• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the Iowa Governor above the law?

Well from what I read, the Governor wasn't driving, a State Trooper was. The vehicle was also carrying both the Governor and the Lieutenant Governor, Head and second in command of Iowa's Executive branch. Rank hath it's privileges. LOL

I guess this guy Hedlund isn't a member of the Governor's political party. ;)

Last edited:
I think this has come up in other states when the troopers are the drivers. Silly issue as far as I am concerned. Care to guess how many days I went 80+ on the DC beltway when I lived in that area? Answer is everyday I was on the DC beltway because everybody does it. Going fast on a highway is just how the world works now--true in DC, true in Iowa, true everywhere.

I think this has come up in other states when the troopers are the drivers. Silly issue as far as I am concerned. Care to guess how many days I went 80+ on the DC beltway when I lived in that area? Answer is everyday I was on the DC beltway because everybody does it. Going fast on a highway is just how the world works now--true in DC, true in Iowa, true everywhere.

1) Still illegal, as evidenced by attracting attention to begin with,
2) Many people do, in fact, get cited for this, just not everybody,
3) The fact that he was weaving in and out of traffic suggests that he was not merely going with the flow of traffic.

Defense denied.

1) Still illegal, as evidenced by attracting attention to begin with,
2) Many people do, in fact, get cited for this, just not everybody,
3) The fact that he was weaving in and out of traffic suggests that he was not merely going with the flow of traffic.

Defense denied.

The Governor can pardon his driver. Judge overruled. Case Closed.

A bunch of nothing. The number of cars going 90 are in the hundreds of thousands at any time.

Americans have become a bunch of whiny pansies lamenting and raging "dangerous! dangerous!" at anything.

The driver was a state trooper. If state troopers can't safely drive 90 then all police departments should put 70 mph speed limiters in their car.

Plus the lying aspect of the article claiming 3 police cars were in pursuit of a car going 90. That isn't a pursuit at all.

The cop who decided to get his name in the press screwed up because he was using his state vehicle for private usage on a holiday - so he got popped. Idiot blinded by wanting to see his name in the press at all costs.

A bunch of nothing. The number of cars going 90 are in the hundreds of thousands at any time.

Americans have become a bunch of whiny pansies lamenting and raging "dangerous! dangerous!" at anything.

The driver was a state trooper. If state troopers can't safely drive 90 then all police departments should put 70 mph speed limiters in their car.

Plus the lying aspect of the article claiming 3 police cars were in pursuit of a car going 90. That isn't a pursuit at all.

The cop who decided to get his name in the press screwed up because he was using his state vehicle for private usage on a holiday - so he got popped. Idiot blinded by wanting to see his name in the press at all costs.

For this post to be anything less than hypocritical, you are saying that NOBODY... police or not... should ever be cited for speeding like this.

Agent complained that speeding incident involving Iowa governor was safety risk

APNewsBreak: Agent complained that speeding incident involving Iowa governor was safety risk - The Washington Post

ETA: Governor's driver, technically, but still...

If I'm not mistaken, didn't a State Trooper in New Jersey almost kill then Governor Corzine back about 5 years ago because he was driving too fast?

These big SUV tanks aren't the safest vehicles on the road at high speeds and if I was the Governor of Iowa I'd be asking the trooper to take it easy and get me there alive.

For this post to be anything less than hypocritical, you are saying that NOBODY... police or not... should ever be cited for speeding like this.

Naw, it's just nothing. Trivial.

I don't think that driving 90 is an inherent public danger. I've driven that speed and above and would do it regularly if I could do it without fear of an expensive ticket.

My issue is the fact that these politicians are the ones who impose these speed limits on us and the police are the ones who enforce them. I don't think its too much to ask for them to live under the same regulations they impose upon the rest of us. If they think driving 90 MPH is perfectly safe, maybe they should change the speed limit.

Update: This past Friday the state trooper who was driving the Governor was issued a speeding ticket for 19 over (84 in a 65). The fine was $181.

It has been noted that he was conveniently written up for 84 even though he was clocked going faster because 20 over would/could trigger an automatic license suspension. This particular aspect does not bother me, though, because I have often been written up for less than I was actually driving so I could get a lesser penalty, and similar treatment to what an average citizen like me would get is all I ask.

It was reported in yesterday's local news that the guy who eventually got fired over this, the one who caused the whole brouhaha, paid the other guy's fine for him. The news cast did not say, why, just that he did.

Back
Top Bottom