• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the Patriarchy a real thing in today's society?

Is the Patriarchy a thing today or not?

• Total voters

I think you have a lot more learning to do on this subject. I'd urge you to do it openly, rather than seeking to make everyone pleased with you by treading water on some non-existent "middle ground."

Yeah i think a lot of people employ anecdotes as well, "my life is good, therefore my minority group is well-treated." It just goes to show you that the feminists who cautioned that the next generation is taking it for granted, as it's "in the water" so to speak, were dead-on.

Yeah i think a lot of people employ anecdotes as well, "my life is good, therefore my minority group is well-treated." It just goes to show you that the feminists who cautioned that the next generation is taking it for granted, as it's "in the water" so to speak, were dead-on.

Women are not a minority group. It's a bit hard to be a minority when you're the majority.

Did you even read what I wrote?

Yeah, and hunter and gather societies had gender roles. Whatever you think people are capable of moving towards when it comes to some kind of dreamy egalitarian society isn't going to be found looking there.

Yeah, and hunter and gather societies had gender roles. Whatever you think people are capable of moving towards when it comes to some kind of dreamy egalitarian society isn't going to be found looking there.

Thanks for making it clear that you didn't. Have a good night.

Thanks for making it clear that you didn't. Have a good night.

Yeah, I did. You think gender roles are something society can move beyond to reach some dreamy equal society of no exceptions for either gender. Have fun with that.

Women constitute less than 5% of the CEO's of the S&P 500.

The context is leadership.

So what? Are you going to push the conspiracy that they're only hired when companies are failing too? My company is failing? ****! What do I do? I know, hire a woman CEO to make women look bad. :lamo

Women are not a minority group. It's a bit hard to be a minority when you're the majority.

"A minority group refers to a category of people differentiated from the social majority, those who hold the majority of positions of social power in a society, and it may be defined by law. "

-wikipedia

"A minority group refers to a category of people differentiated from the social majority, those who hold the majority of positions of social power in a society, and it may be defined by law. "

-wikipedia

I don't accept that definition.

:lol:

"I don't accept that words don't mean what I want them to mean for my convenience in political bickering!"

"I don't accept that words don't mean what I want them to mean for my convenience in political bickering!"

Calling the majority a minority is something I just won't accept. Deal with it or don't. :shrug:

3. I am using the legal definition. Anybody is free to have any opinion they want though.

2. My definition of rape is THE DEFINITION and it also includes not being able to consent. Wanna try again?

1. Ok. Lots of people's opinions.

"My definition" is the law. The law includes statutory rape. Anything else?

You're just wrong Bodhi.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/blog/updated-definition-rape

“The penetration, no matter how slight, of the vagina or anus with any body part or object, or oral penetration by a sex organ of another person, without the consent of the victim.”

Rape - FindLaw

The crime of rape generally refers to non-consensual sexual intercourse that is committed by physical force, threat of injury, or other duress.

Sigh. Dude, no offense, but I don't think I'm up to talking to a guy that thinks not getting a yes to kiss a girl is sexual assault. I just don't have the energy for that right now.

Hey, it's okay booboo, you get to walk away from your problem (me). Women don't get to walk away from living in the patriarchy. So even if you don't have the energy, I do.

Nope. It's where ONLY males "hold primary power and predominate in roles of political leadership, moral authority, social privilege and control of property.". That fine line that the word "only" defines is critical to this discussion. By leaving it out, you open the door to a gross misinterpretation.

According to whom?

Merriam Webster:
Social organization marked by the supremacy of the father in the clan or family, the legal dependence of wives and children, and the reckoning of descent and inheritance in the male line; broadly : control by men of a disproportionately large share of power

In this particular case if women so chose the could easily not be a "minority" and are very much numerically a majority. Therefore the definition is inaccurate, and misleading, not necessarily incorrect. Which means that Henrin is right. Just because some "authority" said something doesn't make it so.

The people who say that the "patriarchy" is alive and well in the United States, are so full of **** as to need a movement.

The people who say that the "patriarchy" is alive and well in the United States, are so full of **** as to need a movement.

Wait, so they are in need of a movement so they manufacture a cause, or they have a cause so they manufacture a movement?

Hey, it's okay booboo, you get to walk away from your problem (me). Women don't get to walk away from living in the patriarchy. So even if you don't have the energy, I do.

:roll: And I'm sure women are totally oppressed by this patriarchy that somehow exists.

Wait, so they are in need of a movement so they manufacture a cause, or they have a cause so they manufacture a movement?

..a bowel movement.

The former. There may have at one time been some basis for a movement, but that basis is long been over, by at least a generation. Mission has been accomplished and then some. These days all this movement or that movement is, a jobs program for people who don't want to work at a real job actually doing something of substance, and or creating something of substance. Sad part is most Americans are so generous and trusting that they actually give these twats money to help undermine themselves aside from the Sorros's of the world who have ulterior motives.

Poll is incoming.

So the question is very simple: is there a system in our society that excludes women from oppurtunities and positions of power, while men get to make all of the decisions? Or is that not the case at all?

My take is that there isn't any "patriarchy" in today's society. And if there is, they are doing a downright terrible job at keeping women oppressed. Now in other places around the world like Saudi Arabia, there most definitely is a patriarchy, seeing as in those countries women have little to no rights at all.

I am by no means some SJW person, as anyone that's spared with me knows. I do think there are some vestiges of a patriarchal system still in play, but I don't think it represents much of a barrier anymore.

There are some piddly things that are easy examples like women generally expected take the man's last name. I've definitely seen things in the military.

It is when study after study and the voices of millions of women all consistently and without variation show this is a thing that happens to most women on a frequent basis. But sure, make up your own reality and ignore most of my posts as need be.

I don't care what studies that you are not showing say. As a bartender and regular partier at clubs, bars and house parties for decades can tell you... not too mention just a guy out and about, a few guys are assholes. The VAST majority don't harass women as they "walk about the streets". Sell that stupid crap to feminists, liberals and the Court system. They are buying.

As Nilly addressed earlier, your definition would negate instances of sexual relations with minors and other instances of coercion. I'll use my own state, Pennsylvania's statues relating to the matter an as example.

This is from Title 18, Chapter 31 statutes relating to Crimes & Offenses relating to sexual offenses:

Looking at this section I'm beginning to better understand where you're coming from since we are using rape and sexual assault fairly interchangeably. But as we move further into the statue we see that definitions relating to what is considered to be "Involuntary deviate sexual intercourse" are practically identical in Section 3123, and we see Sexual assualt's definition directly reference the other two:

This still doesn't really contradict what you're saying, but let's move a bit further into the chapter with institutional sexual assault as addressed in section 3124.2 subsections (a) and (a.1):

Now this does not specifically address many of the instances we were talking about, but this clearly presents those three offenses as being incredibly congruent and that explicit force is not required in these circumstances.

. Oh . My . God .

:roll:

-wikipedia

That is a narrow and inaccurate definition.
The minority can not be a minority if it is the majority.

Back
Top Bottom