• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the Washington monument unconstitutional?

MeThePeople

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
The AHA claims that monuments that are clearly representative of religions or are religious symbols that are displayed on public land and funded or maintained by public fund or taxes violate the First Amendment. That being the case, the Washington monument is an obelisk taken from Greek architecture which was taken from Egyptin architechture among their temples to Ra the sun god.
Be prepared American citizens to disassemble the monument as it will and MUST be removed IF the SCOTUS determines the the Bladensburg Peace Cross is decalred a violation of First Amendment

The AHA claims that monuments that are clearly representative of religions or are religious symbols that are displayed on public land and funded or maintained by public fund or taxes violate the First Amendment. That being the case, the Washington monument is an obelisk taken from Greek architecture which was taken from Egyptin architechture among their temples to Ra the sun god.
Be prepared American citizens to disassemble the monument as it will and MUST be removed IF the SCOTUS determines the the Bladensburg Peace Cross is decalred a violation of First Amendment

Considering what an Egyptian obelisk represents, hardly...

Egyptian Obelisk - Ancient History Encyclopedia

The Washington Monument is a phallic symbol. This is very much in keeping with the current American religion that worships sex.

The Washington Monument is a phallic symbol. This is very much in keeping with the current American religion that worships sex.

Maybe they should add a fountain to the very top.

Considering what an Egyptian obelisk represents, hardly...

Egyptian Obelisk - Ancient History Encyclopedia

From your source-SYMBOLISM OF THE OBELISK
The obelisks of ancient Egypt represented the benben, the primordial mound upon which the god Atum stood at the creation of the world. As such, they were associated with the benu bird, the Egyptian precursor to the Greek phoenix.

Ohio decided to put a Jewish Star of David sculpture right in a prominent area of their statehouse. This was erected in 2015, iirc.

The crosses must go from public display, and the Jewish star and Islamic crescent may replace them.

Ohio Statehouse - Wikipedia

From your source-SYMBOLISM OF THE OBELISK
The obelisks of ancient Egypt represented the benben, the primordial mound upon which the god Atum stood at the creation of the world. As such, they were associated with the benu bird, the Egyptian precursor to the Greek phoenix.

The worship of creation rather than the Creator...Romans 1:25...

Washington owned slaves, let's make his monument reparation for slavery.

Washington Monument isn't going anywhere.

Same as the thread on it.

The obelisk is conversely a topic of interesting discussion so it per se could have legs here in its own right.

300px-The_Parthenon_in_Athens.jpg recognise the religious architecture in this temple?220px-Capitol1846.jpg

Just plain silly!

History & Culture - Washington Monument (U.S. National Park Service)

The Society solicited for donations and designs for a decade, settling on a design by Robert Mills in 1845. Mills' design called for a 600-foot Egyptian-style obelisk ringed by thirty 100-foot columns. The design was audacious, ambitious, and expensive, creating numerous complications during its construction.

The Washington Monument, designed by Robert Mills and eventually completed by Thomas Casey and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, honors and memorializes George Washington at the center of the nation's capital. The structure was completed in two phases of construction, one private (1848-1854) and one public (1876-1884). Built in the shape of an Egyptian obelisk, evoking the timelessness of ancient civilizations, the Washington Monument embodies the awe, respect, and gratitude the nation felt for its most essential Founding Father. When completed, the Washington Monument was the tallest building in the world at 555 feet, 5-1/8 inches.

Dont get me wrong Common1. I think the AHA are a bunch of morons. But if the SCOTUS wants to play law maker then they better begin to realize the consequences of their rediculous decisions.

Your analogy fails here. Bladensburg is clearly a Christian symbol. I say leave it, but I can see how a case could be made for it not being inclusive of all Americans.

An obelisk, on the other hand, is not representative of any of today's active religions, is it? Or are there those who still worship Ra?

How about this: I consider the Washington Monument to be overtly phallic. That shape offends me. Would that work, do you think?

:wink2:

Maybe they should add a fountain to the very top.

Spewing what, exactly?

Heh heh ... your comment made me think of a recent commercial showing a drilling rig crew tapping into a gusher of soft serve ice cream. We're going to need a lot of sprinkles ...

:mrgreen:

Ohio decided to put a Jewish Star of David sculpture right in a prominent area of their statehouse. This was erected in 2015, iirc.

The crosses must go from public display, and the Jewish star and Islamic crescent may replace them.

Ohio Statehouse - Wikipedia

That doesn't belong on public property, either.

History & Culture - Washington Monument (U.S. National Park Service)

The Society solicited for donations and designs for a decade, settling on a design by Robert Mills in 1845. Mills' design called for a 600-foot Egyptian-style obelisk ringed by thirty 100-foot columns. The design was audacious, ambitious, and expensive, creating numerous complications during its construction.

The Washington Monument, designed by Robert Mills and eventually completed by Thomas Casey and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, honors and memorializes George Washington at the center of the nation's capital. The structure was completed in two phases of construction, one private (1848-1854) and one public (1876-1884). Built in the shape of an Egyptian obelisk, evoking the timelessness of ancient civilizations, the Washington Monument embodies the awe, respect, and gratitude the nation felt for its most essential Founding Father. When completed, the Washington Monument was the tallest building in the world at 555 feet, 5-1/8 inches.

We can't climb the 898 stairs any more, since 1976 when NPS closed 'em off to adventurers so everyone has to use the elevators.

When I was stationed in Washington in the Army a couple of buddies and I climbed the still open stairs on two different occasions. We went back down the stairs too. Park Service said the typical leisurely time to climb 'em is 20 minutes but I'd say that's only if you want a heart attack which is why the stairs were closed off. Too many people were having heart attacks climbing 'em. Or their legs gave out going back down.

My Army chums and I took twice the time going up mainly because we'd stop numerous times to read the inscriptions on the stones inside. Many private organizations have had a stone inscribed with a patriotic quote, or a George Washington fact, war of independence fact, Constitutional convention stuff, city of Washington fact and so on.

I'd think a judge who would say the monument violates separation of church and state would be hard to find. And hard pressed to go that route. The claim is a cooked up fear that's a big nothing.

We can't climb the 898 stairs any more, since 1976 when NPS closed 'em off to adventurers so everyone has to use the elevators.

When I was stationed in Washington in the Army a couple of buddies and I climbed the still open stairs on two different occasions. We went back down the stairs too. Park Service said the typical leisurely time to climb 'em is 20 minutes but I'd say that's only if you want a heart attack which is why the stairs were closed off. Too many people were having heart attacks climbing 'em. Or their legs gave out going back down.

My Army chums and I took twice the time going up mainly because we'd stop numerous times to read the inscriptions on the stones inside. Many private organizations have had a stone inscribed with a patriotic quote, or a George Washington fact, war of independence fact, Constitutional convention stuff, city of Washington fact and so on.

I'd think a judge who would say the monument violates separation of church and state would be hard to find. And hard pressed to go that route. The claim is a cooked up fear that's a big nothing.

I hear you! I was lucky and was able to climb the stairs once. A interesting and fun experience. The view from the top of the monument is remarkable.
PS I rode the elevator down! ;)

I hear you! I was lucky and was able to climb the stairs once. A interesting and fun experience. The view from the top of the monument is remarkable.
PS I rode the elevator down! ;)

Great for you that you are one of the distinctive few explorers who carry on the traditions of adventure and discovery. Yep the view is cool from the top. I too continue to have the spectacular scenes of it in my memory.

Many moons later when I worked for the feds in Washington I was sent to St. Louis on a compliance review and the branch chief and I took some free time to go up in the arch. The view showed a small city below on the east side and westward lots of flat land across the Mississippi right below us, a forgettable place called -- what wuz it again -- oh yeah, Kansas. We had to get cranked up inside the arch in buckets in such a tiny space we could have been inside pyramids or something like 'em. Coal miner kind of stuff, or so we thought. (Lots of churches were in view in the city so I hope we don't get gigged here ex post facto for violating any amendments ha.)

Got some box tickets to a Cards game against the Cubs inside the artificial turf monstrosity called Busch Stadium long since demolished. Cubbies won luv 'em. (Only the Astrodome in Houston was more of an eyesore inside and now that's gone with the wind too.) So it was good to get back to Washington DC civilization ha.

Progress is most welcome yes indeed.

Great for you that you are one of the distinctive few explorers who carry on the traditions of adventure and discovery. Yep the view is cool from the top. I too continue to have the spectacular scenes of it in my memory.

Many moons later when I worked for the feds in Washington I was sent to St. Louis on a compliance review and the branch chief and I took some free time to go up in the arch. The view showed a small city below on the east side and westward lots of flat land across the Mississippi right below us, a forgettable place called -- what wuz it again -- oh yeah, Kansas. We had to get cranked up inside the arch in buckets in such a tiny space we could have been inside pyramids or something like 'em. Coal miner kind of stuff, or so we thought. (Lots of churches were in view in the city so I hope we don't get gigged here ex post facto for violating any amendments ha.)

Got some box tickets to a Cards game against the Cubs inside the artificial turf monstrosity called Busch Stadium long since demolished. Cubbies won luv 'em. (Only the Astrodome in Houston was more of an eyesore inside and now that's gone with the wind too.) So it was good to get back to Washington DC civilization ha.

Progress is most welcome yes indeed.

A visit to the arch is on my bucket list and that might happen this summer. Might even try a St. Louis Cardinals game?

A visit to the arch is on my bucket list and that might happen this summer. Might even try a St. Louis Cardinals game?

Go for it as I'm sure you will.

During the official visit to STL we went up the arch during lunch. We had free time evenings so that's when we caught the ball game. That was in '91 so one assumes the arch which is right at the Mississippi gets its upkeep.

Lemme know how the new stadium is if you get there but almost anything has to be better than that ragged looking artificial turf which was faded besides ha. Four kids who must have been 13 and 14 or so were seated behind us and got quite put out the boss and I weren't rooting for the home team. He was from Pittsburgh so he knew the NL better than I did (my being from Boston) so he ran 'em ragged on the Pirates v the Cards which finally settled 'em down and back into the game ha. I think it was my slipping 'em my beer that won 'em over though. (They said they already had their fill of hot dogs.)

As I'd said I twice did the 898 steps of the Washington Monument up and down, in 1967. The two Army chums I was with both times passed on it the first time so I did it myself. I made sure after they heard about it forever. Several months later when we were in the city again I double dared 'em so they had to capitulate. Up and down, you bet. No problem as oui three came out the Monument bouncing and chipper. Which meant I didn't have to pay for anything the rest of the day...and night ha.

Nobody mentioned that the Egyptian symbolism of the Washington Monument also invokes the probable origins of the Ancient Secret Society of Free and Accepted Masons.

Back
Top Bottom