• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is there a difference between legal and illegal immigration to you?

Is there a difference between legal and illegal immigration to you?

• Total voters
The poll didn't ask about the character of the immigrant.

No, the poll asks about difference. Whether there is a difference, and whether that difference matters, depends on context.

Financial systems failing because of poor people?

I think you meant to say, our financial system failed in 2008 because a bunch of investment bankers grew a housing bubble that popped. Nowadays, our economy is humming along fine, so, I can only assume you went out of your way to take a jab at a non-existent threat.

if you dont think illegal immigration is causing a problem with our finances, you havent opened your eyes....and are blinded with partisanship

take a look at any the school districts in california, texas, arizona, new mexico....see how many kids from undocumented aliens are registered there

now, would our school districts budgets be bleeding as bad without all those kids?

i know these are hard working people for the most part...that isnt the point, nor should it be

my wife finally got her citizenship a number of years back, along with her parents

they came legally, and did things the RIGHT way....

we can and should make legal immigration easier....BUT there is a HUGE difference between legals, and illegals

one did all the hard work and put in the effort to make sure they came to this country the right way

the others...they snuck in under a fence in the dark of night

only your partisan blinders cant see the difference in the two

if you dont think illegal immigration is causing a problem with our finances, you havent opened your eyes....and are blinded with partisanship

take a look at any the school districts in california, texas, arizona, new mexico....see how many kids from undocumented aliens are registered there

now, would our school districts budgets be bleeding as bad without all those kids?

i know these are hard working people for the most part...that isnt the point, nor should it be

my wife finally got her citizenship a number of years back, along with her parents

they came legally, and did things the RIGHT way....

we can and should make legal immigration easier....BUT there is a HUGE difference between legals, and illegals

one did all the hard work and put in the effort to make sure they came to this country the right way

the others...they snuck in under a fence in the dark of night

only your partisan blinders cant see the difference in the two

I don't buy it. Those who have no power in a society, aren't hurting the society. The numbers aren't there. The real sucking off the system that ripples throughout society, is done at the Wall St. level through tax avoidance. Someone like Donald Trump, who wants to get rid of the Alternate Mininum Tax on the rich, is the problem. It's his fault. He's only pointing the finger at immigrants, because he knows the whole population responds to fear based stimuli. But, it's his fault.

Also most undocumented people I know, didn't sneak in under the cover of night, they overstayed VISAs.

To kind of make my point: does a candy bar's taste change depending on whether it is stolen or not? So if the conversation is about the taste of the candy bar, whether it is stolen or not is irrelevant. Now, it is highly relevant in other contexts, like whether you are going to be handcuffed in the near future for having that candy bar. Context always matters.
The conversation is not about taste. Is is about the stealing part. When the store owner closes the shop due to bankruptcy, do you really think he cared about the taste of the stolen candy bars?

Sent from my LG-V930 using Tapatalk

''other''
Initially and emotionally, they are two different things .. But, ten years down the road, the end result is the same - or should be ..
I like the concept of solving problems .. in this case, the permanent(seemingly) grinding poverty of those in Mexico, Central and South America ... improving the lives of the people without causing poverty here at home .. a balancing act ...
AND , trump's wall is the worst possible thing that can be done ..

Two separate things. I believe in sovereignty and that a government can make choices as to the people that are allowed into the country. I further believe that social customs are a much more powerful force than laws and therefore a government should not allow more people into the country than can be reasonably absorbed by the customs of that country. In the case of the US, we try to be a melting pot but if we allow too many people that don't melt than we have lost our identity. All countries seem to try to limit legal immigration for the reason that immigration impacts the nation. Illegal immigration impacts a nation in a way that the nation doesn't control or consent to. And the nation that suffers from excessive illegal immigration has lost control of power of the people, by the people, and for the people.

The conversation is not about taste. Is is about the stealing part. When the store owner closes the shop due to bankruptcy, do you really think he cared about the taste of the stolen candy bars?

Sent from my LG-V930 using Tapatalk

No it isn't. Maybe you should read the poll question.

I don't buy it. Those who have no power in a society, aren't hurting the society. The numbers aren't there. The real sucking off the system that ripples throughout society, is done at the Wall St. level through tax avoidance. Someone like Donald Trump, who wants to get rid of the Alternate Mininum Tax on the rich, is the problem. It's his fault. He's only pointing the finger at immigrants, because he knows the whole population responds to fear based stimuli. But, it's his fault.

Also most undocumented people I know, didn't sneak in under the cover of night, they overstayed VISAs.

buy it or not....it is the truth

you keep going back to the donald and the rich people....that has NOTHING to do with illegal aliens

that is an entirely different matter....

are taxes too low on the rich? or do we waste money left and right in this country? which is more true?

we need to lower spending....across the board....and then once we get the government back to right size, then we need to figure out how much it takes to actually run the country

and collect those taxes....not deficit spend....just like you and i can only spend what we earn, we need to force the local, state, and feds to operate the same damn way

but back to the illegals....their kids in those schools are costing us plenty...and if you cant admit that....you are no longer truthful about anything

buy it or not....it is the truth

you keep going back to the donald and the rich people....that has NOTHING to do with illegal aliens

that is an entirely different matter....

are taxes too low on the rich? or do we waste money left and right in this country? which is more true?

we need to lower spending....across the board....and then once we get the government back to right size, then we need to figure out how much it takes to actually run the country

and collect those taxes....not deficit spend....just like you and i can only spend what we earn, we need to force the local, state, and feds to operate the same damn way

but back to the illegals....their kids in those schools are costing us plenty...and if you cant admit that....you are no longer truthful about anything

It depends on how the schools get their funding. BTW, Illegal immigrants can own property and pay property taxes, which is how schools get their funding. They charge a millage rate.

I don't see it from your point of view. I think their high birth rates are a good thing for America, because they are introducing more people into the labor force and taxbase.

Obviously they are different, and I have two different rules.

For illegals: Build the wall, deport them all.
For legals: No welfare, or get deported.

It depends on how the schools get their funding. BTW, Illegal immigrants can own property and pay property taxes, which is how schools get their funding. They charge a millage rate.

I don't see it from your point of view. I think their high birth rates are a good thing for America, because they are introducing more people into the labor force and taxbase.

Why can't we just have more babies instead? Why are we destabilizing our own cultures with such a massive influx of young foreigners?

Why can't we just have more babies instead? Why are we destabilizing our own cultures with such a massive influx of young foreigners?

Because that is what America was built on. The Chinese built our railroads. We had Italian, Irish, Polish, Bohemian immigrants. It used to be common to hear Italian in public.

We aren't destabilizing our culture. I don't wish to spend the afternoon arguing immigrant crime statistics with you either.

Our Mexican brothers and sisters are safe, normal people, who want what you want for your children's future. Educational opportunity and economic stability. End of story.

Most immigrants, whether they be lawful or not, assimilate well in America. How is America destabilized?

It is not a criminal violation to enter the country illegally. The criminal aspect comes into play through all the other things they do to stay here.

Illegal entry is a criminal offense. But, all of the undocumented people I work with and have worked with in the past, overstayed their VISAs. Which is a civil matter. They didn't come the traditional, stowaway way.

Romanian/Bulgarian/Serbian/Macedonian people do this at very high rates in my city too. They come over on work VISAs and just never leave because they don't want to go back to ****ty infrastructures and low wages.

Because that is what America was built on. The Chinese built our railroads. We had Italian, Irish, Polish, Bohemian immigrants. It used to be common to hear Italian in public.

We aren't destabilizing our culture. I don't wish to spend the afternoon arguing immigrant crime statistics with you either.

Our Mexican brothers and sisters are safe, normal people, who want what you want for your children's future. Educational opportunity and economic stability. End of story.

No, America was built on American children. Immigration has never been this high relative to American birth rates. And no, Mexicans are literally not our brothers and sisters. That's why they're Mexicans, and not Americans.

Most immigrants, whether they be lawful or not, assimilate well in America. How is America destabilized?

Based on what? Be objective.

No, America was built on American children. Immigration has never been this high relative to American birth rates. And no, Mexicans are literally not our brothers and sisters. That's why they're Mexicans, and not Americans.

They are our brothers and sisters. We all came from Africa. We are one species.

They are our brothers and sisters. We all came from Africa. We are one species.

So you don't give any priority to your parents or siblings or children? After all, we're all brothers and sisters, right?

Back
Top Bottom