• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the President a Laughingstock?

I just joined DP and get the feeling that this Board is a place where some people who don't like the president come to hope he messes up and if he does, to applaud. Am I right?

Your hunch is correct and can be confirmed by merely comparing how many people are interested in discussing how the events in Syria will affect the nation vs. how many are interested in discussing how the events in Syria will affect Obama

Feckless. What a great word.

I'm assuming that 2 years ago was when the civil war erupted in Syria? Wouldn't that have been premature since we really were clueless at the time? What could we even have done at the time? We surely don't love Assad but there are other much more important nations to worry about. Such as Iran (a lot) and NK (not as much but still...).

I am soooo OUT of love with Obama that I feel odd defending him. But he's not 100% responsible for every event in the world. Iran, for example, has been a thorn since the 1970s and nobody has handled this well or at all.

It's easier for an ally to handle a rigue nation than an opponent. So, in the case of Syria, I feel it is Putin's job and HE has been "feckless" since he should have insisted on Assad at the very least never using theses CWs since militarily, killing a bunch of kids doesn't accomplish anything useful and it was bound to arouse a ****-storm.

Frankly, I'm very unconvinced about who, if anybody, used these CWs. Bodies are bodies and it seemed like a pretty stupid move by Assad considering he's well educated and I think not religious or stupid.

Two years ago we were quite well informed, and the rebels we like (secular, moderate) were undisputed masters of the resistance. Asad was teetering, and Iran and Hezbollah had not yet come powerfully to his aid. We could have destroyed Iran's primary Middle East ally just by helping the people who like us. An opportunity missed. The destruction of the Asad regime would be a heavy strategic blow against both Iran and Hezbollah.:peace

Your hunch is correct and can be confirmed by merely comparing how many people are interested in discussing how the events in Syria will affect the nation vs. how many are interested in discussing how the events in Syria will affect Obama

that's too bad ... here's a thought on Syria ... it is in our interest for Asad to remain in power until we get the chemical weapons out of there or destroyed ... if the rebels win, Syria is likely to end up divided, different parts of the country controlled by different groups, and we don't want any of those groups to have access to those weapons ...

Israel prefers ASSad, not another extremist, Islamist foe, who would be their Northern neighbor on the Golan Heights.

Two years ago we were quite well informed, and the rebels we like (secular, moderate) were undisputed masters of the resistance. Asad was teetering, and Iran and Hezbollah had not yet come powerfully to his aid. We could have destroyed Iran's primary Middle East ally just by helping the people who like us. An opportunity missed. The destruction of the Asad regime would be a heavy strategic blow against both Iran and Hezbollah.:peace

Two years ago we were quite well informed, and the rebels we like (secular, moderate) were undisputed masters of the resistance.

Nonsense

The al-Nusra Front, a rabidly radical Islamist organization, has played a leading role in the uprising from the very beginning and the secular opposition could not unite behind any leader.

hindsight is 20/20 ... remember when we wasted valuable time and resources going into Iraq after 9/11 when we should've gone into Afghanistan full force?

5 members but only 3 names--who is hiding behind the skirt, like Romney did

I have no idea. I just thought the column would be good for discussion.:peace

it appears not to have been, but the discussion is still a good one ... We can all at least agree that we have a mess on our hands ...

it appears not to have been, but the discussion is still a good one ... We can all at least agree that we have a mess on our hands ...

A self created mess at that...

hindsight is 20/20 ... remember when we wasted valuable time and resources going into Iraq after 9/11 when we should've gone into Afghanistan full force?

Irrelevant. Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11, and we knew that.

The key word is some. You should say "almost all", just like the Republikan House saboteurs.
They're listening to their constituents because it embarrasses Obama, they think.
They did not listen to 91% of Americans who supported Toomey/Manchin, both conservatives.
Stay away from any 2nd amendment arguments. Bring your A game, even against like-minded folks.
Repubs enjoy giving Obama a weak hand to deal with Putin and ASSad.
Now it's on to destroying the economy this fall, something Repubs specialize in.

I just joined DP and get the feeling that this Board is a place where some people who don't like the president come to hope he messes up and if he does, to applaud. Am I right?

Israel prefers ASSad, not another extremist, Islamist foe, who would be their Northern neighbor on the Golan Heights.

That is uninformed nonsense. Without Asad, Hezbollah in Lebanon has no supply line and Iran's reach is blocked. Israel very much favors the destruction of the Asad regime.:peace

That is uninformed nonsense. Without Asad, Hezbollah in Lebanon has no supply line and Iran's reach is blocked. Israel very much favors the destruction of the Asad regime.:peace

Will they like what faction might end up in power? Good evening 2m...

Uninformed nonsense is reportable but I don't play that game like rightie wingnuts, not you, who tap on folks who haven't posted to them, trying to set them up.
Until negotiations have burned chemical weapons, the POTUS should be given a strong hand, and is when he is a Republican.

Indirect nonsense, as 2m would say to me. Hail to the Chief.
I'm salivating at Johnny ****head taking it in the shorts this Saturday.

Irrelevant. Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11, and we knew that.

precisely (although for some reason Cheney kept saying there was a coonection - Do you know why he did that?) ... but we wasted time and resources there ...

Good evening, AP.:2wave:

While secular moderates (Free Syrian Army) would be preferred, Israel would welcome many outcomes so long as Iran and Hezbollah are stymied. Syria is no more hospitable to Sunni extremism than Egypt has proven to be.:peace

not so sure ... Nimby may be on to something JH ... Asad is a known entity and the other stuff Israel can deal with with one hand in their pocket ...

Indirect nonsense, as 2m would say to me. Hail to the Chief.
I'm salivating at Johnny ****head taking it in the shorts this Saturday.

:lamo We'll have to wait until the game is played. I had a bad feeling before last year's game. I do have a better feeling about the rematch...

Uninformed nonsense is reportable but I don't play that game like rightie wingnuts, not you, who tap on folks who haven't posted to them, trying to set them up.
Until negotiations have burned chemical weapons, the POTUS should be given a strong hand, and is when he is a Republican.

I have no idea what you're talking about in your first sentence. As for the rest, it seems that our POTUS has run from a strong hand.

Back
Top Bottom