• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the FAT ACCEPTANCE movement a liberal or leftist associated movement?

People should not bully or belittle people for their weight, or any other reason. Period. End of story. Some people find overweight people attractive; many others do not. It takes all kinds to make a world.

That having been said, obesity is linked to so many severely debilitating health issues that to venerate it as a new beauty standard can and I think should rightfully be met with just as much severe criticism as we level against the fashion industry for encouraging bulimia nervosa or anorexia nervosa in both its models and those who consume their work.

I agree about not "venerating" fatness any more than it's a good thing to "venerate" thinness. The problem comes when people judge and shame others based on their weight.

People should not bully or belittle people for their weight, or any other reason. Period. End of story. Some people find overweight people attractive; many others do not. It takes all kinds to make a world.

That having been said, obesity is linked to so many severely debilitating health issues that to venerate it as a new beauty standard can and I think should rightfully be met with just as much severe criticism as we level against the fashion industry for encouraging bulimia nervosa or anorexia nervosa in both its models and those who consume their work.

Acceptance of unhealthy overweight is not good. Also, Fatsion is fugly.

i claim to be a mostly nice guy who doesn't mind helping girl friends raise their metabolism, one to three hours at a time.

*coughs* nearby people hear bull-****!

Or, leave people alone and let them work it out for themselves with their doctor. We will truly be a civilized species when people learn to mind their own damn business and let people be who they are.

No one is glorifying being unhealthy, they are trying to create an environment where people are not hating themselves because of their body. You would be amazed at how much easier it is to recover from either anorexia OR obesity, when you start out feeling good about yourself as a human being. A lot of the time folks who get themselves into either of these situations do so because they don't feel great about themselves. Either that, or it's genetics. Do you think, in either case, shaming them is going to make it easier?

Fat acceptance is no different to other unhealthy or dangerous behaviours that society encourages. Alcohol acceptance is a far bigger problem, but you don't hear anyone complaining men shouldn't go drink beer with their friends (except their wives).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-rJE4xwK0Y

Award winning Fat activist Virgie Tovar discussing thin privilege and cake eating.

You didn’t answer my question. Your choice.

So why does a YouTube video cause you so much distress?

You didn’t answer my question. Your choice.

So why does a YouTube video cause you so much distress?

Why does it cause me distress? I was just asking if the movement is associated with liberalism or the left.

Some people are overweight because of reasons beyond their control.

They should, of course, be treated with respect.

But it is agreed that most overweight people should consider reducing.

Most experts seem to agree that being overweight is not healthful.

Former First Lady M. Obama was right to urge children to eat healthy.

We should help relatives and friends who want to reduce. We should do so in a loving manner.

(By the way, being too thin is equally unhealthful, according to many experts. The saying that "one can never be too rich or too thin" may not be accurate.)

Why does it cause me distress? I was just asking if the movement is associated with liberalism or the left.

Bleeding hearts often push causes for “the good”, but trying to save all the puppies and kittens in the world is doomed to failure. Smarter to help prevent less puppies and kittens through neutering, requiring a license for breeding and public contraceptive medication for feral cats and dogs.

In this case, it would be better to foster a healthier outlook on life including diet and exercise rather than just pushing for acceptance of people who grossly overeat, alcoholics, gamblers and the like.

Back
Top Bottom