• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the US is trying to overthrow the Pakistani Govt.?

Jkca1

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Of course there was no proof submitted but perhaps a lie is as good as the truth these days;

"Imran Khan asked President Arif Alvi to dissolve the National Assembly, or law-making lower house of Parliament, accusing his political opposition of working with the United States to overthrow his government."

Of course there was no proof submitted but perhaps a lie is as good as the truth these days;

"Imran Khan asked President Arif Alvi to dissolve the National Assembly, or law-making lower house of Parliament, accusing his political opposition of working with the United States to overthrow his government."

Where does the US enter into this?

I have no idea about these claims but it wouldn't surprise me.

But considering our batting average with regime change in the Mid-East and Central/South Asia, I think we'd best just leave Pakistan alone. The last time we meddled with regimes in Pakistan we helped introduce radical Islam into the region. Some 40-45 years later, safe to say things didn't exactly go according to the script.

Hmm? Why would the US overthrow the Pakistani government? I know our interests don't always align, but are we even on such unfriendly terms with Pakistan? I kinda liked Imran Khan, he seemed reasonable.

Imran Khan ousted as Pakistan's PM after key vote

US don't need to overthrow him, his Parliament just ousted him (after the Courts declared him dissolving Parliament being illegal). Basically he butthurt he lost confidence of Parliament and tried to stop them by dissolving it. And then cry and blame the US.

Apparently Khan was going to release his " evidence" to some party members and journalists but the Pakistan high court put the blocks on it. If there was nothing in it the decision to suppress it is interesting imo

He had dissolved parliament so as to ward of, what he claims is a US led conspiracy to oust him in a vote of no confidence

He claims an opposition coalition and some members of his own party are being bought off by the US to induce a regime change in Pakistan.

This comes after Khan had refused to agree to join the anti Russia sanctions and reacted angrily to a EU letter he received denouncing his actions. He asked if the EU thought that the Pakistani people were their " servants"

It is rich to see the West citing the integrity of national sovereignty wrt Ukrainian decision making but not in their denouncements of those who wish to look after their own national interests by not supporting the sanctions.

Let's see if he is allowed or still alive to take part in forthcoming elections.

Pakistan is the loser imo

Apparently Khan was going to release his " evidence" to some party members and journalists but the Pakistan high court put the blocks on it. If there was nothing in it the decision to suppress it is interesting imo

He had dissolved parliament so as to ward of, what he claims is a US led conspiracy to oust him in a vote of no confidence

He claims an opposition coalition and some members of his own party are being bought off by the US to induce a regime change in Pakistan.

This comes after Khan had refused to agree to join the anti Russia sanctions and reacted angrily to a EU letter he received denouncing his actions. He asked if the EU thought that the Pakistani people were their " servants"

It is rich to see the West citing the integrity of national sovereignty wrt Ukrainian decision making but not in their denouncements of those who wish to look after their own national interests by not supporting the sanctions.

Let's see if he is allowed or still alive to take part in forthcoming elections.

Pakistan is the loser imo

That could explain it.

Been a while since I've followed Pakistani politics and admittedly never followed it that much until there were flareups between Pakistan and India. I'd like to see more evidence before coming to a firm conclusion on whether there was a solid US role in his ouster, though the timing is indeed interesting. Assuming the US was involved in a significant way, my first reaction was/is, 'Oh this is about that friendship with the Taliban thing' but I also think that there has to be more to it than that. From the perspective of US hegemony in Afghanistan, Pakistan has been a pain in the ass even going back to the Musharraf days.

Hmm? Why would the US overthrow the Pakistani government? I know our interests don't always align, but are we even on such unfriendly terms with Pakistan? I kinda liked Imran Khan, he seemed reasonable.
We attempt to overthrow regimes all the time. We spent the last three years recognizing some loser as the legitimate president of Venezuela until we needed Venezuelan oil a month ago than Maduro was suddenly ok.

We attempt to overthrow regimes all the time. We spent the last three years recognizing some loser as the legitimate president of Venezuela until we needed Venezuelan oil a month ago than Maduro was suddenly ok.
Right but Venezuela and America were on bad terms. I don't think America really gives a shit who runs Pakistan, as long as it isn't the Taliban.

US would never put one of the Sharif brothers in charge of Pakistan, so that alone disproves Khan's paranoid delusions about a US coup.
Honestly I would look at Pakistani actors such as the ISI and the Pakistani army and ask what kind of deals they made with the political opposition. But all in all this was a legitimate political process. Members of the government block defected. Khan tried to abolish parliament to avoid an ouster, something the Courts correctly declared illegal. Parliament reconvenved and ousted him. In a parliamentary system the government must have the confidence of Parliament, which Khan lost.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom