• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the President a Laughingstock?

precisely (although for some reason Cheney kept saying there was a coonection - Do you know why he did that?) ... but we wasted time and resources there ...

We invaded Iraq for reasons entirely unrelated to 9/11, and even Cheney stopped claiming a connection.

Good evening, AP.:2wave:

While secular moderates (Free Syrian Army) would be preferred, Israel would welcome many outcomes so long as Iran and Hezbollah are stymied. Syria is no more hospitable to Sunni extremism than Egypt has proven to be.:peace

The FSA has been largely decimated, and there are now several hundred factions fighting against Assad who will end up fighting amongst themselves if or when he is deposed...

not so sure ... Nimby may be on to something JH ... Asad is a known entity and the other stuff Israel can deal with with one hand in their pocket ...

Sorry, but no. Hezbollah is a difficult opponent for Israel and Iran could pose an existential threat.

The FSA has been largely decimated, and there are now several hundred factions fighting against Assad who will end up fighting amongst themselves if or when he is deposed...

The FSA has not been decimated at all. They are quite strong, in fact. The destruction of the Asad regime is worth a bit of chaos after his fall.:peace

We invaded Iraq for reasons entirely unrelated to 9/11, and even Cheney stopped claiming a connection.

I think you're missing my point ... I agree, the two were not connected, but the Bush admin made the case in part on connecting the two -- and regardless, they should've ben focused on Afghanistan ... Yeah, Cheney stopped, but it took him a long time, didn't it ...

The FSA has not been decimated at all. They are quite strong, in fact. The destruction of the Asad regime is worth a bit of chaos after his fall.:peace

and maybe a divided country in the end?

I think you're missing my point ... I agree, the two were not connected, but the Bush admin made the case in part on connecting the two -- and regardless, they should've ben focused on Afghanistan ... Yeah, Cheney stopped, but it took him a long time, didn't it ...

I understand your point, and I disagree. The GWB administration never based any part of the justification for invading Iraq on any claimed connection to 9/11.

We'll need to agree to disagree on this. BTW, did you see that the girl Kerry and McCain were citing as to the makeup of the opposition forces was fired for misrepresenting her degrees? I forget her name but she was supposedly an expert working for a war lobbing firm on ME affairs...

Sorry, but no. Hezbollah is a difficult opponent for Israel and Iran could pose an existential threat.

I think you're more worried than Israel is ... I think Israel likes certainty and stability even if what's in front of them is not good ... they know what they're dealing with now ... if Asad goes, there will probably be a prolonged period of uncertainty that will make Israel very nervous ... but what the hell do we know!? ... heading out, have a good of what's left of the day ...

I think you're more worried than Israel is ... I think Israel likes certainty and stability even if what's in front of them is not good ... they know what they're dealing with now ... if Asad goes, there will probably be a prolonged period of uncertainty that will make Israel very nervous ... but what the hell do we know!? ... heading out, have a good of what's left of the day ...

False. Israelis regard Hezbollah and Iran as the two most acute threats.

I understand your point, and I disagree. The GWB administration never based any part of the justification for invading Iraq on any claimed connection to 9/11.

sure they did ... you even acknowledged that Cheney connected the two for some time ... but, O.K., let's disagree ...

We'll need to agree to disagree on this. BTW, did you see that the girl Kerry and McCain were citing as to the makeup of the opposition forces was fired for misrepresenting her degrees? I forget her name but she was supposedly an expert working for a war lobbing firm on ME affairs...

No idea. I really don't care about stuff like that.

False. Israelis regard Hezbollah and Iran as the two most acute threats.

no problem with that, but a divided Syria will create unwelcomed uncertainty ... it muddies everything ...

I don't count on lobbying firms for data. Neither do Kerry & McCain, but they need something to cite in public.

When she's sitting behind Kerry during the hearing, it's supposed to lend credibility...

9/11 was never, ever, cited as a justification to invade Iraq.

I really do have to go, but see if you find this interesting:

An investigation by a committee in the House of Representatives in 2004 identified “237 misleading statements about the threat posed by Iraq that were made by President Bush, Vice President Cheney, Secretary Rumsfeld, Secretary Powell, and National Security Advisor Rice. These statements were made in 125 separate appearances, consisting of 40 speeches, 26 press conferences and briefings, 53 interviews, 4 written statements, and 2 congressional testimonies.” According to the committee, at least 61 separate statements “misrepresented Iraq’s ties to al-Qaeda.” A Senate investigation in 2006 also covered these lies.

I'll try to find out what this committee was later ... really do have to go ... take care ...

I really do have to go, but see if you find this interesting:

An investigation by a committee in the House of Representatives in 2004 identified “237 misleading statements about the threat posed by Iraq that were made by President Bush, Vice President Cheney, Secretary Rumsfeld, Secretary Powell, and National Security Advisor Rice. These statements were made in 125 separate appearances, consisting of 40 speeches, 26 press conferences and briefings, 53 interviews, 4 written statements, and 2 congressional testimonies.” According to the committee, at least 61 separate statements “misrepresented Iraq’s ties to al-Qaeda.” A Senate investigation in 2006 also covered these lies.

I'll try to find out what this committee was later ... really do have to go ... take care ...

And yet not a single statement can be produced that uses 9/11 as a justification for the invasion of Iraq.

Back
Top Bottom