• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the Patriarchy a real thing in today's society?

Is the Patriarchy a thing today or not?

• Total voters
Nope. If context is taken out of context then the "actual law" is being warped... as is my point. What you are arguing is that contracts be signed because everything else might open up non.consenual quagmire accusations. It is fear based and victim establishing.

You're making me doubt that you understand how law works.

Stop making everything into a gender war thing.

Stop complaining, and answer my question. If a man made "that claim," would you be more likely to believe it?

When will you start defending other women as a lady ,that is what I wonder.I havent seen you do that up to now!

Some people defend what is right instead of defending wrongs that follow sexist lines...

Um... Did you look at the screen cap on the video? Like, where she says no and he just blows that off?

Or how about the part where she wonders what he put in her drink?

Or the part where he chastises her for hurting his ego by saying no?

None of that seems creepy or, yes, rapey, to you? You would feel comfortable with a man who appears to have spiked your drink and puts his pride above your consent?

Yeah, all of that.

I haven't listened to that song in forever, and I forgot about the part with the drink. That is some creepy **** right there.

Do I really need to point this out for you? If you are more offended with our pointing out asinine comments such as the one I quoted:

Then you have zero standing to whine when people state that there is a rape culture on college campuses and everywhere. If you cannot figure out why, then that is your problem and your problem alone, and you need to accept responsibility for understanding why.

So no argument. Ok. Lame... but ok.

The denial of actual rapexthat i quoted from law and women being oppressed.

Becuase I quoted multiple 'from law' and both the dictionary and consensus say that rape is non-consensual. Not simply under threat of direct violence.

I have two daughters. I guess I would rather they be oppressed than have opportunities. Great logic there. Smashing!

Whether you think they are oppressed or have opportunities is irrelevant to how their lives will play out.

I have trouble believing that claim.

If the claim were shown to be true to you, would you change your mind?

What do men get for free? Also, If you can, I would love for you or someone else to expand on the social privileges men get.

The privilege of walking down a busy street at night without being harassed by dudes for starters. Whenever I'm out at night with girls one or more will without fail get harassed and/or intimidated at some point in the night unlike me.

The privilege of going home on the subway without being followed. My female colleague at work recently had to complain to a boss that someone else at work would often wait until she left the office and would follow her on the train home. Even when she goes home with other people, she has to get off with them before her actual stop home, adding another 30 minute bus ride to her commute, because otherwise she's scared about him. I was walking back to the subway station with her one time after work when he literally appears right behind us out of nowhere, it freaked me out and I'm not the one that has to deal with it every week. I don't think twice about getting on the subway late at night. They do.

Ask a random guy what's the worst case scenario for a date, and he'll say 'oh we didn't bang or oh she didn't like me and rejected me and it was humiliating'. Go and ask a woman the same thing and the answers are more like 'he'll spike my drink and rape me or he'll be upset that I didn't like him and physically hurt me'.

I'm not saying these aren't things that can happen to guys. I'm not saying that they happen to all women. I'm saying that they're things that do happen to women much more often than men, that they are often due to men and so that they have to actively plan their lives around avoiding it.

You're making me doubt that you understand how law works.

Self-represented in family court case and won defeating a lawyer.

Try again?

Yeah, all of that.

I haven't listened to that song in forever, and I forgot about the part with the drink. That is some creepy **** right there.

Same here. Must've been years since I listened to it, and I never paid attention to the lyrics. When I saw that screencap, I thought "This must be a parody. I would have noticed if it was this bad." Nope. This is the real song that I heard over and over again throughout my childhood, and I didn't notice.

Listening to it now... holy ****. It's not even subtle. How the hell was this something that adults used to play to us as kids? How is this our model for a romantic evening? This is just straight-up date rape.

What's even worse is that I didn't even notice until I actually listened. I've been politically awake for over a decade now, and I've heard this song 100 times, and I never noticed. Acceptance of rape is practically background noise in our culture.

Um... Did you look at the screen cap on the video? Like, where she says no and he just blows that off?

Or how about the part where she wonders what he put in her drink?

Or the part where he chastises her for hurting his ego by saying no?

None of that seems creepy or, yes, rapey, to you? You would feel comfortable with a man who appears to have spiked your drink and puts his pride above your consent?

I've heard the song several times. I suppose if you're looking for "rapey behavior" you can find it just about anywhere.

This song is the story of two people whose sexual chemistry is obvious. She's trying to play coy and he's buttering her up with compliments. Sure, you can take the drink comment and say "OMG!!! He spiked her drink!!!" OR you could take it as her feeling incredibly horny and teasing him that he must've put something in her drink to make her feel this way. She's torn between the "What would people say tomorrow?" feeling and wanting to jump his bones. This song was written in a time when it was taboo for a woman to spend the night with a man that wasn't her husband, hence, her hesitation.

But, as I said, you can probably find "rapey" behavior in anything if you're desperate to find it.

Same here. Must've been years since I listened to it, and I never paid attention to the lyrics. When I saw that screencap, I thought "This must be a parody. I would have noticed if it was this bad." Nope. This is the real song that I heard over and over again throughout my childhood, and I didn't notice.

Listening to it now... holy ****. It's not even subtle. How the hell was this something that adults used to play to us as kids? How is this our model for a romantic evening? This is just straight-up date rape.

What's even worse is that I didn't even notice until I actually listened. I've been politically awake for over a decade now, and I've heard this song 100 times, and I never noticed. Acceptance of rape is practically background noise in our culture.

Actually I think a *lot* of old-time fiction was even more rapey than some of the **** today. Hell even as recently as the early '90s, when Beauty showed one of the worst cases of Stockholm Syndrome in Disney history.

Self-represented in family court case and won defeating a lawyer.

Try again?

Like everything else you've said in this thread I have no reason to believe or give credence to that. You very well could have, but you give me nothing to inspire confidence.

You seem to be under the impression that your personal interpretation of the law supersedes that of existing law. That is evident in your proclaiming that your personal definition is the legal definition even in light of existing statues that directly contradict that.

Actually I think a *lot* of old-time fiction was even more rapey than some of the **** today. Hell even as recently as the early '90s, when Beauty showed one of the worst cases of Stockholm Syndrome in Disney history.

LOL! Who ARE you people?

I've heard the song several times. I suppose if you're looking for "rapey behavior" you can find it just about anywhere.

This song is the story of two people whose sexual chemistry is obvious. She's trying to play coy and he's buttering her up with compliments. Sure, you can take the drink comment and say "OMG!!! He spiked her drink!!!" OR you could take it as her feeling incredibly horny and teasing him that he must've put something in her drink to make her feel this way. She's torn between the "What would people say tomorrow?" feeling and wanting to jump his bones. This song was written in a time when it was taboo for a woman to spend the night with a man that wasn't her husband, hence, her hesitation.

But, as I said, you can probably find "rapey" behavior in anything if you're desperate to find it.

Does this mean that in the context of modern times, not when it was written, you are okay with the lyrics and the implications?

Looking for it? It's not subtle. I seriously thought this was a parody when I saw the screencap. I had never actually listened to the lyrics. I was ready to write the song off as "eh, not that bad." People wouldn't play it for kids if it was that bad, right? And then I actually listened to the lyrics for the first time in my life. Just listened, on a really surface, basic level. No dissection necessary.

You are making excuses for a man coercing her into staying with him by literally telling her she's not allowed to offend his pride. How is that "buttering her up"? How is him making his ego more important than her consent a compliment?

You're also really bending over backwrds to make excuses for what is a pretty blatantly drink spiking comment.

Does this mean that in the context of modern times, not when it was written, you are okay with the lyrics and the implications?

I'm perfectly fine with the song. I believe the implications are as I stated unless you can prove that the lyricist meant something else.

Modern society has gotten pretty good at rationalizing rape with a pleasant melody or nice sound effects. People see and hear this stuff and it normalizes it for them.

Do I really need to point this out for you? If you are more offended with our pointing out asinine comments such as the one I quoted:

Then you have zero standing to whine when people state that there is a rape culture on college campuses and everywhere. If you cannot figure out why, then that is your problem and your problem alone, and you need to accept responsibility for understanding why.

What? The one in four number isn't even close to correct, but if it was then advocating women go to college is like advocating they should take a vacation in South Africa with their daughters. How is saying that offensive?

Like everything else you've said in this thread I have no reason to believe or give credence to that. You very well could have, but you give me nothing to inspire confidence.

You seem to be under the impression that your personal interpretation of the law supersedes that of existing law. That is evident in your proclaiming that your personal definition is the legal definition even in light of existing statues that directly contradict that.

Off to Star Wars... i hope it is better than this :2wave:

And, very seriously here, would Doris Day have agreed to sing a song that advocated drugging or raping a woman? I think most people associate her with her wholesome/good-girl sexy movie image, but before she became an actor, Day was a very successful band vocalist, so she knew what was what.

LOL! Who ARE you people?

:shock: :lamo

I'm perfectly fine with the song. I believe the implications are as I stated unless you can prove that the lyricist meant something else.

OK Josie, let's play a little thought experiment here. Let's suppose that you were single and that you were over at my place for an evening. (Yes, go ahead, you can laugh, cause neither of us have any intention of making this thought experiment become reality.) And let's suppose that you were ready to go home, but I kept you from leaving, because "baby, it's cold outside." Would you feel pleased that I wanted to keep you from the cold, or would you be nervous that I wanted to do God-knows-what to you?

Back
Top Bottom