• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the Patriarchy a real thing in today's society?

Is the Patriarchy a thing today or not?

• Total voters
It was quite annoying early on when I kept getting PM's from guys who thought the same thing :)

If I got a year back for every time I had to say, "I am a guy," from all those amorous admirers, I would be the Governess's age right now.

Well you don't indicate your gender under your screen name. That probably would have clued me in. But knowing you are attractive is not a bad thing. :)

Well you don't indicate your gender under your screen name. That probably would have clued me in. But knowing you are attractive is not a bad thing. :)

I'm staring at a 54th birthday in a few weeks. So, the attractiveness is relative. My wife seems to think I am cute. So, I'm pretty pleased with that.

I'm staring at a 54th birthday in a few weeks. So, the attractiveness is relative. My wife seems to think I am cute. So, I'm pretty pleased with that.

Well you do have your obnoxious male qualities--I won't consider them bitchiness from now on :)--but I will admit to a glimpse of cuteness now and then too. And for your wife to appreciate you is a really good thing.

Poll is incoming.

So the question is very simple: is there a system in our society that excludes women from oppurtunities and positions of power, while men get to make all of the decisions? Or is that not the case at all?

My take is that there isn't any "patriarchy" in today's society. And if there is, they are doing a downright terrible job at keeping women oppressed. Now in other places around the world like Saudi Arabia, there most definitely is a patriarchy, seeing as in those countries women have little to no rights at all.

Just to answer your question, Yes of course it is a real thing in today's society. Now discussions can be had on WHERE it exists and to what EXTENT but there's no doubt it exists.

It was quite annoying early on when I kept getting PM's from guys who thought the same thing :)

If I got a year back for every time I had to say, "I am a guy," from all those amorous admirers, I would be the Governess's age right now.

I got the same thing and still do from time to time...

Just to answer your question, Yes of course it is a real thing in today's society. Now discussions can be had on WHERE it exists and to what EXTENT but there's no doubt it exists.

Ok then... where is it and what is the extent and if it so obvious why do I need to ask where it is?

I got the same thing and still do from time to time...

The last one I received was really strange. It started with "I'm kind of new to this internet thing..."

I said, "Yeah. You certainly must be, because I'm a dude."

Never heard from him again. :)

The last one I received was really strange. It started with "I'm kind of new to this internet thing..."

I said, "Yeah. You certainly must be, because I'm a dude."

Never heard from him again. :)

Well... I never PM'd you again.

Sweden doesn't get some different brand of woman, yet they have much higher participation in the legislature. Why is that? It could be because of subtle yet pervasive cultural influence.

My point was that men in USA experience more discrimination then women -- even though women do experience discrimination. There are more men in prison then in all of society's elite positions.

In US South, >2% of adult men are incarcerated. In Sweden, 0.15% of adult men are incarcerated. In US South prison conditions are horrible, in Sweden prison conditions are humane. In USA, disabled people get very little help, in Sweden they get lots of help.

Scandinavia is a much better place for all people.

Poll is incoming.

So the question is very simple: is there a system in our society that excludes women from oppurtunities and positions of power, while men get to make all of the decisions? Or is that not the case at all?

My take is that there isn't any "patriarchy" in today's society. And if there is, they are doing a downright terrible job at keeping women oppressed. Now in other places around the world like Saudi Arabia, there most definitely is a patriarchy, seeing as in those countries women have little to no rights at all.

I think that the patriarchy is alive and well. The soul of our society is still masculine. We live in a male ego driven society, overly enamored with posturing. The biggest mama's boy in the room is the mob boss. But, he has to posture himself correctly lest his ego be shredded to pieces. It's a red, oppressive energy I feel in society. An insecure, quest for instant gratification and ego satisfaction. That's what you get when you're a taker. As opposed to the giving nature of a nourishing energy when you let go of self, to be vulnerable in the presence of the everlasting love of a connected community. That's the feminine side. I'll believe the patriarchy has been dismantled when witches are openly revered in society.

Back
Top Bottom