• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is the universe "infinite" or "finite"?

Is the universe "infinite" or "finite"

• I believe only "x" amount of matter poofed into existence on that fatefull day 14 billion years ago

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • I believe that the universe has an infinite amount of mass spread over an infinite amount of space

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters

TheGreatSatan

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
I am of the belief that the universe goes on forever and has always existed. What do you all think :2wave:

It's actually considered finite I believe. Space curves over great distances and you end where you start or something.

The evidence for a finite universe is so strong now that I don't see how anyone can deny it. Steady-state theory and others like it simply don't explain the data.

It's actually considered finite I believe. Space curves over great distances and you end where you start or something.

So you believe that this is some kinda magic spot in space-time where a universe just happened to poof into existence? and beyond it... nothing... thats deep

Our notions of time and space do not exist outside of the fabric of this universe. There is no "before", or "after", or "outside" as we know them. Those are physical concepts that only exist within the confines of our universe.

Present data suggests a finite universe with temporal and physical boundaries. Also, your poll is flawed. It is predicated on belief, not on actual learning. I don't believe either of the positions. Belief has nothing to do with it. Evidence points to one of those possibilities, so it is true, just as evidence points toward my presently sitting in a chair. The two situations are equally dependent on belief. That is to say, not at all.

Last edited:
Our notions of time and space do not exist outside of the fabric of this universe.

By "the" universe, I ment all sub universes and whatever else you can dream up.

There is no "before", or "after", or "outside" as we know them.

We did kinda just make up ways to measure "before", "after", and I think you mean "distance"

Those are physical concepts that only exist within the confines of our universe.

so whats a "universe" then, and how many of them are there....

Present data suggests a finite universe with temporal and physical boundaries.

finite tools can't measure infinite objects

Also, your poll is flawed. It is predicated on belief, not on actual learning. I don't believe either of the positions. Belief has nothing to do with it. Evidence points to one of those possibilities, so it is true, just as evidence points toward my presently sitting in a chair. The two situations are equally dependent on belief. That is to say, not at all.

ok, what would a 3rd option be if you were gunna make one?

I believe the universe is infinite; but that is the only term I know to use. I find it to be immeasurable and unfathomable. Just as we believed once the earth was flat; we may have no idea our origin possibly making our "Big Bang" theory as laughable.

they also say the universe is expanding i say into what? dose the expansion create space as it expands?

It may be finite, but to us it would be infinite, as our reality is based within it.

I am of the belief that the universe goes on forever and has always existed. What do you all think :2wave:

What you believe is of little value without an explanation for WHY you believe.

WHY do you believe the universe is infinite? How certain are you? Isn't it ok to admit "I don't know"?

they also say the universe is expanding i say into what?
Nothing. There is nothing to expand "into" since the universe is the only thing in existence.

dose the expansion create space as it expands?
Yes. Every second our universe is expanding and the distance between our galaxy and distant ones increases.

How "new space" is created, exactly, at a quantum level, I don't know.

If you are honestly interested in physicist theories then google for the youtube video "lawrence krauss universe from nothing". Its a long video but its a very straightforward summary for laymen about some recent theories and what evidence supports them.

I don't understand the second option. Doesn't an infinite amount of mass fill and infinite amount of space?

I don't believe we know. . . so 'neither' - it could be one or the other and in some weird way it could even be both.

really? so what about the expansion? are you saying we will ultimately meet ourselves?

really? so what about the expansion? are you saying we will ultimately meet ourselves?
You wouldn't meet yourself if you circumnavigated the earth, and if the earth was expanding like a balloon it would become more difficult over time to go around it.

So you believe that this is some kinda magic spot in space-time where a universe just happened to poof into existence? and beyond it... nothing... thats deep

. . .

What? Who ever said a boundary to another universe would be physical and since when did I issue a belief?

Yes, you would if you had a hypothetical hypership of somesort. You dont meet yourself you end up where you started.

C.

I believe "space" goes on forever, but there is a finite amount of matter as we know it.

Also, the universe is expanding, so I believe matter originated from a central point.

The term "universe" has different renditions. The "observed universe" is everything within our light horizon. The "observable universe" means that which exists but is currently beyond our light horizon (bounded). The "entire universe" implies the horizon+ (possibly unbounded). A "pocket universe" is finite and bounded. A "multi-verse" includes all pocket universes and the gaps between them (possibly infinite).

okay if the universe is expanding and the galaxys are moving away from one another then why will the milky way collide with the andromeda galaxy someday?

okay if the universe is expanding and the galaxys are moving away from one another then why will the milky way collide with the andromeda galaxy someday?
Because the milkyway and Andromeda galaxy comprise the "Local Group" where the gravitational center is somewhere between our two galaxies. (And they may NOT collide).

Not all galaxies are moving away. Most are. Wiki "metric expansion of space: observational evidence".

the universe is finite in terms of matter and energy, but has always existed and always will, i believe.

All theories are flawed because of our limited perception... Like fish looking out of a curved bowl, our perception is distorted. It appears that the universe is expanding at an ever increasing rate and that the expansion is not uniform, that some places are bubbling out faster than other places. What does it matter though?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom