• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the Elon Musk Twitter takeover a big deal, politically?

Is the Twitter takeover a big deal politically?

• Yes, it’s a big deal

• No, it’s not a big deal

• It’s a moderately big deal

• It might be - we’ll see

• Something else

Results are only viewable after voting.

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
In terms of politics, is the Twitter takeover a big deal? Please vote and discuss in the comments below.

No, it's a private company being bought by a private person, there's nothing governmental or political about it. I think he's making a poor choice as Twitter has no products, innovation, or real fungible assets. The value is purely a function of the number of users, which could tank at any time.

All social media platforms need strong moderation in order to survive in the mainstream. We've had enough internet case studies of social media platforms that performed no moderation of any kind. It immediately becomes a cesspool of nazis, kid diddlers, conspiracy theorists and Trump supporters (with a lot of overlap), which runs off all of the moderate, normal people from the platform. I just don't see how this could possibly end up being a good investment for him.

If Musk unleashes Trump, it's absolutely a big deal politically. How could it not be?

I don’t get the flap…..🤷

If Musk unleashes Trump, it's absolutely a big deal politically. How could it not be?
IDK, do you think Trump has been muzzled…..

Trump has his own social media platform, which according to him is wildly successful. Why would he need Twitter? Are you saying Trump is currently impotent, powerless and leashed unless Twitter saves him?

Musk has become very erratic lately. I said before he's beginning to remind me of Howard Hughes. Use to be brilliant, but as time went on insanity took over.

I think if Musk takes Twitter private, and stops all advertising on the site, and turns it into a pay service??? Politics or no politics... Trump or no Trump he'll kill Twitter, it'll lose 10's of millions of users.

Very few will pay for a service that use to be free.

But we'll see, he's been saying a lot of weird things lately.

That's all the whole thing is about anyway. One corrupt crook from New York City.

Hell, all the other republicans liars constantly tweet anyway.

In terms of politics, is the Twitter takeover a big deal? Please vote and discuss in the comments below.
Of course, it's a big deal.

Various federal government agencies have "arrangements" with social media. There have been hints about this, but it's been kept pretty quiet. With this sale, not only are those arrangements in jeopardy of being shut down, they are in jeopardy of being fully exposed...especially potential financial issues.

I agree. It will allow Trump to dig himself a deeper hole. If one could even do that. Most people already know what a moron Trump actually is. Maybe this will allow a few more to see him for what he really is.

I think even without Trump coming back it’s a big deal. The suppression of stories and people from the right was rampant at Twitter. That needs to be alleviated.

I went with "It might be-we'll see". My personal attitude is that it means little in the grand scheme. It's a website. It's replaceable.
But it also boils down to what Musk does with it. Cons are celebrating this as some never-before-seen victory for free speech. Which is hyperbole. It's just them drama-ing it up as they are wont to do. But let them have their victory dance. Yay! You guys won Twitter! Where should we send the trophy?
Two quick points. One, I don't give a **** about Twitter and never have. Its importance is vastly over-exaggerated. Two, while I don't give a flying shit about Twitter I will concede that its policies on suspending and banning are stupid. Cut them back. Let people be who they are online.
Lastly, this I do know. Human nature is ugly. People in general are ugly and current politics makes them hideous. But I'm all for letting that show. I want people like Trump out there advertising their unabashed bigotry. I want the Boeberts and Greens out there openly showing their disdain for anyone who's not like them. And then I want rational non-asshole Americans to shove all that right back in their retarded faces. It's the right way to do it.

This senior citizen (85) has never been to Twitter, but apparently Twitter is a big deal for a lot of people, for the "progressives" are in a meltdown at the thought of a tiny bit more of free speech being allowed.

To hear the howls of distress coming from some "progressives," one would think this is the end of the world!

I can only speak for myself but I do not want to be on a platform that is reinstating accounts that were previously banned for violent threats, racism. etc. I won't be a part of that. If republicans support that then let them run the place into the ground. No skin off my back.

I can only speak for myself but I do not want to be on a platform that is reinstating accounts that were previously banned for violent threats, racism. etc. I won't be a part of that. If republicans support that then let them run the place into the ground. No skin off my back.
See, that is free speech. Good for you, and good for Twitter.

Ok. But what do you think about the poll question?

Ok. But what do you think about the poll question?
I didn't respond as it doesn't include my opinion. It all depends on what if any TOS they implement and if they actually enforce it. Again, I won't be there and my prediction is that it will become the new 4 chan and die a miserable death.

No. It's certainly explosive among Twitter users and republicans who think it's the biggest victory over liberals since trump won in 2016, but four statistics jump out at me:

• 206 million users access Twitter daily. 75% of them are not based in the US
  • Twitter is most popular among users aged 25-34
  • In the US, 92% of tweets come from the top 10% of users
  • On average, Twitter US users spend 158.2 minutes per month on the app

So only 25% of all twitter users are actually Americans, only one tenth of those users are regularly involved, you're not even looking at the most dependable voting blocs, and the people that are on the site aren't as glued to it as one might assume.

No. It's certainly explosive among Twitter users and republicans who think it's the biggest victory over liberals since trump won in 2016, but four statistics jump out at me:

• 206 million users access Twitter daily. 75% of them are not based in the US
  • Twitter is most popular among users aged 25-34
  • In the US, 92% of tweets come from the top 10% of users
  • On average, Twitter US users spend 158.2 minutes per month on the app

So only 25% of all twitter users are actually Americans, only one tenth of those users are regularly involved, you're not even looking at the most dependable voting blocs, and the people that are on the site aren't as glued to it as one might assume.

Wow interesting! Thank you for the info.

Hell yes it’s a big deal. Now both parties have access to the biggest platform.

Hell yes it’s a big deal. Now both parties have access to the biggest platform.
They always did but it was expected that people post within the terms of TOS.

Only if the Conservatives make it a big deal.

They trigger easy

Yes, the amount of deal that it is would be illustrated quite well, if Twitter were to do for the Republicans in the upcoming mid-term elections what it did for the Democrats in 2020.

Guy with inflated asset wealth uses his monopoly money to buy an inflated toxic asset used primarily to drive micro-marketing for scams, pumps, personality cults and in-group petting circles.

So, late capitalist value bubbling, gone symbolic. Noise for noise's sake, usually as legerdemain.

That's not a big deal. It's just a big noise.

Maybe next Musk can use his in-house scrip to aquire the smell of asparagus. It's just as useful as 'owning' twitter.

Guy with inflated asset wealth uses his monopoly money to buy an inflated toxic asset used primarily to drive micro-marketing for scams, pumps, personality cults and in-group petting circles.

So, late capitalist value bubbling, gone symbolic. Noise for noise's sake, usually as legerdemain.

That's not a big deal. It's just a big noise.

Maybe next Musk can use his in-house scrip to aquire the smell of asparagus. It's just as useful as 'owning' twitter.
For something that is a stupid investment, and also just a big noise signifying nothing, the Left sure had a bit of a fit about it, lol.

Back
Top Bottom