• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

IS THE LABEL "MADE IN USA" really true?

Ah, but it is the chicken/egg conundrum... pressure to get lower prices push business off shore/business go offshore to get better labor costs....... one fed the other.

And as I said before, it won't change until the consumer forces them to.

One word for ya BAILOUITS.

If that doesn't get your attention maybe this will a question.

How many American industries are still under chapter 7 and 11, and how many are considering it.

Foreign retail sales are higher than American retail sales
Foreign imports are higher than American exports
America does have foreign nations beat in one area they owe more IOU'S than most countries , they have more debt than most countries

This is not good business especially since America has less tax revenue since the outsourcing increased and more out going plus trade deficits in a free trade market.

Lets face it American corporations are slowly but suely getting beat by foreign products in the retail sales department :peace

I have always admired American quality but I don't need that level of quality at premium price.

If there were more job opprtuities and a decent wage I would not mind paying more.

American workers wage has never been even with the cost of living anyway the closest was in the 50's but the gap was still wide.

It has grown wider over the years but never this bad, at least not in my lifetime.

However today to watch more outsourcing and to watch the cost of ling inch it's way higher yet is just asking for trouble.:peace

If there were more job opprtuities and a decent wage I would not mind paying more.

American workers wage has never been even with the cost of living anyway the closest was in the 50's but the gap was still wide.

It has grown wider over the years but never this bad, at least not in my lifetime.

However today to watch more outsourcing and to watch the cost of ling inch it's way higher yet is just asking for trouble.:peace

We have gone through this decades ago. Today one out of three people here are foreigners from third world countries. They man the production lines as well as engineering, construction, customer service etc. Cost has been lowered and the citizens enjoy a higher standard of living.

One word for ya BAILOUITS.

If that doesn't get your attention maybe this will a question.

How many American industries are still under chapter 7 and 11, and how many are considering it.

Foreign retail sales are higher than American retail sales
Foreign imports are higher than American exports
America does have foreign nations beat in one area they owe more IOU'S than most countries , they have more debt than most countries

This is not good business especially since America has less tax revenue since the outsourcing increased and more out going plus trade deficits in a free trade market.

Lets face it American corporations are slowly but suely getting beat by foreign products in the retail sales department :peace

I think you and I are discussing the subject from opposite sides, but agree on the middle. :wink:

We have gone through this decades ago. Today one out of three people here are foreigners from third world countries. They man the production lines as well as engineering, construction, customer service etc. Cost has been lowered and the citizens enjoy a higher standard of living.

True outsourcing is no new it dates back as far as 1960 what is new is 15= trillion in debt, borrowing from the Chinese 93 million + trade deficits in America on a free trade system.
What is new is the wealth of America in control of so few at the top.

As far as cost being lowered, good cars 18000 and lower 7 out of 10 are foreign made., that ain't exactly lowering the prices to keep up with foreign cars is it?
You speak of foreigners in America for every paycheck they get taxes taken out , in America you must have a SS card and W2 form to work , now you can call that unfair or unionized government but their IRS see's it a different way.
To work without an SS card or Visa card or W2 form or to falsify any of these would be fraud and that is against the law, is it not?:peace

Last edited:
I think you and I are discussing the subject from opposite sides, but agree on the middle. :wink:

If you agree that tax revenue comes from American workers paychecks, skilled or unskilled workers, and there should be more American workers skilled and unskilled to pay off the IOUS to foreign nations , and to pay down the debt yes we agree..

TAXES IS MONEY IT DOES NOT MATTER IF IT COMES FROM A SKILLED WORKERS PAYCHECK OR UNSKILLED WORKERS PAYCHECK IT GOES TO GOVERNMENT IF THE POLITICIANS DON'T START TO PAY OFF THE IOU'S OR PAY DOWN THE DEBT THEY CAN LOOK FOR ANOTHER ZIP CODE..:peace

If you agree that tax revenue comes from American workers paychecks, skilled or unskilled workers, and there should be more American workers skilled and unskilled to pay off the IOUS to foreign nations , and to pay down the debt yes we agree..
One caveat... we don't currently need more workers, we need to get our EXISTING workers, back to work. And my biggest concern is not the tax revenue, it's putting people back to work and regaining the industries we've lost.

TAXES IS MONEY IT DOES NOT MATTER IF IT COMES FROM A SKILLED WORKERS PAYCHECK OR UNSKILLED WORKERS PAYCHECK IT GOES TO GOVERNMENT IF THE POLITICIANS DON'T START TO PAY OFF THE IOU'S OR PAY DOWN THE DEBT THEY CAN LOOK FOR ANOTHER ZIP CODE..:peace
I'd love to see the debt paid down, but, it's not the number #1 priority, IMO.... see above. :)

One caveat... we don't currently need more workers, we need to get our EXISTING workers, back to work. And my biggest concern is not the tax revenue, it's putting people back to work and regaining the industries we've lost.

I'd love to see the debt paid down, but, it's not the number #1 priority, IMO.... see above. :)

Without jobs, workers do not work, without a decent wage,,tax revenue will not be paid ,but refunded to the taxpayer according to the IRS:peace

Define "decent wage', please.

I'd say when a person makes enough money that at tax time they are paying income taxes to the IRS instead of getting a check from the IRS.

Which I "an unskilled worker " have done on more than one occasion, many other unskilled workers have paid income taxes to the IRS as well.

The IRS determines if you made enough money to pay income taxes or get a refund, that is unless you are a millionaire or Billionaire then there's the tax loopholes.:peace

I'd say when a person makes enough money that at tax time they are paying income taxes to the IRS instead of getting a check from the IRS.

Which I "an unskilled worker " have done on more than one occasion, many other unskilled workers have paid income taxes to the IRS as well.

The IRS determines if you made enough money to pay income taxes or get a refund, that is unless you are a millionaire or Billionaire then there's the tax loopholes.:peace

Skilled or unskilled doesn't determine your taxability, your income minus deductions does. AKA, your AGI......

There are many 'unskilled workers' who make taxable income, just as some 'skilled' workers who don't. It's all in how you apply yourself.

Made in the USA: Journey behind the label

By Rick Klein, Olivier Knox, Richard Coolidge, and Jordyn Phelps | Power Players – 3 hrs ago
After a manufacturing plant closed down in his hometown of Ravenswood, W.Va., resulting in 650 people losing their jobs, Josh Miller began to wonder what was really made in America anymore.

He decided to set out on a 30-day road trip across the United States in search of answers for how to revive American manufacturing - all the while trying to survive on only goods and products stamped with “Made in USA.”
“I really thought that I could take this opportunity to give the Made in America movement and these folks a voice,” said Miller, who documented his trip in a film, “Made in the USA: The 30 Day Journey.”
Miller told Top Line that the Made in America movement isn’t so much about trying to get people to buy only American-made products that might be more expensive than foreign-made ones, but it’s about finding solutions to lower the prices of American-made products.
“I think there are a lot of policies that we can push to help allow our businesses here in America to help reduce costs and lower the prices,” Miller said. “We need to put policies in place that allow us to outcompete the world, and that's what this film was about.”
While Miller hopes that Congress and the president will act to help American businesses become more competitive, his producer, Ron Newcomb, added that they also want to see less government regulation.
“They need to also get out of the way, if you will, and let Americans to do what they do best, thrive in a business environment,” Newcomb said, referring to the federal government.
But perhaps the most effective and immediate solution to create more manufacturing jobs in the United States, Miller and Newcomb said, is for the American consumer to demand it.
“It's a business aspect too,” Miller said. “If the consumers create that demand, the businesses will meet that demand. Request it, demand it, and it will come back and jobs will come back.”

My question would be which bailed first the demand for American products or the outsourcing of American jobs?

For it has been stated by American big business and American corporations and supporters of big business and corporations "it is not their responsibility to furnish or create jobs for unskilled American workers"

So why should it be the unskilled American worker /consumer ""responsibility to buy any American products or anything with the "MADE IN USA "label on it"?:peace
Regulations and legal liabilities is what most shut down American manufacturing.

Skilled or unskilled doesn't determine your taxability, your income minus deductions does. AKA, your AGI......

There are many 'unskilled workers' who make taxable income, just as some 'skilled' workers who don't. It's all in how you apply yourself.

All I know is there was a lot more tax revenue going into the IRS when manufacturing and other jobs were still here.
There's a lot less tax revenue being paid today.:peace

Regulations and legal liabilities is what most shut down American manufacturing.

Greed and outsourcing is what shut down American manufacturing.

However if corporations want to lose workers that's business , but remember they also lose consumers that's business too.:peace

Back
Top Bottom