens.

I think the dems are running the same game they did with Biden's convention speech. They hid Biden, let the "He doesn't even know where he is " narrative snowball, thus lowering expectations, and all he had to do was make it through without melting down. Bingo! It was his greatest speech ever! He's obviously razor sharp! Yeah right. Now Pelosi, the dems and their propaganda arm (MSM) are making it sound like "oh my God! He'll never debate Trump. NEVER! No way! Then, all he has to do is say he'll do it and BOOM! He's sharp as a razor. He'll clean Trumps clock. etc. That being said, if they have at least 1 fair debate without biased mods, Trump will win.

It sounds like you think Trump will bail on the debates. I agree that is very likely. He is a terrible debater and that means that debates are not "fair" to him.

Many of the people dunking on Biden for being too scared to debate Trump are curiously unwilling to go on the record and state two things categorically:

1)That Biden will not debate Trump, and
2)That Trump absolutely will not duck out of one or all of the scheduled debates.

That's fine, then you can state for the record, "I, Mycroft, declare that there is no legitimate excuse for either candidate to duck out of the debate."

No. I can't.

As I said..."other".

And what is "other"?

Not that I expect a straight answer, mind you.

Spin determines whether an excuse is legitimate or not...not what you, I or anyone else thinks.

Because you refused to make a choice. It really was not that difficult.

Your logic is faulty. (think about what you just said)

Moving on...

Well, the simple answer to your question is..... 'yes'

Where are Trump's tax returns???

Fortunately both Trump and Biden have agreed to three debates.....now if either drop out, come up with an artful excuse, then they are done. For no one will or ever will trust a candidate which drops out from a Presidential debate....simply toast.

Your logic is faulty. (think about what you just said)

Moving on...

I am not going to spell it out for you. We both agree that Trump will try and get out of the debates. It's a lose lose situation for him. He is only comfortable speaking to his choir.

Back
Top Bottom