• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the President a Laughingstock?

Greetings, Pero.:2wave:
I merely asked the question, so I'm pretty broad minded about the responses. A couple of points are worth making though. The problem with Asad is not that he doesn't like us, but that he runs a Shia regime. He provides an essential supply line for Hezbollah in Lebanon, and he facilitates projection of Iranian influence in the Middle East. His opposition is Sunni and includes extremists, but Syria is no more likely to accept religious rule than was Egypt.:peace

I wish I could believe that Jack.

We could have supported the Free Syrian Army a year ago before Al Qaeda was entrenched in Syria. There may be no good options, the Free Syrian Army might be the least bad.

20/20 hindsight. Maybe we should have but how could we have known at the time? We used to stick our noses in everywhere, particularly SA and we were many time embarrassed by our own antics. Now, maybe (or not) we don't do enough of that. And maybe we did and it was just covertly.

I still don't see why we should give a rat's ass about Syria. There are equally egregious activities all over the world. How many should we involve ourselves in?

I support my Republican Congressman's position to make the man from Genocide pay, right away.
I support Israel's right to determine who will be there Northern enemy, ASSad.
As for civil wars, The USAs' isn't over yet and never will be. We're not too good at that compromise thing either.
20/20 hindsight. Maybe we should have but how could we have known at the time? We used to stick our noses in everywhere, particularly SA and we were many time embarrassed by our own antics. Now, maybe (or not) we don't do enough of that. And maybe we did and it was just covertly.

I still don't see why we should give a rat's ass about Syria. There are equally egregious activities all over the world. How many should we involve ourselves in?

I support my Republican Congressman's position to make the man from Genocide pay, right away.
I support Israel's right to determine who will be there Northern enemy, ASSad.
As for civil wars, The USAs' isn't over yet and never will be. We're not too good at that compromise thing either.

What makes you think the Israelis favor Asad?

Then you didn't vote for the opponent of Keane.
And you won't be voting for Cuccinelli.
You are simply an arm-chair general who blames both parties and forgets his own votes.
I take responsibility for my votes and don't hide from the two-party system.
Since I have no party it is impossible for me to experience either victory or a "trouncing." Regardless, Pryor is the deadest of ducks.

You are simply an arm-chair general who blames both parties and forgets his own votes.

I have no idea who Keane is. Cuccinelli is marginally less repulsive than McAuliffe.

You're so well-versed in Middle East affairs, way ahead of me.
Even I know this one.
And yes, only the Jewish lobby groups have supported the President.
They want to weaken ASSad and tamp down Putin's influence.
They don't want Islamists extremists on the Golan Heights.

Did you mean Kaine?

Kaine is your Senator. Misspell. He oversaw the disastrous 2010 DNC. You did not vote for him.
Cooch is a Republican. Own the label or don't vote for him. He's a crook and a Republican for governor. Enough said.
I have no idea who Keane is. Cuccinelli is marginally less repulsive than McAuliffe.

You're so well-versed in Middle East affairs, way ahead of me.
Even I know this one.
And yes, only the Jewish lobby groups have supported the President.
They want to weaken ASSad and tamp down Putin's influence.
They don't want Islamists extremists on the Golan Heights.

Where are you getting this? For Israel Hezbollah and Iran are the most important enemies, and Asad is their ally.

Kaine is your Senator. Misspell. He oversaw the disastrous 2010 DNC. You did not vote for him.
Cooch is a Republican. Own the label or don't vote for him. He's a crook and a Republican for governor. Enough said.

I voted for Kaine. Cuccinelli leaves much to be desired but he's not a corporate cockroach and carpetbagger like McAuliffe.

I'll work on the linc since you haven't seen this.
Where are you getting this? For Israel Hezbollah and Iran are the most important enemies, and Asad is their ally.

Pure guess ahead. No facts.

The Israelis might favor Assad being back where he was pre-civil war. He wasn't any more confrontational than before. Now, they have the anxiety of not knowing who they're going to get. This is multi-factional so even if Assad goes, they still have to shoot it out to see who gets the prize. Then, things can really go downhill. In the end, Israel could face an Al Queada sponsored government with all those nice toys the Russians have sold them.

I doubt they "support" him in the classical sense.

Pure guess ahead. No facts.

The Israelis might favor Assad being back where he was pre-civil war. He wasn't any more confrontational than before. Now, they have the anxiety of not knowing who they're going to get. This is multi-factional so even if Assad goes, they still have to shoot it out to see who gets the prize. Then, things can really go downhill. In the end, Israel could face an Al Queada sponsored government with all those nice toys the Russians have sold them.

I doubt they "support" him in the classical sense.

Russians would never support an Al Qaeda-affiliated regime in Syria. Russians have their own Al Qaeda problem internally. The end of Asad means the end of Hezbollah's supply line to Lebanon -- a huge gain for Israel.

Well, the news is in!

Thanks to the brilliant diplomatic efforts of the Obama administration, Assad has agreed to give up his chemical weapons.

/thread

I don't know if he is perceived as a laughing stock or not personally, well mainly because I couldn't care less about Obama as a person.
What does raise concerns in the ME, Israel, Russia and other countries, is the inconsistency of the US foreign policy.
Moreover, that which is often perceived in the western world as a welcomed democratic process, public debates, etc... is often being perceived as a sign of weakness in other parts of the world.

Fallen.

And yet not a single statement can be produced that uses 9/11 as a justification for the invasion of Iraq.

From the AUTHORIZATION FOR USE OF MILITARY FORCE AGAINST IRAQ RESOLUTION OF 2002

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-107publ243/html/PLAW-107publ243.htm

Whereas members of al Qaida, an organization bearing responsibility for
attacks on the United States, its citizens, and interests, including
the attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001, are known to be in
Iraq;

Whereas Iraq continues to aid and harbor other international terrorist
organizations, including organizations that threaten the lives and
safety of United States citizens;

Whereas the attacks on the United States of September 11, 2001,
underscored the gravity of the threat posed by the acquisition of
weapons of mass destruction by international terrorist
organizations;

Whereas Iraq's demonstrated capability and willingness to use weapons of
mass destruction, the risk that the current Iraqi regime will either
employ those weapons to launch a surprise attack against the United
States or its Armed Forces or provide them to international
terrorists who would do so, and the extreme magnitude of harm that
would result to the United States and its citizens from such an
attack, combine to justify action by the United States to defend
itself;

Russians would never support an Al Qaeda-affiliated regime in Syria. Russians have their own Al Qaeda problem internally. The end of Asad means the end of Hezbollah's supply line to Lebanon -- a huge gain for Israel.

I sure hope you're right so something even approaching good comes out of this giant screw up.

Maybe Putin can be a write-in candidate in our next election:)

Back
Top Bottom