• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the media biased? Just ask MSNBC's Scarborough and Morning Joe panel

Grim17

Battle Ready
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
This entire segment is worth watching, but the relevant part about the media starts at the 5:55 mark. He points out what's so patently obvious to everyone, except of course those who put politics above honesty:

This entire segment is worth watching, but the relevant part about the media starts at the 5:55 mark. He points out what's so patently obvious to everyone, except of course those who put politics above honesty:

Ha- it was worth watching just to see the blonde woman's discomfort. :lol:

One has to agree with the premise that not only was Obama callous and tone deaf to the Navy Yard shooting, but the media covered again for Obama. Had that been G.W Bush, would the media have reacted the same? Hmm... I'd venture to say the tar and feathers along with the rail would be prepared outside 1600 just waiting for G.W. to appear.

Never more true that had the President been GW Bush, there would be outrage beyond anything we've seen yet out of MSNBC. The most unfortunate part of this is, there will be very little outrage, very little cost as the media overwhelmingly protect President Obama and we have 3 more years of this. This gives new meaning to the word, "Out of touch".

]

Hooray, Joe Scarborough has an opinion, the fact is he doesn't know how the media would have reacted given the same situation with President Bush. But of course Bush wasn't faced with an average one of these shooting per month. These shootings have become so common place these days that people don't think that much anymore about them.

Hooray, Joe Scarborough has an opinion, the fact is he doesn't know how the media would have reacted given the same situation with President Bush. But of course Bush wasn't faced with an average one of these shooting per month. These shootings have become so common place these days that people don't think that much anymore about them.

Just as I said, he points out what's so patently obvious to everyone, except of course those who put politics above honesty.

An anti-MSNBC thread and it took 4 posts for Pete to vomit. Longer than I expected.

what's so patently obvious to everyone, except of course those who put politics above honesty

I wasn't aware we were going to talk about Fox News Pundits?;)

Here we go again.

Yes, MSNBC would have been "outraged" no matter what Bush said, because that's what MSNBC does. Just like Fox News is "outraged" about anything Obama says, because that's what Fox News does.

They, however, are not "the media." They are two outlets of it, sure, but hardly representative of "the media" as a whole.

The vast majority of "ermahgerd the media is liberal biased ermahgerd" seems to stem from the hypothetical "If X were president then Y." I don't believe in Argument from Hypothetical.

Just as I said, he points out what's so patently obvious to everyone, except of course those who put politics above honesty.
Who gives a **** what you said?? If you are implying I was being dishonest,show me.

This is a pretty rotten way of trying to silence those who don't buy into the meme.

Who gives a **** what you said?? If you are implying I was being dishonest,show me.

So basically, all he has to do is pick any of almost fourteen thousand posts.

About the only thing you were honest about is when you admitted to being dishonest.

If Rachel Maddow told you to jump, you'd detach your balls and grab a trampoline.

This is a pretty rotten way of trying to silence those who don't buy into the meme.

Dishonesty is dishonesty... Even if a person is so blinded by there political beliefs and truly doesn't see the liberal bias in the main stream news media themselves, they would have to discount every one of the many studies and surveys that have been done over the years that concluded that the MSM does have a liberal bias. A person may believe something isn't true based on their own feelings, but when there is stacks of evidence, along with studies and surveys that contradict that belief, it's just plain dishonest to continue to deny it's existence.

The honest response from someone who just isn't capable of seeing the bias, when asked "Does the main stream news media have a liberal bias", is "Apparently so, but I don't see it."

For 12 years I've posted on political boards, and I'm still waiting someone on the left to finally step up and say something like that.

Dishonesty is dishonesty... Even if a person is so blinded by there political beliefs and truly doesn't see the liberal bias in the main stream news media themselves, they would have to discount every one of the many studies and surveys that have been done over the years that concluded that the MSM does have a liberal bias. A person may believe something isn't true based on their own feelings, but when there is stacks of evidence, along with studies and surveys that contradict that belief, it's just plain dishonest to continue to deny it's existence.

The honest response from someone who just isn't capable of seeing the bias, when asked "Does the main stream news media have a liberal bias", is "Apparently so, but I don't see it."

For 12 years I've posted on political boards, and I'm still waiting someone on the left to finally step up and say something like that.

The problem with those "studies and surveys" is that they rarely, if ever, properly define "main stream news media."

Is, say, conservative talk radio "main stream news media"? The average person would probably say "no, it's opinion"; however, a great many of the millions upon millions who listen to Rush will take what he claims as gospel. When opinion and information have been so cavalierly mixed, pretty much anything could be construed as "news media."

Now, could it be said that most "main stream news media" has a pro-government slant? Absolutely. Specifically, slanted toward those in power or those about to be. Witness the "main stream news media" beating the war drums in 2003 leading up to Iraq. Even liberal MSNBC fired Phil Donahue for speaking out against the war.

The other issue with these "studies and surveys" is that they rarely, if ever, define exactly what "liberal bias" entails. If there is a "liberal" politician and a "conservative" politician debating an issue, and the "liberal" is clearly correct on the issue, and coverage is more favorable to that, is that "liberal bias"? Or is that simply the media reporting what the facts are? Too many people see facts reported they don't agree with, since in today's hyper-polarized society people feel they are perfectly entitled to facts that support their predetermined worldview, and attribute the lack of self-affirmation to "bias."

The problem with those "studies and surveys" is that they rarely, if ever, properly define "main stream news media."

Is, say, conservative talk radio "main stream news media"? The average person would probably say "no, it's opinion"; however, a great many of the millions upon millions who listen to Rush will take what he claims as gospel. When opinion and information have been so cavalierly mixed, pretty much anything could be construed as "news media."

Now, could it be said that most "main stream news media" has a pro-government slant? Absolutely. Specifically, slanted toward those in power or those about to be. Witness the "main stream news media" beating the war drums in 2003 leading up to Iraq. Even liberal MSNBC fired Phil Donahue for speaking out against the war.

The other issue with these "studies and surveys" is that they rarely, if ever, define exactly what "liberal bias" entails. If there is a "liberal" politician and a "conservative" politician debating an issue, and the "liberal" is clearly correct on the issue, and coverage is more favorable to that, is that "liberal bias"? Or is that simply the media reporting what the facts are? Too many people see facts reported they don't agree with, since in today's hyper-polarized society people feel they are perfectly entitled to facts that support their predetermined worldview, and attribute the lack of self-affirmation to "bias."

The only surveys and studies I even pay attention to are concerning the news media. In fact, I don't know of any done on opinion based media.

The only surveys and studies I even pay attention to are concerning the news media. In fact, I don't know of any done on opinion based media.

Then you're missing my point entirely. For one, the studies often wildly vary depending on who is conducting them; and the surveys wildly vary depending on who is being surveyed. Conservatives feel the media is liberal; liberals feel the media is either conservative or corporatist. Either side draws its conclusions based on its ideological bent.

However, where I was going was that opinion-based media often has the same effect, or more, as actual news media. A great many people strictly get their news from Rush Limbaugh, or Jon Stewart, or Sean Hannity, or whoever, and that generally doesn't fall under the auspices of "news media" and is thereby unaccounted for.

You can "just pay attention" to those surveys and studies; however, you're not getting the full "story" of how America gets its information, or disinformation.

What difference does it make! Right Pete?

Then you're missing my point entirely. For one, the studies often wildly vary depending on who is conducting them; and the surveys wildly vary depending on who is being surveyed. Conservatives feel the media is liberal; liberals feel the media is either conservative or corporatist. Either side draws its conclusions based on its ideological bent.

However, where I was going was that opinion-based media often has the same effect, or more, as actual news media. A great many people strictly get their news from Rush Limbaugh, or Jon Stewart, or Sean Hannity, or whoever, and that generally doesn't fall under the auspices of "news media" and is thereby unaccounted for.

You can "just pay attention" to those surveys and studies; however, you're not getting the full "story" of how America gets its information, or disinformation.
This italic highlighted area is true. Now, just take that and apply it to the oft-quoted studies here on other threads and other topics, and one can begin to understand that the credence placed on "studies" depends in large part on exactly who conducted the study and what the outcome is intended to demonstrate. Many which receive near reverential credence are laughable in that the study and the outcome were specifically designed to prove their thesis from the start. I would agree that someone with an agenda would be silly not to conduct a study in that manner, but it is even more ridiculous give credence to the results.

edit: For some reason, the italic did not post. Here's the part I was referring to: "...the studies often wildly vary depending on who is conducting them; and the surbey wildly vary depending on who is being surveyed."

Back
Top Bottom