• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the Patriarchy a real thing in today's society?

Is the Patriarchy a thing today or not?

• Total voters
Wait, so they are in need of a movement so they manufacture a cause, or they have a cause so they manufacture a movement?

Manufacture a cause because they have such misplaced anger...

In most western countries the patriarchy doesn't exist any more. Not in the way some feminists like to pretend it does.

There are still inequalities that women face, but they're all pretty minor stuff, and they're easily balanced out by the advantages that women have in today's society.

On of the topics brought up here was about Women in STEM, When I worked in the School of Sciences at a University,
They were always trying to get Women to enroll.
I think there were unclaimed scholarships, just for Women, that went unclaimed year after year.

The argument is a quarter of all college females are brutally raped with many more sexually assaulted. Why any college grad female would ever let her daughter go baffles me.

You just outright proved the OP with this utterly disgusting post.

Patriarchy is a social system in which males hold primary power and predominate in roles of political leadership, moral authority, social privilege and control of property.

How can anyone look at society and deny that.

Because that would involve our admitting that some of the things we men get in life for free, women don't. And for many men, that violates their ego on a deeply visceral level.

Because you guys don't distinguish between rape as being ****ed behind a dumpster by a guy in a ski mask and as opposed to being pressured into sex by a close friend. The vast majority of rapes are in the second category, not the first. And many people (many of whom are parents) don't seem to see the second as an issue.

Pressured into sex by a close friend is not rape.

Pressured implies she agreed to the sex at some point.

Rape is her never agreeing to it and it being taken by force.

On of the topics brought up here was about Women in STEM, When I worked in the School of Sciences at a University,
They were always trying to get Women to enroll.
I think there were unclaimed scholarships, just for Women, that went unclaimed year after year.

Not surprised. College is too late. I had my first teacher who told me girls can't do math and treated me accordingly when I was 9.

Girls have a lot of performance anxiety in STEM fields, and often lose ground over the course of primary and secondary school because of it. And this only gets worse in college; males in STEM fields are often just as bad towards women in their classes.

This is shown pretty dramatically by seeing what happens if you test girls in math without any boys present in the room: all of a sudden, their attainment gap totally disappears. Gee, imagine that.

You can't wait until you're dealing with an adult who already has all kinds of baggage and probably lost 5 years worth of learning because of it. You have to fix it when they're still young enough to recover from it.

This is the same problem that exists with AA and scholarships for black people, and everyone wondering why they still aren't graduating. Uh, because the schools they went to were so deprived that they never learned how to read. Duh. Giving them money to go to a college they're not prepared for won't suddenly make them better readers. Same deal with why women don't do STEM in college. You're too late. You should have been dealing with this when she was 8, not 18.

I knew lots of girls who were interested in a STEM field when they were little. But most of them believed girls can't do math by the time they graduated.

To me, rape is non-consensual sex.

Someone can be pressured into having sex when they don't want to.

That's rape.

Please explain why somebody would have sex they don't want to have no matter the amount of pressure.

The woman just needs to say no and walk out.

Please explain why somebody would have sex they don't want to have no matter the amount of pressure.

The woman just needs to say no and walk out.

Because sometimes, when women say no, men beat or kill them.

That's why.

Every woman I have ever known has had sex she wasn't happy about, because she felt it was her safest way out of the situation.

. Oh . My . God .

:roll:

What? You said your definition was the law and I'm giving you a very real example that counters that. By technicality I can even understand where you're coming from.

So far you are the one criticizing me for lack of foundation to my argument but as far as I'm concerned you have offered nothing of substance in return. Just condescending retorts, and not just to me in this thread.

Yes. Very much so.

Because sometimes, when women say no, men beat or kill them.

That's why.

Every woman I have ever known has had sex she wasn't happy about, because she felt it was her safest way out of the situation.

That is not pressure. That is threat of physical violence. They are very different things.

That is not pressure. That is threat of physical violence. They are very different things.

No it isn't. When someone pressures a woman into sex, he is already showing he doesn't really care about her feelings or desires. He is already showing his potential for violence, purely in the act of trying to coerce her. The kind of person who finds it appealing to have sex with a woman who clearly isn't into it is the same kind of person who wouldn't have much of a problem holding her down and forcing her to do it anyway.

They're the same person, dude.

Not surprised. College is too late. I had my first teacher who told me girls can't do math and treated me accordingly when I was 9.

I had a similar experience when I was little. 6th grade, I believe. I always loved school, except math.

No it isn't. When someone pressures a woman into sex, he is already showing he doesn't really care about her feelings or desires. He is already showing his potential for violence, purely in the act of trying to coerce her. The kind of person who finds it appealing to have sex with a woman who clearly isn't into it is the same kind of person who wouldn't have much of a problem holding her down and forcing her to do it anyway.

They're the same person, dude.

And we live in a society where we literally have holiday songs endorsing this behavior. And people say there's no patriarchy.

Last edited:

I have trouble believing that claim.

Because that would involve our admitting that some of the things we men get in life for free, women don't. And for many men, that violates their ego on a deeply visceral level.

What do men get for free? Also, If you can, I would love for you or someone else to expand on the social privileges men get.

You just outright proved the OP with this utterly disgusting post.

What is wrong with his post? If the rape numbers being reported from college are correct then it brings into question why a college educated mother would allow her daughter to go there. You're talking about rape numbers that these studies are saying are 25%, which is literally higher than anywhere else in the US. Hell, South Africa has about the same rates for women and that place quite literally thinks rape cures AIDS.

What's dishonest and sexist of me?

The denial of actual rapexthat i quoted from law and women being oppressed.

I have trouble believing that claim.

I did too, when I first started putting it to the test. And most of the women I talked to were pretty shocked even as they listened to themselves talk.

I was curious about this a few years ago, so I started asking any woman I knew who I felt was comfortable enough with me to answer. I phrased it as something along the lines of, have you ever had sex they didn't want or were unhappy about, in order to make it easier to get away, or to keep him calm, etc. Something along those lines. And from there, I shut my mouth, and they talked.

I expected a large minority to say yes. But that's not what happened.

All said yes without exception or even hesitation. Most told me their stories. As in MULTIPLE stories. Nearly all of these women, with the exception of a lesbian who had sex with men fewer than 5 times in her life, had been through this MULTIPLE times. In some cases, too many times to count. For an unfortunate few, this was their entire sexual relationship with their partner.

And it wasn't until they sat down and started talking about it that they realized what it was. To women, this is just how the world is. The world cares so little about our consent that settling for a lesser assault is preferable to risking a bigger one; not being assaulted doesn't even seem like an option, and for many women, it probably isn't.

Believe me, at the time, I was shocked too. I didn't expect this either. I thought we'd come further than this. It was a cold slap in the face to realize we haven't.

Last edited:
What is wrong with his post? If the rape numbers being reported from college are correct then it brings into question why a college educated mother would allow her daughter to go there. You're talking about rape numbers that these studies are saying are 25%, which is literally higher than anywhere else in the US. Hell, South Africa has about the same rates for women and that place quite literally thinks rape cures AIDS.

1st. You're quite literally painting the picture of what is the problem. You're saying women have to sacrifice their education because "boys will be boys," and basically suggesting that higher education is a man's sphere.

2nd. Can you give me a link to where in South Africa they believe rape curs aids?

I have two daughters. I guess I would rather they be oppressed than have opportunities. Great logic there. Smashing!

What? You said your definition was the law and I'm giving you a very real example that counters that. By technicality I can even understand where you're coming from.

So far you are the one criticizing me for lack of foundation to my argument but as far as I'm concerned you have offered nothing of substance in return. Just condescending retorts, and not just to me in this thread.

You disagree with the law... not me.

Back
Top Bottom