• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is the U.S still the economic power of the ?

COBRA

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Hi,:2wave: my first post here @ DB. I have been reading alot about how China & japan along with other middle eastern countries are growing @ an insane rate economically ? Do we Americans still have what it takes to compete with those countries ?
kap.gif
or can we expect in 25 years for China to rise to the #1 spot ?

China is indeed growing very quickly and may very well overtake the United States (although not in 25 years). Japan's growth is slow but steady. Middle Eastern countries are riding a wave of high oil prices, and will crash and burn when the oil dries up or falls in price.

Kandahar said:
China is indeed growing very quickly and may very well overtake the United States (although not in 25 years). Japan's growth is slow but steady. Middle Eastern countries are riding a wave of high oil prices, and will crash and burn when the oil dries up or falls in price.

Japan's just too small to ever pass the US economically. China could do it. Russia could in theory if they changed some major elements of their economy. They could actually be in a place to do it faster than China (provided they got their crap together) because their populace is much better educated than China's.

Kelzie said:
Japan's just too small to ever pass the US economically. China could do it. Russia could in theory if they changed some major elements of their economy. They could actually be in a place to do it faster than China (provided they got their crap together) because their populace is much better educated than China's.

Why would Russia be able to surpass the U.S. economically? China's still at pre-industrial revolution economic status in comparison to the U.S. their growth rate is high because given their status it really couldn't help to be anything else.

COBRA said:

The only way China will surpass the U.S. within 25 years is if they cash in on their interests here in the U.S. That would destroy our economy. Welcome to DB :2razz:

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
Why would Russia be able to surpass the U.S. economically? China's still at pre-industrial revolution economic status in comparison to the U.S. their growth rate is high because given their status it really couldn't help to be anything else.

Russia has a hell of alot of educated people, and if they did get their stuff togethor, as Kelzie pointed out, they could really start to become an Iron fist in the world game of politics.

China on the other hand, who I will give lots of credit too, because they have a wonderful way of educating their peoples, are growing fast too..

I suppose Russia could theoretically prosper, but I don't see it happening. Russia is experiencing the most severe decline of any former superpower in the last few centuries. All the indications are that this decline will continue, as Russia becomes more authoritarian, less populated, and more mafia-ruled.

What you are reading about now days is china's economy becoming larger but by no means better or stronger. It is just size not power, though as they say quantity has a quality of it's own but that’s not going to happen for a long time yet if ever.

Did you mean Asian countries and not middle eastern? would have made more sense. but anyway it's more about relative power as apposed to absolute power.

Japan like us is developed and has limited potential for growth as does Europe.

Russia has what it takes although it's population is quite low (150 million right?). that’s only half of ours but with the resources and educated people they could become a damn good rival again. i believe there GDP growth is high around 5%.

And if your talking about all the big dogs might as well throw India and the EU in there.

To the OP, we live in a bubble in time. The normal state of power is a multi polar world where there is no hyper power but more reliance on alliances and bloc’s of nations. We are returning to such a world.

Oh, ya Hi forum this is my first post.

Last edited:

I said "could". Try and follow along here.

Rilzic said:
What you are reading about now days is china's economy becoming larger but by no means better or stronger. It is just size not power, though as they say quantity has a quality of it's own but that’s not going to happen for a long time yet if ever.

Did you mean Asian countries and not middle eastern? would have made more sense. but anyway it's more about relative power as apposed to absolute power.

Japan like us is developed and has limited potential for growth as does Europe.

Russia has what it takes although it's population is quite low (150 million right?). that’s only half of ours but with the resources and educated people they could become a damn good rival again. i believe there GDP growth is high around 5%.

And if your talking about all the big dogs might as well throw India and the EU in there.

To the OP, we live in a bubble in time. The normal state of power is a multi polar world where there is no hyper power but more reliance on alliances and bloc’s of nations. We are returning to such a world.

Oh, ya Hi forum this is my first post.

Welcome. :2wave: Great first post.

Kandahar said:
I suppose Russia could theoretically prosper, but I don't see it happening. Russia is experiencing the most severe decline of any former superpower in the last few centuries. All the indications are that this decline will continue, as Russia becomes more authoritarian, less populated, and more mafia-ruled.

It's too bad really. They could do so much better.

No they can't because they suck.

They could. Will they? I don't know. I left my crystal ball in my car and it's too cold outside to go get it. Unless you have one handy?

two actually

Huh, really? It always seems like you have less...

I would leave a good piece of self depricating humor here but I know you would just write it down, save it on your hardrive, and use it against me like 30 times.

:lol: Am I that transparent? ;)

COBRA said:
Hi,:2wave: my first post here @ DB. I have been reading alot about how China & japan along with other middle eastern countries are growing @ an insane rate economically ? Do we Americans still have what it takes to compete with those countries ?
kap.gif

The other countries are growing, but what seperates the U.S. is our research and development. Our R&D is that will keep us on top for a long time.

realist said:
The other countries are growing, but what seperates the U.S. is our research and development. Our R&D is that will keep us on top for a long time.

Japan's got some kick ass R&D. Not saying that Japan is going to outgrow us, but R&D is something other countries can start developing pretty easily.

Kelzie said:
Japan's got some kick ass R&D. Not saying that Japan is going to outgrow us, but R&D is something other countries can start developing pretty easily.

Also, the problem with R&D and U.S. hegemony is the free rider syndrome in that we have to put alot of money into our R&D and then other countries just steal our technology, also, we provide for their defense, so while we're spending Billions of dollars on R&D and Defense, these countries can spend all of their own money on social programs; such as, education, so while we stay the same they steadily get stronger.

What our country needs is another sputnik to get our kids to put down the x-box controllers, get off of the couches, and pick up a physics book.

galenrox said:
I personally disagree. I think the x box, and television in general, generates a lot of creativity and leads to a lot of benefits (not to mention that the one export thing we DOMINATE on is entertainment, so it shouldn't be discouraged)

Doesn't...Japan make the xbox? And you're FOS. Television and video games liquify your brains.

Actually x-box is Microsoft eg Bill Gates.

Huh. Learn something new everyday.

galenrox said:
I personally disagree. I think the x box, and television in general, generates a lot of creativity and leads to a lot of benefits (not to mention that the one export thing we DOMINATE on is entertainment, so it shouldn't be discouraged)

Actually that's not really the point I highly doubt that the current generation of American Idol watching morons could get us to the moon. After sputnik the youth of this country said: "what the fuc/k these commie bastards beat us to space?" so it galvonized them to hit the books, but now adays there's really not that much of an initiative in the science and technology industries, most of the engineers and the like are coming out of places like India and Japan. Of course x-box does create some pretty efficient desensitized killing machines so it's not all bad.

China's definately not in the pre-industrial state. They're fullly in the industrial state, desperately trying to make it into the post-industrial state. Russia on the other hand is chock full of resources that are left untapped, its one of the things that would give it an edge. I think that if Russia had undergone a slower change towards open market and democracy like china is kinda doin rite now, it would have succeeded much better.

Back
Top Bottom