• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the FAT ACCEPTANCE movement a liberal or leftist associated movement?

ProgressiveCON

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Well? Are these obese women demanding people to check their “thin privilege” a SJW movement?

Well? Are these obese women demanding people to check their “thin privilege” a SJW movement?

Liberal no, leftist yes.

Is RANDOM CAPITALIZATION a right wing conspiracy?

What makes you think this person is a right winger? Is it your unending need to be presumptuous?

Are you asking because you care deeply about the stigma and disparity these people face, and want to ensure that you're not just another douchebag making people's lives harder than they already are?

If so, I applaud you. :)

Are you asking because you care deeply about the stigma and disparity these people face, and want to ensure that you're not just another douchebag making people's lives harder than they already are?

If so, I applaud you. :)

The difference is that accepting that fat people aren't bad is fine. However teaching people that being obese is beautiful and healthy is wrong.

The difference is that accepting that fat people aren't bad is fine. However teaching people that being obese is beautiful and healthy is wrong.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Or more to the point cultural in nature and some cultures and people do find fat people attractive

Says you...I know some guys that love big ladies. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and healthy is a conversation between an individual and their doctor - usually consisting of things like "You're unhealthy because your blood pressure is x, or you blood tests show y". Not "that bitch too thick, yo". I'm not sure you're qualified to pass judgement. :shrug:

I had no idea. But you are late to the party. Bob Fass, DJ for WBAI in NYC, held a FatPower Rally at Sheep Meadow in Central Park more than 50 years ago. You needn't be fat to come, just to think fat for the occasion and bring food to share. Lots of skinny people showed up with good food. Bob is still on the air 2-3 midnight shows per week on WBAI, dependent upon how he feels at the moment. Among his former guests, Frank Zappa, David Bowie, Dick Nixon (who was great fun), Mayor Ed Beame, Governor Carey, Keith Richards (sober), Patty Smith, Red Fox, Barry White, Elvin Bishop, Cher, a Cher imitator, Jean Paul Belmondo, Wilson Pickett, Russel Crowe (drunk), David Byrne, Lou Reed, Mary Jane Parker, Bella Abzug (who spoke about making chicken soup with knaedlach), Arnold Schwarzenberger (who spoke about making chicken soup with knaedlach), Lou Ferrigno, Davis Crosby, Melissa Etheridge, Bruce Springsteen, Johnny Carson, and many others, including Harry the cabdriver, and Ella the hot pretzel lady.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Or more to the point cultural in nature and some cultures and people do find fat people attractive

No, that's true. But generally being fat or obese has a lot of health problems.

Meh, I'm over weight.. for now, I have been terribly ashamed of it, and had surgery to correct my issue because it was beyond my ability to rectify through normal avenues. I failed to maintain my weight and that created a cascade effect that adversely affected my health. Unless the issue is something they CANNOT fix, yes you should be ashamed. Yes you DO need to take possibly drastic action to fix your situation.

What makes you think this person is a right winger? Is it your unending need to be presumptuous?

So the point went totally and completely over your head....

Marketing for fashion has it figured out.

Fat Acceptance:
w4yjcy2x7zclqkoky24f.jpg

Slim and Lean:
skinny-1024x638.jpg

I think there's most definitely an inherent health danger in "normalizing" and excusing obesity.

What general side do most who condemn "fat-shaming" come down on? I suppose on the same side as most who condemn "-shaming" of any other kind, but that's just supposition.

the worst thing about fat women are their fattitudes!

Do those cultures pay for all the "ailments" fat people encounter, especially when they're unable to work because their "fatness" has rendered them too sick to work?!?

Did not intend insult. I just answered to question. And you guys call the left snowflakes.

Well some of them are. There are some people on my side that are snowflakes. I'll admit that.

Says you...I know some guys that love big ladies. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and healthy is a conversation between an individual and their doctor - usually consisting of things like "You're unhealthy because your blood pressure is x, or you blood tests show y". Not "that bitch too thick, yo". I'm not sure you're qualified to pass judgement. :shrug:

People should not bully or belittle people for their weight, or any other reason. Period. End of story. Some people find overweight people attractive; many others do not. It takes all kinds to make a world.

That having been said, obesity is linked to so many severely debilitating health issues that to venerate it as a new beauty standard can and I think should rightfully be met with just as much severe criticism as we level against the fashion industry for encouraging bulimia nervosa or anorexia nervosa in both its models and those who consume their work.

What about fat men? Just curious.

Never experienced fat man fattitudes. They aren't trying to compete or compare themselves to thinner women. I have dealt with fat women hate as long as I have been alive. It's not like smaller women are doing something larger women can't do, why hate someone because they aren't as fat?

Never experienced fat man fattitudes. They aren't trying to compete or compare themselves to thinner women. I have dealt with fat women hate as long as I have been alive. It's not like smaller women are doing something larger women can't do, why hate someone because they aren't as fat?

Fat people roll down hill faster.

I've never been fat. At age 68 I'm still a size 6. I've never experienced any hostility from fat women. Some envy, but no hostility.

Back
Top Bottom