• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the US a Christian Nation? [W:73]

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
THe constitution says we are not. But, many in the US argue that we are indeed a Christian nation.

I tend to agree with Jimmy Carter's opinion.

10306310_890447187647460_2706602008460364701_n.jpg

Re: Is the US a Christian Nation?

Depends on why they are "poor" and define poor. Cant work and wont work are two very different things.

Fortunately the founders were bright enough to protect this country from religion.

The same cannot be said for many of its citizens.

THe constitution says we are not. But, many in the US argue that we are indeed a Christian nation.

I tend to agree with Jimmy Carter's opinion.

10306310_890447187647460_2706602008460364701_n.jpg

Where does the Constitution specifically say we're not a Christian nation?

Where does the Constitution specifically say we're not a Christian nation?

Where does it say we aren't an Islamic state? Or a colony meant to prep the Earth for settlement by intergalactic space aliens?

The Constitution doesn't specifically the US is not a lot of things, doesn't mean the US is those things.

The statement, "The U.S. is a Christian nation," is unspecific enough for the answer to this question to be both "yes" and "no."

Is it Christian according to the Constitution? No.
Is it Christian in terms of its government and society being heavily influenced by Christianity? Yes.
Is it Christian in terms of it actually following the principles expressed by Jesus in the New Testament? No.

It depends on what aspect of the United States you're talking about when you ask the question.

The statement, "The U.S. is a Christian nation," is unspecific enough for the answer to this question to be both "yes" and "no."

Is it Christian according to the Constitution? No.
Is it Christian in terms of its government and society being heavily influenced by Christianity? Yes.
Is it Christian in terms of it actually following the principles expressed by Jesus in the New Testament? No.

It depends on what aspect of the United States you're talking about when you ask the question.

Society? Sure. Laws? Yes. Government? Not so much, I don't recall much about balance of powers, or bicameral legislatures in the Bible.

Depends on why they are "poor" and define poor. Cant work and wont work are two very different things.

Don't forgot in the Bible it tells the wealthy and the employees to not hoard wealth created from their worker's labor and to make sure to pay them well

Society? Sure. Laws? Yes. Government? Not so much, I don't recall much about balance of powers, or bicameral legislatures in the Bible.

It's in the appendices, just after the Baggins family tree.

Don't forgot in the Bible it tells the wealthy and the employees to not hoard wealth created from their worker's labor and to make sure to pay them well

Quote that passage.

Quote that passage.

5 Now listen, you rich people, weep and wail because of the misery that is coming on you. 2 Your wealth has rotted, and moths have eaten your clothes. 3 Your gold and silver are corroded. Their corrosion will testify against you and eat your flesh like fire. You have hoarded wealth in the last days. 4 Look! The wages you failed to pay the workers who mowed your fields are crying out against you. The cries of the harvesters have reached the ears of the Lord Almighty. 5 You have lived on earth in luxury and self-indulgence. You have fattened yourselves in the day of slaughter.[a] 6 You have condemned and murdered the innocent one, who was not opposing you.
James 5: 1-6

James 5 NIV - Warning to Rich Oppressors - Now - Bible Gateway

Now I may have spoke too quickly, I forgot that not all major Christian denominations accept the Book of James as belonging in the Bible but I hope yours does its really one of my favorite books.

1st Amendment

Wrong. That amendment states that gov't can neither establish a religion nor prohibit the free exercise of religion. Leaving it entirely up to the citizens to choose to adhere to religious views so long as they did not require others to join that religion by gov't force.

We are a Christian nation insofar as the majority of the populace are still call themselves Christian, even if they don't actually practice their faith. Our government is secular.

"wages failed to pay". That is the key to that passage.

Wages failed to pay does not have to mean no wages were paid at all, it can mean wages in addition to what was paid that were justly owed but not paid. What you suggest would mean that a man paying an employee a few cents an hour of work would be acceptable since they were paid some kind of wages.

You also ignore the part that abhors the hoarding of wealth, seemingly in the form of wages that weren't paid, It also speaks of the laborers cries being heard by the Lord, while the wealthy person lives in luxury and self-indulgence. Is it really suggesting that laborers would only cry and be condemned and murdered only if they were being absolutely no wages at all? That makes no sense as clearly there is little difference between paid nothing and being paid so little that it causes the death of your laborers.

I've learned that we have a contingent here, in this country, that simply do not know how to work. They've never been trained, taught or otherwise shown what it means to be a good employee.

Work is hard, especially showing up every day, on time, and doing the job at or above expectations. Europe does a much better job preparing their young for this lifelong endeavor. We simply hand our kids stuff and than all look on in amazement when they turn out to be slackers.

Of course, this is not the entirety of the problem, but it explains why work goes to Asia and leaves the US. I heard a comedy routine once reference that Americans are 27th in education but number 1 in confidence. That makes for a crappy worker.

It is a country and government informed by the cultural, if not outright spiritual embrace, of Christianity, but it is not a Christian theocracy.

Wages failed to pay does not have to mean no wages were paid at all, it can mean wages in addition to what was paid that were justly owed but not paid. What you suggest would mean that a man paying an employee a few cents an hour of work would be acceptable since they were paid some kind of wages.

You also ignore the part that abhors the hoarding of wealth, seemingly in the form of wages that weren't paid, It also speaks of the laborers cries being heard by the Lord, while the wealthy person lives in luxury and self-indulgence. Is it really suggesting that laborers would only cry and be condemned and murdered only if they were being absolutely no wages at all? That makes no sense as clearly there is little difference between paid nothing and being paid so little that it causes the death of your laborers.

What it does not say is that the gov't (or church) should ensure that God's will be enforced by either income redistribution or a mandated minimum wage. All judgement (and punishment) was solely in the hands of God.

No. The US is not a Christian nation as it was founded on the principles of the Enlightenment. It would be nice though if we could go back to before the Enlightenment.

No. The US is not a Christian nation as it was founded on the principles of the Enlightenment. It would be nice though if we could go back to before the Enlightenment.

YESSSS!
Back to slavery, my cotton underwear is getting too expensive.
Women should stay home and pass the potatoes.
Only land owners are the true citizens anyway so only they should have the vote.

I've learned that we have a contingent here, in this country, that simply do not know how to work. They've never been trained, taught or otherwise shown what it means to be a good employee.

Work is hard, especially showing up every day, on time, and doing the job at or above expectations. Europe does a much better job preparing their young for this lifelong endeavor. We simply hand our kids stuff and than all look on in amazement when they turn out to be slackers.

Of course, this is not the entirety of the problem, but it explains why work goes to Asia and leaves the US. I heard a comedy routine once reference that Americans are 27th in education but number 1 in confidence. That makes for a crappy worker.

As to the bolded above, no - we hand the "baby momma" stuff and then wonder why they do not pass on a work ethic. An entitlement society is part of the problem since it offers more "safety net" benefits than a full time job at entry level wages offers. Nobody is apt to wish to work their way down. ;)

I don't think it is.

Back
Top Bottom