• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the Tea Party Actually the Republican Party?

Is the Tea Party Actually the Republican Party?

• Total voters

The Giant Noodle

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Do you feel that the Tea Party grass roots movement started around 2007-2008 (and was originally started by Ron Paul supporters) was hijacked in a genius move by Karl Rove and the Republican strategists?

And people are simply voting in another Republican thinking its "change"?

-Or does Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck really want a change in this Country from the Republican Party to a 3rd Party called the Tea Party?

Last edited:
People are just now starting to figure this out?

Someone here, please provide me with the tea-party agenda.
But I will not hold my breath nor will I bother to Google.

Its far more likely that 'The GOP has hijacked the TEA party' idea started with the Dems as an effort to mal-characterize the GOP as a party full of hate-mongering extremists.

Its far more likely that 'The GOP has hijacked the TEA party' idea started with the Dems as an effort to mal-characterize the GOP as a party full of hate-mongering extremists.

I look at the GOP as muslims in a way. There are the radical ones and then the others. I only WISH republicans and dems would stop looking at each other as enemies and pointing fingers at each other. Thats all advertising.... when these politicians go to work (which is a rare thing indeed) in Congress they fight for POWER. They dont fight for the common good. And they NEVER say the other side is doing a good job or compliment them. Its a FARSE!

Anyhow..... you know who also agrees with me on the hijacking? Every top end represenative to the Libertarian Party. They know it..... I know it. Its obvious to me. If it isnt obvious to someone else then they either do not know or understand how politics work. (or they are lying or being lied to)

I look at the GOP as muslims in a way. There are the radical ones and then the others
Same goes for the dems, of course.

I only WISH republicans and dems would stop looking at each other as enemies and pointing fingers at each other. Thats all advertising.... when these politicians go to work (which is a rare thing indeed) in Congress they fight for POWER. They dont fight for the common good. And they NEVER say the other side is doing a good job or compliment them. Its a FARSE!
That's what happens when one side isn't willing to comprimise.

Same goes for the dems, of course.

That's what happens when one side isn't willing to compromise.
The way I look at it, you can only compromise so far - go too far, and you're no longer that which you claim to be.

Not to mention, if you let one side in this two-party system compromise too much, bad things happen.

IMO, the Repubs have compromised too often and too far in recent times.

And the Dems haven’t compromised often enough or far enough.

Of course, there are those areas where I disagree with both….so it’s really a lose-lose situation unless NEITHER side compromises.

Glenn Beck doesn't have much to do with tea parties and he's not a Republican.

I support the tea parties, but I'm not a Republican.

The way I look at it, you can only compromise so far - go too far, and you're no longer that which you claim to be.

Not to mention, if you let one side in this two-party system compromise too much, bad things happen.

IMO, the Repubs have compromised too often and too far in recent times.

And the Dems haven’t compromised often enough or far enough.

Of course, there are those areas where I disagree with both….so it’s really a lose-lose situation unless NEITHER side compromises.

Really? I would say it's been the other way around. :shrug:

Really? I would say it's been the other way around. :shrug:
That's probably because I tend towards more conservative views in some areas, as opposed to yourself, who (at least judging by your "Lean" label) appears to tend towards liberal views in most areas.

Thus, I think too many concessions to those ideas I consider unacceptable (and in some cases, those are liberal ideas) have been made, whereas you think not enough.

Or so it appears.

YES

Hullabaloo
No fresh thinking? Only 200 year old documents and papers? Is this representative of the tea party?
Is it fresh thinking to think old stuff may hold gems of wisdom?

That's probably because I tend towards more conservative views in some areas, as opposed to yourself, who (at least judging by your "Lean" label) appears to tend towards liberal views in most areas.

Thus, I think too many concessions to those ideas I consider unacceptable (and in some cases, those are liberal ideas) have been made, whereas you think not enough.

Or so it appears.

Makes sense.

Other
Tea party is a bunch of Americans fed up with both parties, out of control spending, fear of higher taxes, and bigger more intrusive government. They are sick and tired of not being listened to.
The Republican party is closest to their core beliefs but has been a huge disappointment. The best bet in taking back the country from liberals is to take over the Republican party and elect Conservatives,Independents,or Libertarians, under the (R).
I hope we don't see too many races where a Tea party candidate is running against a Rep. Then we just may get stuck with Dems. However, I've noticed some Dems are swinging to the right to get elected. That's good if they stay there and don't swing way back left once elected.
Glenn and Palin have little to do with the movement as a whole. They could both denounce the tea party today and it wouldn't change a thing. The Tea Party has no leaders.

Approximately 2% of people have ever attended a Tea Party Rally or donated money to the cause. They're not representative of anything other than themselves.

@The Giant Noodle, I am not 100% but I recall making this point before and you making counterpoints against it? I could be wrong but yes, this thing has been hijacked by Dick Armey, Sarah Palin, and Glenn Beck to make some money and guilt people into thinking what they think or else they aren't American enough. It's like if you took what George W was about and filtered it into pure form, threw it in the microwave and then pissed in it. You have the tea party movement.

Am I saying Bush W was that bad? Hell no not even close. I would say Bush did a lot of really good things, but he also did a lot of really bad things, and a lot of that was because he didn't have the know how, the oversight, and had congress by the balls. The tea party is mostly wrong now, and will continue to be wrong either way. This is the key difference.

Not really considering the Tea Party supporters such as Beck and Palin have turned on a lot of very prominent conservatives, and Palin just last night was talking **** about the Republican seantor from MA Scott Brown for not being "constitutional" enough, and has even turned against the guy that brought her into the limelight, John McCain, so John McCain from 2010, had to run against John McCain from 2007 just to beat his tea party supported opponent.

Glenn Beck doesn't have much to do with tea parties and he's not a Republican.

I support the tea parties, but I'm not a Republican.

Bulllllllcraaaaaaap. Seriously has nothing to do with the tea party movement? Ok here let me give you 2 colorful pictures that will help you make the connection:

Here is the 9/12 project:
9_12_Project.jpg

here is the Gadsen flag often used during Tea Party rallies:
festus-albums-festus-stuff-picture2622-800px-gadsden-flag-svg.png

Hmm **** I wonder where Beck got the idea......

The fact of the matter is though, you will see more people going to comicbook conventions than go to these little tea festivals. The media just pays to much attention to them.

Last edited:
JohnW said,
Not really considering the Tea Party supporters such as Beck and Palin have turned on a lot of very prominent conservatives, and Palin just last night was talking **** about the Republican seantor from MA Scott Brown for not being "constitutional" enough, and has even turned against the guy that brought her into the limelight, John McCain, so John McCain from 2010, had to run against John McCain from 2007 just to beat his tea party supported opponent.
**************************************************************************************
Palin endorsed John McCain, not the tea party candidate.
Not something I agreed with on her on. McCain is far from Conservative.

Then I stand corrected at least she has the decency to do that. Also Barb you know if not for McCain you wouldn't even know who she is right?

Then I stand corrected at least she has the decency to do that. Also Barb you know if not for McCain you wouldn't even know who she is right?

Yes John,
I do. I hold Mr. McCain close to my heart and in my nightly prayers just because of that little fact.
I can't imagine life without Sarah Palin. ;-)

I chose: Beck & Palin (the Republicans) are TRYING to take it over but have NOT done so!

But I think there really is no such thing as the Tea Party that we see in the media. Movements need central leadership and broad appeal. Right now, the Tea Party is so poorly defined and organized that it's hard to say what they represent other than fiscal responsibility and limited federal government. My guess is that one of two things will happen:
A. The Tea Party stops receiving media attention after the 2010 elections and its members split up evenly between constitutionally minded Republicans and libertarians who will vote across party lines
B. The Tea Party's association with libertarians diminishes and the group becomes a wing of the Republican party as the entire GOP readjusts their platform on social issues to attract young voters

I chose: Beck & Palin (the Republicans) are TRYING to take it over but have NOT done so!

But I think there really is no such thing as the Tea Party that we see in the media. Movements need central leadership and broad appeal. Right now, the Tea Party is so poorly defined and organized that it's hard to say what they represent other than fiscal responsibility and limited federal government. My guess is that one of two things will happen:
A. The Tea Party stops receiving media attention after the 2010 elections and its members split up evenly between constitutionally minded Republicans and libertarians who will vote across party lines
B. The Tea Party's association with libertarians diminishes and the group becomes a wing of the Republican party as the entire GOP readjusts their platform on social issues to attract young voters

Here's how I can imagine it.
Let's pretend each individual Tea Party org.. (such as the Tea Party Patriots, or Freedom Works) is a State. Each state has a governor (the founder) and maybe a few representatives (organizers) but there is no President that ties all the states together.

Back
Top Bottom