• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is The Expesnsive Salmon In the Store Worth The Price Over The Lower Priced Salmon?

rhinefire

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Looking at $17.00/lb. for the top shelve salmon is it really that much better than the lower priced salmon?

Re: Is The Expesnsive Salmon In the Store Worth The Price Over The Lower Priced Salmo

So pretty much, you'd be talking about the difference between wild caught and farm raised salmon. The wild caught stuff does tend to be rather expensive, but the quality difference is also noticeable. Additionally, wild caught fish tends to be healthier than their farm -raised counterparts and contain a better ration of Omega-3/Omega-6 fatty acids. About the only fish that this isn't true with are the bottom feeders, like catfish.

But it can be rather expensive. We are starting the season for wild salmon and you'll start to see them in the stores, and yeah they're going to be somewhere in the 15 - 18 bucks/pound range, particularly if you're also looking for sustainable fishing practices and such. I tend to buy it when it's in season, but I also go with Alton Brown's take on it. If you can afford it, go wild caught. But farm-raised salmon is better than no salmon.

Re: Is The Expesnsive Salmon In the Store Worth The Price Over The Lower Priced Salmo

Looking at $17.00/lb. for the top shelve salmon is it really that much better than the lower priced salmon?
I think from the mid range to the upper range there is not much difference,
but for the low range to the mid range is quite a bit of difference.
You can get Salmon from Walmart for $5 a pound, and it taste like Salmon from Walmart for $5 a pound.
On the other hand, Kroger will put salmon on sale for $5.99 per pound, that is pretty good.

Every salmon Ive eaten pretty much tastes the same, its the way its cooked and the sauces involved that makes a difference imo.

So pretty much, you'd be talking about the difference between wild caught and farm raised salmon. The wild caught stuff does tend to be rather expensive, but the quality difference is also noticeable. Additionally, wild caught fish tends to be healthier than their farm -raised counterparts and contain a better ration of Omega-3/Omega-6 fatty acids. About the only fish that this isn't true with are the bottom feeders, like catfish.

But it can be rather expensive. We are starting the season for wild salmon and you'll start to see them in the stores, and yeah they're going to be somewhere in the 15 - 18 bucks/pound range, particularly if you're also looking for sustainable fishing practices and such. I tend to buy it when it's in season, but I also go with Alton Brown's take on it. If you can afford it, go wild caught. But farm-raised salmon is better than no salmon.

I won't buy farmed salmon out of principle but I can afford those principles because there's lots of wild fish available here. I like sockeye, when it's available, but that's not always. Pinks are cheaper, and chum, but they all are only available when they're running. Springs and coho are pretty much year round, or more often than the others anyway. Coho costs more than springs, I think. What I'm getting at is that species has something to do with price.
My problem with fish farms is the mess on the bottom under the net pens from the feed, and the risk of disease in the confined, high-density populations. Also, they've been farming Atlantic salmon on the west coast which is abysmally stupid in my opinion. Fish inevitably escape the pens, to the point where the fishing regulations booklet here in BC has a picture of one so you can identify it and tell them where you caught it. If they start spawning here, who knows what the effect might be.

I won't buy farmed salmon out of principle but I can afford those principles because there's lots of wild fish available here. I like sockeye, when it's available, but that's not always. Pinks are cheaper, and chum, but they all are only available when they're running. Springs and coho are pretty much year round, or more often than the others anyway. Coho costs more than springs, I think. What I'm getting at is that species has something to do with price.
My problem with fish farms is the mess on the bottom under the net pens from the feed, and the risk of disease in the confined, high-density populations. Also, they've been farming Atlantic salmon on the west coast which is abysmally stupid in my opinion. Fish inevitably escape the pens, to the point where the fishing regulations booklet here in BC has a picture of one so you can identify it and tell them where you caught it. If they start spawning here, who knows what the effect might be.

Yup, pretty much. I don't like the farming practices either, and the farmed fish aren't as nutritious as the wild caught (this is true for most food though, the cows that are penned up and fed corn to fatten them up/grow quickly aren't as healthy as ranged, grass-fed cows, etc.)

I try to buy seasonal, I try to buy wild, I try to buy sustainable. That being said, if one is at the place where it's farm-raised salmon or no salmon, even then the farm-raised is better than none.

We never learn, do we? Introduced species are never a good thing.

Why farm Atlantic salmon when west coast salmon are available?

In my experience, farmed salmon is just fine. So no, i don't think it's really that much better.

The wild caught salmon is considerably darker and has slightly more full flavor.

If you are planning to utilize more of the salmon's innate taste, with lighter marinade/sauce, then wild caught salmon is more important. If you're going to slather it in brown sugar and teriyaki sauce like i do, then you probably won't be able to tell much of a difference.

Yep. There is a clear difference between wild and farm raised salmon. But even farm raised salmon is good. If you have a smoker, cook the salmon in it (don't dry it out like most "smoked salmon", just cook it until it flakes and then enjoy). I like to make an apple syrup (just cider reduced down) and brush the salmon with it and a little S&P.

Every salmon Ive eaten pretty much tastes the same, its the way its cooked and the sauces involved that makes a difference imo.

Do a side by side with WM salmon vs. one you caught that morning.

Yep. There is a clear difference between wild and farm raised salmon. But even farm raised salmon is good. If you have a smoker, cook the salmon in it (don't dry it out like most "smoked salmon", just cook it until it flakes and then enjoy). I like to make an apple syrup (just cider reduced down) and brush the salmon with it and a little S&P.
I had some smoked Salmon near Bellingham, Wa, that had the taste and texture of big chunks of the best bacon you have ever eaten.

I don't know that the effect will be great, Atlantic salmon are smaller and less aggressive then pacific salmon, their only biological advantage is that they spawn 3 to 5 times a life cycle as opposed to our salmon which die after 1.

but They were introducted into hundreds of river in Washington, Oregon, California and BC over the last century and after exhaustive study by Wash Dept of Fish and Wildlife they found no evidence of self sustaining colonies of atlantic salmon, so I don't think their effect is great.

We never learn, do we? Introduced species are never a good thing.

Why farm Atlantic salmon when west coast salmon are available?

That statement is false.

because Atlantic Salmon spawn more fry then pacific and spawn several times in their lives while all species of pacific salmon die after one spawn.

however, Atlantic Salmon are not suited to the pacific. since 1908 there were major attempts, mostly in British Columbia, but also in Wash, Ore, and Calif to introduce them in sport lakes and streams and rivers. they have never been able to establish self sustaining populations of atlantic salmon.

we only hear about invasive species that can establish themselves, most species introduced do not establish.

I don't know that the effect will be great, Atlantic salmon are smaller and less aggressive then pacific salmon, their only biological advantage is that they spawn 3 to 5 times a life cycle as opposed to our salmon which die after 1.

but They were introducted into hundreds of river in Washington, Oregon, California and BC over the last century and after exhaustive study by Wash Dept of Fish and Wildlife they found no evidence of self sustaining colonies of atlantic salmon, so I don't think their effect is great.

They were introduced? I wasn't aware of that. What a boneheaded move.
I have heard that lobsters were tried on this coast- they did find places where they survived but didn't thrive enough to actually reproduce. Thankfully.
How many times does the same mistake need to be made before it sinks in that it's a mistake?

I have heard that lobsters were tried on this coast- they did find places where they survived but didn't thrive enough to actually reproduce. Thankfully.
How many times does the same mistake need to be made before it sinks in that it's a mistake?
yeah, I remember reading a story about this in the paper several years ago, then mentioned many BC lakes being stocked with millions of atlantic salmon until the 1940s. I'll have to see if I can hunt that story down.

Well but really, we depend on many introduced species, there weren't herd of horses and cattle roaming North America before the Europeans. or flocks of chickens and turkeys in Iowa, hell I don't think corn existed in Iowa or Nebraska, certainly not Minnesota and the Dakotas. before modern agriculture. we live in a society where the eco system has already been re-engineered to make it better for us.

Well but really, we depend on many introduced species, there weren't herd of horses and cattle roaming North America before the Europeans. or flocks of chickens and turkeys in Iowa, hell I don't think corn existed in Iowa or Nebraska, certainly not Minnesota and the Dakotas. before modern agriculture. we live in a society where the eco system has already been re-engineered to make it better for us.

I don't know if agriculture counts as introducing species- free-range does, I guess, and escaped individuals.
I know certain species like pheasants have been introduced with minimal disruption but it's a bad policy, risky in ways we can't foresee.

You have probably never eaten cheap farm raised salmon then. But your in se asia. at the very least you are getting ocean caught salmon and often fresh I would guess.
The difference can be easily tasted with salmon sushi. harder to taste with cooked. I have had some in Manila that was fantastic. Ive had some at some higher end restaurants in the states that was quite good.
Costco has good wild caught salmon. but ive also had salmon that was kinda nasty from some supermarkets.

if you have to ask, just buy the cheap stuff.

I don't know if agriculture counts as introducing species- free-range does, I guess, and escaped individuals.
I know certain species like pheasants have been introduced with minimal disruption but it's a bad policy, risky in ways we can't foresee.

I think it does, think about it, Mustangs and Burros now roam feral, pigeons and feral cats are major problems in many cities.

Bison were driven to near extinction and now the plains are home to multitudes of cattle.

Fresh Salmon is very expensive this year because last few years the drought has decimated socks. Damn things and their spawn die because the river waters run too warm, or not at all. Last week Costco was selling Fresh farmed for $15 and fresh wild for $20. I said **** that and bought Norwegian farmed Steelhead Trout for $8. Did a Walnut crust that was freakin amazing.

If you want salmon this year frozen is the way to go. However, based upon studies it is likely that what you actually bought was steelhead. Close your eyes and go with the company you trust the most.

I always prefer wild and fresh, but I'll take what I can get. A farm raised salmon is better than much of what you could eat. You could have a corn dog.

I always prefer wild and fresh, but I'll take what I can get. A farm raised salmon is better than much of what you could eat. You could have a corn dog.

you have to realize half the people here eat at burger king.

you have to realize half the people here eat at burger king.
Your posts are always useless.

Your posts are always useless.

a quick peek at your posts confirmed my initial thoughts about you as well.

Back
Top Bottom