• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the fat acceptance movement good for society?

Thoughts?

• Yes, it's good for society and isn't hurting young people.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • It's good and bad.

Votes: 18 29.0%
  • It's bad for society. We shouldn't teach young people to be happy with obesity.

Votes: 33 53.2%
  • Other

Votes: 7 11.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dex4974

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Communist
The United States and other developed countries have obesity rates that are increasing at an alarming speed. Is fat acceptance teaching young people that it's okay to not control your eating habits? Is it teaching young people that it's okay to be undisciplined? We teach young people that it's bad to smoke because it's unhealthy and can hurt them. Is the same not true of obesity?

In my view respecting and loving yourself means taking care of your body and keeping it healthy. It means having disciplined behavior.

Last edited:
The United States and other developed countries have obesity rates that are increasing at an alarming speed. Is fat acceptance teaching young people that it's okay to not control your eating habits? Is it teaching young people that it's okay to be undisciplined? We teach young people that it's bad to smoke because it's unhealthy and can hurt them. Is the same not true of obesity?

In my view respecting and loving yourself means taking care of your body and keeping it healthy. It means having disciplined behavior.

Maybe if we had more smokers, we would have fewer fat people :fueltofir

You know nothing about what parents teach their children.

You know nothing about what parents teach their children.

I know about what fat activism is teaching children.

The "fat positive" movement is one of many symptoms of a decaying society.

Overweight does not necessarily mean unhealthy. Nor does it mean lazy or ugly. So those parts of fat acceptance I agree with.

But Everything else being equal, being overweight is more likely to cause health issues and does necessarily put more strain on the body. For some people that extra strain is insignificant, for some it’s dangerous.

The "fat positive" movement is one of many symptoms of a decaying society.

Do you have examples of "decayed societies" that were known to be "fat positive" ? Or is this just your assumption?

Overweight does not necessarily mean unhealthy. Nor does it mean lazy or ugly. So those parts of fat acceptance I agree with.

But Everything else being equal, being overweight is more likely to cause health issues and does necessarily put more strain on the body. For some people that extra strain is insignificant, for some it’s dangerous.

Aging does not necessarily mean unhealthy either, but was deemed acceptable for use as a pre-existing condition (to increase premiums by up to 300%) under PPACA.

Having health problems is incentive enough to not want to be fat, people don't need your judgement on top of that. I feel like discussions about these issue should remain between doctors, and close family and friends. A random person should not go up to an overweight person and comment on their health since they don't understand their situation or whether saying something will do more harm than good.

Having health problems is incentive enough to not want to be fat, people don't need your judgement on top of that. I feel like discussions about these issue should remain between doctors, and close family and friends. A random person should not go up to an overweight person and comment on their health since they don't understand their situation or whether saying something will do more harm than good.

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the new social movement that is encouraging people to be content with obesity. It tells people they don't need to change.

That's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the new social movement that is encouraging people to be content with obesity. It tells people they don't need to change.

Yeah, I guess I misunderstood the poll. People should be non-judgmental of these things, but they should not encourage it either. It's a very sensitive subject, so I would approach it indirectly by promoting a healthy diet and exercise. If anyone actively discourages someone from those things, then they're giving out bad advice and need to stop.

I know about what fat activism is teaching children.

Much ado about nothing.
Parents are the primary learning source for their kids, not YouTube.
Further proof that you are clueless about raising kids.

Is the fat acceptance movement good for society?.

what does "fat acceptance" mean?

For example, if you do not accept "fat" people do you mean you then ridicule them or even throw stones at them?

I don't understand.

A comment about the condition of the people Ive seen inside and outside Trump rallies. Just a handful of them make a yuge crowd.

Only a movement to you, which constitutes nothing to the rest of us.

Much ado about nothing.
Parents are the primary learning source for their kids, not YouTube.
Further proof that you are clueless about raising kids.

You are clueless if you think outside forces don't also shape the perspective of your children.

It’s always people without weight problems giving advice to those that do. I just shut up and work on designing a pool to bet on when aunt Jody is going tp “pop” and fat goes flying all over the place.

They know they are fat. They know they cheat on meals (I.E. four tacos on the way home to cook dinner). They get it. You need to convince them to change. Good luck with that. Maybe you are being too critical.

Does that also apply to Fat Donnie?

main-qimg-97eda6d6a6c0d95e49de0bd710f7b295.jpg

Obesity is the biggest problem in this country today. It leads to more health problems than can be counted. We all are paying for this in our healthcare costs. They are also highly annoying. Getting trapped next to some lard butt on an airplane or at a sports stadium is miserable.

People who allow their child to get to a stage where they are obese should be charged with child abuse. They are doing irreparable harm to their child. It is their job to make sure their child has a healthy diet and get enough exercise. It is not that difficult to turn off the TV, take away the chips and toss their butts outside. However, many are to lazy or ignorant to raise children. The same holds true for obese adults. They need to spend less time on the couch and more at the gym.

It is not surprising that some lard butts think others need to accept their faults. However, the cigarette comparison is a good one. Both are ugly correctable habits and others are paying the costs.

i don't care much one way or the other about it. however, i will point out that being significantly overweight increases the chances that the US healthcare system will have a backdoor into your wallet. medicines designed to treat long term conditions that develop due to obesity are very expensive. it's definitely a goal of mine not to have to empty my wallet into the healthcare system. i was prediabetic decades ago, which is part of why i lost a whole ****load of weight.

Do you have examples of "decayed societies" that were known to be "fat positive" ? Or is this just your assumption?

Every civilization starts to accept decadence as it approaches its end. I don't know whether this particular item is an exact repetition of the past.

Every civilization starts to accept decadence as it approaches its end. I don't know whether this particular item is an exact repetition of the past.

Hmm. Interesting. Please provide examples. The Persians? The Incan? The Egyptians? The Mayan, perhaps?
How about the Mesopotamians ?? What examples of them starting to "accept decadence" do you think exists?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom