• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is there a legitimate excuse for either candidate getting out of the debate?

Is there a legitimate excuse for either candidate getting out of the debate?

• Yes, and I plan to vote for Trump

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, and I plan to vote thirty party

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I am not going to spell it out for you. We both agree that Trump will try and get out of the debates. It's a lose lose situation for him. He is only comfortable speaking to his choir.

No. We don't "both agree".

But hey...if you chose not to defend your broken logic, so be it. It's no skin off my teeth.

Just curious where people stand on this. The wording of the question is extremely tricky so please answer the spirit of the question rather than merciless dissecting the semantics.

Trump and Biden are scheduled to participate in three debates on September 29, October 15, and October 22. Biden has publicly made it clear he will debate Trump, though I can find no clear public confirmation by trump himself. All I've found are a couple statements by the Trump Campaign that he intends to debate Biden.

That being said, is there any excuse for Biden or Trump to duck out of the debate? As I said, please try to address the spirit of the question, so let's ignore obvious emergencies that would physically prevent one or both candidates from participating (car crash, tidal wave, giant meteor, Chinese military invasion, etc).

Remember that your answer, and therefore your standard, applies to both candidates and not just the one you don't plan on voting for.

1)Yes, and I plan to vote for Biden
2)No, and I plan to vote for Biden
3)Yes, and I plan to vote for Trump
4)No, and I plan to vote for Trump
5)Yes, and I plan to vote thirty party
6)No, and I plan to vote thirty party
7)Yes, and I'm not going to vote
8)No, and I'm not going to vote

Trump campaign mum after aide confirms he’ll debate Biden 3 times - POLITICO

Hmmmm....

They can debate if they want. I don't care. I have cable TV. I'll just watch WWII in Color, on the the History Channel or search some YouTube vids on metal detecting or fishing in the keys.

I didn't watch the DNC. I didn't watch the RNC.

I have, (and not by choice,) been watching DJT, on TV, on just about every damn channel on the dial, 24/7 for 4 years. His orange painted face repulses me. The words that come out of his mouth disgust me. His never-ending, pissing on our heads and telling us it's raining, his ignorant, fear-based conspiracy ramblings and outright lies only insult my intelligence.

It's too late for a debate.

The only thing I am looking forward to is Joe Biden, staring in a television camera and boldly pronouncing, "Donald J. Trump. You're fired." I wouldn't bet a nickel that is what will happen though. I can't stand to watch. Oh the suspense! LOL!

Last edited:
Hmmmm....

They can debate if they want. I don't care. I have cable TV. I'll just watch WWII in Color, on the the History Channel or search some YouTube vids on metal detecting or fishing in the keys.

I didn't watch the DNC. I didn't watch the RNC.

I have, (and not by choice,) been watching DJT, on TV, on just about every damn channel on the dial, 24/7 for 4 years. His orange painted face repulses me. The words that come out of his mouth disgust me. His never-ending, pissing on our heads and telling us it's raining, his ignorant, fear-based conspiracy ramblings and outright lies only insult my intelligence.

It's too late for a debate.

The only thing I am looking forward to is Joe Biden, staring in a television camera and boldly pronouncing, "Donald J. Trump. You're fired." I wouldn't bet a nickel that is what will happen though. I can't stand to watch. Oh the suspense! LOL!

i have an acquaintance who refuses to discuss tRump. when the topic comes up he asks "is tRump dead?" when the response is "no", he says "then i don't want to talk about him"

the point is, you are not alone in your weariness of the pervasive media accounts about tRump

I am not going to spell it out for you. We both agree that Trump will try and get out of the debates. It's a lose lose situation for him. He is only comfortable speaking to his choir.

I don’t believe trump will try to duck out of the debates. Traditionally the losing candidate wants more and sooner debates, both of which trump has already demanded.

I don’t believe trump will try to duck out of the debates. Traditionally the losing candidate wants more and sooner debates, both of which trump has already demanded.

You are probably right. They are most likely just trying to bluff to get their way.

Both candidates have agreed to 3 debates. Trump is highly unlikely to opt out. Biden is between a rock and a hard place. If he makes an excuse to opt out, he's done. If he doesn't, who knows what he'll say.

I agree mostly, but I think Biden would be FAR better off if he dropped out of the debates.

Sure - he'll take some heat from pundits on Fox News, but that will eventually blow over.

If Biden goes toe-to-toe with Trump it will be much worse for him - - Trump has accomplished more in 3.5 years that Biden has accomplished in over FOUR DECADES of public office. Trump will certainly exploit this fact - - it would be devastating for Biden.

this is the moment when the biden campaign should PUBLICLY counter the tRump campaign's request for a fourth debate with a condition consisting of one or more of the following:

ten years federal tax returns (2010-2019 personal and business) released to Robert Mueller (tendered not less than one week prior to the date of the added debate)

and/or

a one-mile bicycle race between joe and donald (no electric bikes allowed) to be televised on CSPAN

and/or

a push up contest between the two candidates, simultaneously performed, again televised on CSPAN

while we know the tRump campaign would never agree to any of those conditions, tRump's attempt to crow about negotiating for another debate will fail spectacularly and publicly. hell, he would lose in a one-handed water drinking contest against joe

this is the moment when the biden campaign should PUBLICLY counter the tRump campaign's request for a fourth debate with a condition consisting of one or more of the following:

ten years federal tax returns (2010-2019 personal and business) released to Robert Mueller (tendered not less than one week prior to the date of the added debate)

and/or

a one-mile bicycle race between joe and donald (no electric bikes allowed) to be televised on CSPAN

and/or

a push up contest between the two candidates, simultaneously performed, again televised on CSPAN

while we know the tRump campaign would never agree to any of those conditions, tRump's attempt to crow about negotiating for another debate will fail spectacularly and publicly. hell, he would lose in a one-handed water drinking contest against joe

I like those counter-demands. How many people here honestly think Trump could ride a bike or get through twenty pushups? Or, hell, five pushups.

Poll: Is there a legitimate excuse for either candidate getting out of the debate?

The poll is ridiculous... there is no law that compels candidates to debate. In fact, it's a stupid tradition.

I like those counter-demands. How many people here honestly think Trump could ride a bike or get through twenty pushups? Or, hell, five pushups.

LOL, that would be funny to watch.

Just curious where people stand on this. The wording of the question is extremely tricky so please answer the spirit of the question rather than merciless dissecting the semantics.

Trump and Biden are scheduled to participate in three debates on September 29, October 15, and October 22. Biden has publicly made it clear he will debate Trump, though I can find no clear public confirmation by trump himself. All I've found are a couple statements by the Trump Campaign that he intends to debate Biden.

That being said, is there any excuse for Biden or Trump to duck out of the debate? As I said, please try to address the spirit of the question, so let's ignore obvious emergencies that would physically prevent one or both candidates from participating (car crash, tidal wave, giant meteor, Chinese military invasion, etc).

Remember that your answer, and therefore your standard, applies to both candidates and not just the one you don't plan on voting for.

1)Yes, and I plan to vote for Biden
2)No, and I plan to vote for Biden
3)Yes, and I plan to vote for Trump
4)No, and I plan to vote for Trump
5)Yes, and I plan to vote thirty party
6)No, and I plan to vote thirty party
7)Yes, and I'm not going to vote
8)No, and I'm not going to vote

Trump campaign mum after aide confirms he’ll debate Biden 3 times - POLITICO

Done remotely, with the other guys mic cut off during a reply, Yes, they need to do it. Did not vote.

Laying on top a teenaged girl are not counted as pushups. Just so ya know.

Many of the people dunking on Biden for being too scared to debate Trump are curiously unwilling to go on the record and state two things categorically:

1)That Biden will not debate Trump, and
2)That Trump absolutely will not duck out of one or all of the scheduled debates.

1. Biden will have to debate Trump. If he doesn't, he'll loose in a landslide.
2. Trump absolutely will not duck out of one or all of the scheduled debates.[/QUOTE]

2. Trump absolutely will not duck out of one or all of the scheduled debates.

Biden has stated assertively (twice) that he's going to debate Trump. Trump has not made any sort of declarative statement, however his campaign said he may debate Biden.

So why, regardless of what people who aren't Biden are saying, are you so sure that Trump will not duck out of a debate, yet implying any doubt that Biden will?

Biden has stated assertively (twice) that he's going to debate Trump. Trump has not made any sort of declarative statement, however his campaign said he may debate Biden.

So why, regardless of what people who aren't Biden are saying, are you so sure that Trump will not duck out of a debate, yet implying any doubt that Biden will?

I didn't imply anything. I don't believe Biden has anything to loose and everything to gain by debating Trump. If he doesn't debate, he would surely loose the election. If he does well in the debate (read: doesn't melt down") he stands a very good chance of winning over the Ind.'s., hence winning the election. If he melts down, oh well, he would've lost anyway, if he didn't debate at all.

However, Trump has painted himself into a corner. He can't duck the debates, after saying everything to indicate Biden is a coward and won't debate him, because he doesn't know what planet he's on. So the way it looks now, if either one backs down, the Ind's will vote for the other candidate. It's all about the people on the fence. And before you say it, I have no clue how anybody familiar with the 2 candidates, could be on the fence at this point. I just hope the republic survives it. JMHO:peace

2. Trump absolutely will not duck out of one or all of the scheduled debates.

Both candidates have agreed to 3 debates. Trump is highly unlikely to opt out. Biden is between a rock and a hard place. If he makes an excuse to opt out, he's done. If he doesn't, who knows what he'll say.

@jamesrage @Cuttothechase @Conaeolos @trixare4kids @SkyChief @redbeer @Rollin'Da64

*cough*

Last edited:
*cough*

Trump refuses to participate in virtual debate on Oct. 15: 'I'm not going to waste my time'
The debate commission's decision to go to a virtual debate came six days after Trump announced he had tested positive for the coronavirus.
www.cnbc.com
www.cnbc.com

At this point, Trump has morphed into the alien in Independence Day and he wants Biden to join him in his cloud chamber.

tenor.gif

Sorry, no dice.

@jamesrage @Cuttothechase @Conaeolos @trixare4kids @SkyChief @redbeer @Rollin'Da64

*cough*

Trump didn't back out. He just said he wouldn't accept this format. At the time this post was made, the debate formats were already agreed on. Trump didn't change it, the commission did without even discussing it with them. I wouldn't agree to this "virtual" crap either. After the dirty trick they pulled with the town halls of "undecided voters", 2 of which were announced as Biden voters in a previous show, no way would I trust Biden in a room with no way to verify if he had an earpiece or a teleprompter, or someone off camera signaling him. No way. They need to be in the same room. By the time the debate gets here, Trump will have been testing negative long enough that he would be no threat.

Trump didn't back out. He just said he wouldn't accept this format. At the time this post was made, the debate formats were already agreed on. Trump didn't change it, the commission did without even discussing it with them. I wouldn't agree to this "virtual" crap either. After the dirty trick they pulled with the town halls of "undecided voters", 2 of which were announced as Biden voters in a previous show, no way would I trust Biden in a room with no way to verify if he had an earpiece or a teleprompter, or someone off camera signaling him. No way. They need to be in the same room. By the time the debate gets here, Trump will have been testing negative long enough that he would be no threat.

Poll question: "Is there a legitimate excuse for either candidate getting out of the debate?"

Mrdeltoid: "No, and I plan to vote for Trump."

Poll question: "Is there a legitimate excuse for either candidate getting out of the debate?"

Mrdeltoid: "No, and I plan to vote for Trump."
I stand corrected. If the party that cheated in the 2016 debate, insists on changing the format to put the candidates in separate locations where they can't be monitored for listening devices or staffers helping off camera, that's a legitimate excuse for getting out of the debate.

I stand corrected. If the party that cheated in the 2016 debate, insists on changing the format to put the candidates in separate locations where they can't be monitored for listening devices or staffers helping off camera, that's a legitimate excuse for getting out of the debate.

Nobody expected you to hold to your word, deltoid.

When Biden finally admits he has dementia, then sure, he can be excused.
So you think it is not ok to pull out but will vote for trump. Oh wait, you did not vote,,,, Really strange because so far 9 trump supporters have voted no but support trump, though he did drop out, hmmmm.

So you think it is not ok to pull out but will vote for trump. Oh wait, you did not vote,,,, Really strange because so far 9 trump supporters have voted no but support trump, though he did drop out, hmmmm.
I voted LP via absentee ballot, fyi

Back
Top Bottom