• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

IS THE LABEL "MADE IN USA" really true?

presluc

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
[h=1]Made in the USA: Journey behind the label[/h]By Rick Klein, Olivier Knox, Richard Coolidge, and Jordyn Phelps | Power Players – 3 hrs ago
After a manufacturing plant closed down in his hometown of Ravenswood, W.Va., resulting in 650 people losing their jobs, Josh Miller began to wonder what was really made in America anymore.

He decided to set out on a 30-day road trip across the United States in search of answers for how to revive American manufacturing - all the while trying to survive on only goods and products stamped with “Made in USA.”
“I really thought that I could take this opportunity to give the Made in America movement and these folks a voice,” said Miller, who documented his trip in a film, “Made in the USA: The 30 Day Journey.”
Miller told Top Line that the Made in America movement isn’t so much about trying to get people to buy only American-made products that might be more expensive than foreign-made ones, but it’s about finding solutions to lower the prices of American-made products.
“I think there are a lot of policies that we can push to help allow our businesses here in America to help reduce costs and lower the prices,” Miller said. “We need to put policies in place that allow us to outcompete the world, and that's what this film was about.”
While Miller hopes that Congress and the president will act to help American businesses become more competitive, his producer, Ron Newcomb, added that they also want to see less government regulation.
“They need to also get out of the way, if you will, and let Americans to do what they do best, thrive in a business environment,” Newcomb said, referring to the federal government.
But perhaps the most effective and immediate solution to create more manufacturing jobs in the United States, Miller and Newcomb said, is for the American consumer to demand it.
“It's a business aspect too,” Miller said. “If the consumers create that demand, the businesses will meet that demand. Request it, demand it, and it will come back and jobs will come back.”

My question would be which bailed first the demand for American products or the outsourcing of American jobs?

For it has been stated by American big business and American corporations and supporters of big business and corporations "it is not their responsibility to furnish or create jobs for unskilled American workers"

So why should it be the unskilled American worker /consumer ""responsibility to buy any American products or anything with the "MADE IN USA "label on it"?:peace

[h=1]
So why should it be the unskilled American worker /consumer ""responsibility to buy any American products or anything with the "MADE IN USA "label on it"?:peace[/FONT][/COLOR]

It isn't.

[h=1]Made in the USA: Journey behind the label[/h]By Rick Klein, Olivier Knox, Richard Coolidge, and Jordyn Phelps | Power Players – 3 hrs ago
After a manufacturing plant closed down in his hometown of Ravenswood, W.Va., resulting in 650 people losing their jobs, Josh Miller began to wonder what was really made in America anymore.

He decided to set out on a 30-day road trip across the United States in search of answers for how to revive American manufacturing - all the while trying to survive on only goods and products stamped with “Made in USA.”
“I really thought that I could take this opportunity to give the Made in America movement and these folks a voice,” said Miller, who documented his trip in a film, “Made in the USA: The 30 Day Journey.”
Miller told Top Line that the Made in America movement isn’t so much about trying to get people to buy only American-made products that might be more expensive than foreign-made ones, but it’s about finding solutions to lower the prices of American-made products.
“I think there are a lot of policies that we can push to help allow our businesses here in America to help reduce costs and lower the prices,” Miller said. “We need to put policies in place that allow us to outcompete the world, and that's what this film was about.”
While Miller hopes that Congress and the president will act to help American businesses become more competitive, his producer, Ron Newcomb, added that they also want to see less government regulation.
“They need to also get out of the way, if you will, and let Americans to do what they do best, thrive in a business environment,” Newcomb said, referring to the federal government.
But perhaps the most effective and immediate solution to create more manufacturing jobs in the United States, Miller and Newcomb said, is for the American consumer to demand it.
“It's a business aspect too,” Miller said. “If the consumers create that demand, the businesses will meet that demand. Request it, demand it, and it will come back and jobs will come back.”

My question would be which bailed first the demand for American products or the outsourcing of American jobs?

For it has been stated by American big business and American corporations and supporters of big business and corporations "it is not their responsibility to furnish or create jobs for unskilled American workers"

So why should it be the unskilled American worker /consumer ""responsibility to buy any American products or anything with the "MADE IN USA "label on it"?:peace

It is the responsibility of the American Consumer to tell big business (and small) that they want American Made goods. Get over cheap and flimsy, be willing to forgo the "I want it cheap and now" thought process, and pay a little more that helps support industry here.

It is the responsibility of the American Consumer to tell big business (and small) that they want American Made goods. Get over cheap and flimsy, be willing to forgo the "I want it cheap and now" thought process, and pay a little more that helps support industry here.

To pay a little more to help support the industry here, there would have to be more on the paycheck and more jobs that get paychecks.

Today you buy foreign it's made by foreign cheap labor, or as you say cheap and flimsy
You buy American it's made by foreign cheap labor, who's to say they are not cheap and flimsy?:peace

"USA" is simply the name of a small manufacturing town in China.

I've heard that.
So what's America to do get more exports name a town in America Bejing?lol:peace

To pay a little more to help support the industry here, there would have to be more on the paycheck and more jobs that get paychecks.

Today you buy foreign it's made by foreign cheap labor, or as you say cheap and flimsy
You buy American it's made by foreign cheap labor, who's to say they are not cheap and flimsy?:peace

No, there doesn't have to be 'more in the paycheck', that would come later as industry and wages rise of their own accord.

Instead of getting two pairs of pants, you get one, hopefully better made.
Instead of getting two shirts, you get one, hopefully better made.

I've done it. And I've also made my own clothes at times, from American woven fabrics. Unfortunately, that industry has gone overseas also.

Researching your sources is quite easy....

No, there doesn't have to be 'more in the paycheck', that would come later as industry and wages rise of their own accord.

Instead of getting two pairs of pants, you get one, hopefully better made.
Instead of getting two shirts, you get one, hopefully better made.

I've done it. And I've also made my own clothes at times, from American woven fabrics. Unfortunately, that industry has gone overseas also.

Researching your sources is quite easy....

After all the jobs lost and homes foreclosed on, after all the waiting after the bailouts, after all the unemployed vets coming home, after all the unemployment in College grads facing a big student loan.

After all that I would think the unemployed , poor, working poor lower middle class would want more money in the paycheck , and more jobs first or there's going to be a lot more corporations filing bankrups... ....sorry they don't call it that anymore they call it chapter 7 or chapter 11.
I call it what it is red ink dire straights.:peace

Or where the label itself was made. :mrgreen:

A good question you could call and ask . of course you do speak more than one language . lol:peace

After all the jobs lost and homes foreclosed on, after all the waiting after the bailouts, after all the unemployed vets coming home, after all the unemployment in College grads facing a big student loan.

After all that I would think the unemployed , poor, working poor lower middle class would want more money in the paycheck , and more jobs first or there's going to be a lot more corporations filing bankrups... ....sorry they don't call it that anymore they call it chapter 7 or chapter 11.
I call it what it is red ink dire straights.:peace

We could play the chicken/egg game all week, but the bottom line is until companies realize that the cheap foreign import goods aren't what the American people want anymore, that's the way it's going to stay.

Write your favorite companies, tell them you want 100% American made. Research it on the internet, see who sells what you want. I stopped buying from one purveyor, because every single item in their catalog said 'imported'. It doesn't cost you anything.... and may force the changes that will help industries revive here in the US.

Increasing people's paychecks doesn't guarantee they will spend it on American made goods, which kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

I've heard that.
So what's America to do get more exports name a town in America Bejing?lol:peace

Devalue the American dollar and we are well on our way down that path

There are no two ways about it. Lower your cost and increase your productivity.

Is it realistic to expect American products in every area?

We have pollution issues that pretty much eliminated vinyl and plastic manufacturing as long as 50 years ago. There's no economic reality in expecting American toys, clothing, housewares and the like.

We manufacture plenty here. We make trucks, construction equipment, airplanes, medications and other higher priced products. Bemoaning the loss of the 99¢ store items just isn't useful.

Even in larger ticket items we have competition. In just the last year or so, they make an American car I would be happy with. But in 2007 when I bought my 2008 Scion Xb, there were no similar vehicles made in USA. Fortunately, I don't need a plane but if I did, I'd have to determine if Airbus or Boeing made the better product for my needs.

As 3D printing goes mainstream, our choices may increase. I will pay a little more to buy American and 'll pay even more if its the better product. However, even these new choices will be produced by automation, not by factories with thousands of workers.

(the robots are coming!)

We have pollution issues that pretty much eliminated vinyl and plastic manufacturing as long as 50 years ago. There's no economic reality in expecting American toys, clothing, housewares and the like.

We manufacture plenty here. We make trucks, construction equipment, airplanes, medications and other higher priced products. Bemoaning the loss of the 99¢ store items just isn't useful.

Even in larger ticket items we have competition. In just the last year or so, they make an American car I would be happy with. But in 2007 when I bought my 2008 Scion Xb, there were no similar vehicles made in USA. Fortunately, I don't need a plane but if I did, I'd have to determine if Airbus or Boeing made the better product for my needs.

As 3D printing goes mainstream, our choices may increase. I will pay a little more to buy American and 'll pay even more if its the better product. However, even these new choices will be produced by automation, not by factories with thousands of workers.
(the robots are coming!)

I have found American made clothing, and quite often it is well made. For that, I'm willing to pay a reasonable premium. The cotton to weave the fabric was also American grown ;)

Even if the factories don't employ thousands, the return of the industries, a couple of hundred jobs on the floor, plus admin and engineering will eventually add up.

Even the robots will need maintenance!

Well, especially the robots.

That's why if you go to school and study something useful (like engineering or robotics), you will easily find well paying work. Robots need design, supervision, maintenance etc. What the robots make must be designed and marketed.

New factories open every day in America. Some production moves overseas every day. It's that Global economy thingy.

I have found American made clothing, and quite often it is well made. For that, I'm willing to pay a reasonable premium. The cotton to weave the fabric was also American grown ;)

Even if the factories don't employ thousands, the return of the industries, a couple of hundred jobs on the floor, plus admin and engineering will eventually add up.

Even the robots will need maintenance!

Well, especially the robots.

That's why if you go to school and study something useful (like engineering or robotics), you will easily find well paying work. Robots need design, supervision, maintenance etc. What the robots make must be designed and marketed.

New factories open every day in America. Some production moves overseas every day. It's that Global economy thingy.

I'm a wee bit past that 'go to school and study something useful' for robotics. But it should be a good tip for those setting out on the education paths. That and the medical field, since we will be in such dire need.

It's the ones moving overseas that I'd like to see stay. But the demand for cheap and flimsy won't stop until the consumer makes a real choice on the matter.

I did not intend my comment to be addressed to you as an individual. Just general pontification. Lot of young 'uns here starting out. I'm so glad my son took computer science instad of horticulture or english lit:)

Medicine is risky since I guess (KEY WORD) that medicine will be socialized over the next 20-30 years.

I'm a wee bit past that 'go to school and study something useful' for robotics. But it should be a good tip for those setting out on the education paths. That and the medical field, since we will be in such dire need.

It's the ones moving overseas that I'd like to see stay. But the demand for cheap and flimsy won't stop until the consumer makes a real choice on the matter.

We could play the chicken/egg game all week, but the bottom line is until companies realize that the cheap foreign import goods aren't what the American people want anymore, that's the way it's going to stay.

Write your favorite companies, tell them you want 100% American made. Research it on the internet, see who sells what you want. I stopped buying from one purveyor, because every single item in their catalog said 'imported'. It doesn't cost you anything.... and may force the changes that will help industries revive here in the US.

Increasing people's paychecks doesn't guarantee they will spend it on American made goods, which kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Just a small example of the double talk from corporations,

Corporations said they outsourced manufacturing jobs so American consumers would have a lower price to pay.

10 COOL CARS UNDER THE PRICE OF 18, 000
7 WERE FOREIGN MADE.
Where's the lower prices American and foreign nations are using cheap foreign labor.

Two business hire the most American in America
Walmart made Forbe's magazine of course 75 % of their products have foreign made labels but just how many people shop at Walmart.
Every Walmart store in America has a waiting list quite long to be hired and Walmart hires over 60% part time help.

Fast food gas stations ,
Gas station , well we know where the oil comes from to make the gas right?
Fast food one step above janitorial work.

There is no chicken and egg here corporations bailed on the American worker, but they forgot one small detail the American worker is also the American consumer.

And like corporations say "corporations are not obligated to furnish or create jobs for American workers."
American workers are saying "American workers are not obligated to purchase any American label at any store or investigate in any American industry":peace

Devalue the American dollar and we are well on our way down that path

That would be bad news for China we owe them money.:peace

There are no two ways about it. Lower your cost and increase your productivity.

no paychecks for American worker, no sale for American products.:peace

Just a small example of the double talk from corporations,

Corporations said they outsourced manufacturing jobs so American consumers would have a lower price to pay.

10 COOL CARS UNDER THE PRICE OF 18, 000
7 WERE FOREIGN MADE.
Where's the lower prices American and foreign nations are using cheap foreign labor.

Two business hire the most American in America
Walmart made Forbe's magazine of course 75 % of their products have foreign made labels but just how many people shop at Walmart.
Every Walmart store in America has a waiting list quite long to be hired and Walmart hires over 60% part time help.

Fast food gas stations ,
Gas station , well we know where the oil comes from to make the gas right?
Fast food one step above janitorial work.

There is no chicken and egg here corporations bailed on the American worker, but they forgot one small detail the American worker is also the American consumer.

And like corporations say "corporations are not obligated to furnish or create jobs for American workers."
American workers are saying "American workers are not obligated to purchase any American label at any store or investigate in any American industry":peace

Ah, but it is the chicken/egg conundrum... pressure to get lower prices push business off shore/business go offshore to get better labor costs....... one fed the other.

And as I said before, it won't change until the consumer forces them to.

(the robots are coming!)

Been to Michigan lately , there's not a lot of manufacturing up here..
Outsourcing not only hit the big factories where the unions were but also the small town factories with no union and a wage a hair above minimum wage.

II worked in 3 factories in my small town all got outsourced no unions no high wage, I was working plastic injection molding in 98 that's hardly 50 yrs ago.

Besides manufacturing is not just the big factories in Detroit and Flint and Ann Arbor, it's the little non union factories that made the parts for cars in small towns that's where the real tax money of Michigan came from.

What American product are you going to buy Chrysler.. or should I say Fiat cell phone far eastern made.

Corporations left the American worker so where's the American products?

GMC still financial trouble
Chrysler Fiats moving in.
Ford a glimmring hope and fading

TV's well think Sanyo, Sony Samsung
Cellphones do they even have a factory to make cellphones anywhere in America.

Looking for American made products in America today is like looking for an honest man in politics.:peace

no paychecks for American worker, no sale for American products.:peace

I have always admired American quality but I don't need that level of quality at premium price.

Back
Top Bottom