• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the word "curry" racist?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • do not know

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I have heard this qustion a long time ago already

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I only read about recently

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • this is the first time I read about it

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I am interested to hear what you think about it.

FYI: This questions seems to be an old hat in the USA.
But I read about it only a few days ago in a German article.

It will be no use to link to that article.

Later I googled for an article in English and I will now google again.
And link the article here.

It is not as if I knew all this "all along".

----------------

Here is an article in English now:

Now the word CURRY is racist: Food blogger says it’s time to cancel the ‘British colonial’ term for south-Asian food​

• South Asian American Chaheti Bansal, 27, shares home cooking recipes online
  • She told followers it's time the word curry fell out of use due to its western origin
  • Ms Bansal says it is used by white people who 'couldn't be bothered to learn the actual names' of Indian dishes and lumps very different Asian cuisines together

Every schmuck can have a blog, someone making a stupid comment on a blog does not mean the word curry is racist, its just some loser wrote a blog

Every schmuck can have a blog
So it is.
My question now is:

Did that "Schmuck" have lots of followers?
And did lots of people agree with him - in the US and elsewhere?

Btw: about "Schmuck"
This is a German word meaning roughly "jewelry" or "decoration".
I wonder how it got into the English language with a new meaning.
Probably by way of Yiddish.

What I think:

The argument of that food blogger is idiotic.
Then one could also say that words like "beer" and "wine" are racist.
There are 1000001 sorts of beer and wine - as there are 1000001 sorts of spices.
One can't possible name all of them every time one speaks of beer or wine or spices.
So it is good that general words like beer or wine or spices or curry exist.
That is not "racist" in the least.

tim-curry-home-alone-2.jpg

I do not know.

Maybe we had better get a ruling from one of the founders of BLM

I hear that she may be at one of her houses in Canada, but I guess she'll be returning soon to collect more corporate donations.

Until we hear from her, we should probably not use that word. At a restaurant, just tell the server: "I would like some rice with that spicy sauce, please."

Nobody appears to have actually said the word curry is racist. I suspect The Daily Mail made that up (note: The Daily Mail is often racist, fraudulent and treats it's readers like idiots, possibly with some justification).

The actual question about the use of the word curry is much more nuanced and well thought out than that.

----------------

No, don't be ridiculous.

It may be something else, but it's definitely not racist.

To my knowledge curry isn’t a racist word in the U.S. and I love curry. I eat curry frequently and often grind spices to make my own curry.

Having said that it wouldn’t surprise me if some knuckle dragging, window licking hater is going to find a way to use the word in a racist manner.

I do not know.
Maybe we had better get a ruling from one of the founders of BLM
I hear that she may be at one of her houses in Canada, but I guess she'll be returning soon to collect more corporate donations.
Until we hear from her, we should probably not use that word. At a restaurant, just tell the server: "I would like some rice with that spicy sauce, please."
Perhaps if we say: "See-You-Are-Are-Why" - then we are on the safe side, as we have not actually used that maybe-racist word. :)

To my knowledge curry isn’t a racist word in the U.S. and I love curry. I eat curry frequently and often grind spices to make my own curry.
Having said that it wouldn’t surprise me if some knuckle dragging, window licking hater is going to find a way to use the word in a racist manner.
Not even that woke blogger said that curry in itself was racist - only the word was racist. :)

One of her houses - how many has she got then?
I think is should google for that interesting person. :)

Cancelling curry is 'based on ignorance'​

Indian chef hits back at woke blogger for curry 'racist' claim 'Just simple to understand'​

More about it:

Now curry branded 'racist': Woke food blogger sparks UK fury - society told 'unlearn' word​

CURRY has been branded a "racist" word which society must "unlearn" because of its ties to British colonialism, a woke food blogger has claimed.​

----------------

No .. it's a spice often used in South Asian cuisine ... what's racist about that? Unless you are an oversensitive liberal concerned with cultural appropriation.

She is "South Asian American" - so I have read somewhere.
Is "South Asian" now the new woke word for "Indian"?

What about German-Americans? Will they now be called "Central-European-American" so as not to embarrass them with the sad idea that they may have anything to do with Germany? :)

Every schmuck can have a blog, someone making a stupid comment on a blog does not mean the word curry is racist, its just some loser wrote a blog

I have now looked for "Schmuck":

The Yiddish word shmok derives from Old Polish smok "grass snake, dragon".[2][3][4]

In the German language, the word Schmuck means "jewelry, adornment".[5] It is a nominalization of the German verb schmücken "to decorate" and is unrelated to the word discussed in this article.[2]

Because of its generally being considered a vulgarity,[6] the word is often euphemized as schmoe, which was the source of Al Capp's cartoon strip creature the shmoo.[7] Other variants include schmo and shmo.
Leo Rosten writes in The Joys of Yiddish that schmuck is commonly viewed among Jews as an obscene word that should not be said lightly.[8] Lenny Bruce, a Jewish stand-up comedian, wrote that the use of the word during his performances in 1962 led to his arrest on the West Coast, "by a Yiddish undercover agent who had been placed in the club several nights running to determine if [his] use of Yiddish terms was a cover for profanity".

Now I wonder how long it will take until some "woke" person will find that "Schmuck" is racist? :cool:

So it is.
My question now is:

Did that "Schmuck" have lots of followers?
And did lots of people agree with him - in the US and elsewhere?
I think curry in US and in Uk mean different things. In the UK it's more of a catch all for any south asian cuisine and is therefore derivative and slightly derogatory. Like if all German food was called "Kraut".

----------------

So far as I am aware it isn't, but the extent of my knowledge about curry is having made one recipe of it once, and probably ordering it somewhere a few times.
And that recipe was apparently a "wet curry" because after glancing at wikipedia apparently the spectrum of curry is much broader than I realized.

It isn't just a strongly spiced sauce.

But any word can be racist, if presented in the right tone and context.
Innuendo, implication, insinuation, etc.
And since actually being openly racist is usually frowned upon, those who are have found ways to say a completely unrelated thing which clues those of like mind in.
Which is called dog whistling.

So it's entirely possible for a completely normal word or gesture to have no racist meaning in one context and be horribly racist in another.

like the OK hand gesture. In one context it means that something which just occurred is OK.

In another it's a secret communication to racists.

She is "South Asian American" - so I have read somewhere.
Is "South Asian" now the new woke word for "Indian"?
Uh, Indians have also been referred to (and referred to themselves) as southeast asians for many decades. You're a bit late to the party, dude.

'Curry' the word isn't racist. Some people can use it in a way that is racist, but that is a reflection on them, and not the word.

Curry however is not a terribly meaningful word in culinary terms these days.

Back
Top Bottom