• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is the death penalty more cruel than life in prison?

All right now we're getting somewhere. I take your point that I'm hypothesising increased efficiencies in the system and the actual sentence itself. I reiterate that your correct in the assertion that, at present, the death penalty is prohibitively expensive to implement. I'm especially pleased to know that when I'm in the position to propose my Criminal Justice Reform Act (circa 2009/2010 ideally) I'll have your spiritual support;)

You mind if I post this again?
JamesRichards said:
Try to ignore millsy, he's a militant liberal (an, amusing oxymoron), if he came home one day to find his male relatives murdered and criminals gang-raping his female relatives of all ages, before paralyzing him in an assault, anally-raping him, stealing his car and his beer, and finishing off by running down a dozen school children then killing eight police in a shootout, he would still oppose giving them the death penalty. What'cha say millsy?;)

I just really wanna hear you say the magic words.:smile:

JamesRichards said:
You mind if I post this again?

I just really wanna hear you say the magic words.:smile:

Okay, you probably don't deserve an answer to this:mrgreen: since it was asked in such a 4th grade school yard manner ("militant liberal? sounds like a volvo with a gun rack"(robin williams):rofl )

But, here goes nothing.

If somebody did something to harm my family would I want to see them put to death? Absolutely not, I would want to do it myself (I stole that line from a TV show) and I wouldn't want it to be quick and easy. I would make it slow and painful, Al Queda style.

This is why I don't believe that fathers of murdered baby daughters should be the ones making decisions about our justice system (stole that one too, same tv show).

Decisions should be made with intelect based on what we, the people, believe to be right, not decided by knee jerk emotional reactions.

millsy said:
If somebody did something to harm my family would I want to see them put to death? Absolutely not, I would want to do it myself
OH YEAH! Thar he blows!:mrgreen: That's what the crowd wanted to see. Thanks.

millsy said:
This is why I don't believe that fathers of murdered baby daughters should be the ones making decisions about our justice system
I understand this logic and it is very sensible. Of course I think that their input is precisely what the justice system needs (Certainly the British system) but i'm happy to leave this one here. ;)

Nice to debate with you.:smile:

It all depends on the manner of the death. It also all depends on how the individual is treated throughout his/her stay in prison. There are many scenarios here.

Because they will be declared innocent or guilty for their crimes. If guilty, they get shot. Simple as that. If innocent, they are sent free. Simple as that
and the ones that are alter found to be not guilty?

Willoughby said:
and the ones that are alter found to be not guilty?

Prudent and even moral public policy needn't guarantee that someone innocent won't die - for example every war is engaged in knowing going in that some civilians will die.

Why do those who say that death penalty is good because they don't have to live through prison not support euthinasia?

-Demosthenes- said:
Why do those who say that death penalty is good because they don't have to live through prison not support euthanasia?

For the same reason that they oppose the killing of innocent unborn babies in America and support the killing of innocent babies-- born and unborn alike-- in other countries.

It's a simple moral inconsistency, like the belief that it's wrong to impose your moral beliefs upon others-- unless you're stopping them from being racist or sexist.

-Demosthenes- said:
Why do those who say that death penalty is good because they don't have to live through prison not support euthinasia?
Ridiculous really isn't it? Personally, I can see a valid reasoning to both.

No, rotting in an isolated cell cut from the rest of the world like Zacharias Moussaoui is definitely worse, in my opinion.

Unless a liberal gets in to office and decides its 'inhumane' to use solitary confinement. Then he'd be out in population preaching his beliefs, enjoying his infamy, maybe write a couple of books, then claim he's become a changed man. People might even start to say "Well he didn't actually hurt anyone did he?" and some celebrities may start a campaign. I can see it now 'Mercy for Moussaoui'. They'll be selling 'MM' branded T-shirts.:rofl

If someone is guilty by evidence----dna or whatever, and they get the death penalty it is not unhumane! After all,they didn't care about that when they commited it. Killing someone, etc. Geesh!

This is the question that has been asked.
It was not requested that the costs of the Death Penalty versus the costs of a life imprisonment be discussed.

If that is what you wish to discuss then may I suggest you put that question under a seperate post.

Korimyr the Rat said:
Which is more cruel-- hunting or factory farming?

I think they're comparable.

Eeew I don't know Korimyr. Generally a hunter will be killing an animal that was free and living presumably the way the animal was meant to live. Some factory farms keep animals in horrible disgusting conditions where their entire life from beginning to end sucks, is stressful, and unhealthy. I'd definitely say factory farms are worse.

And if prisoners were kept in the same conditions that factory farm animals are subjected to then I'd bet more of them would opt for death vs life in prison and I'd probably agree that the death penalty was more humane than life in prison. Luckily bad as some prisons are I think most are better than your average factory farm so thus I'd vote the death penalty is more cruel than life in prison.

This is a subjective question and it also assumes as a premise that life in prison is itself a cruelty... a philosophical point of view that not everyone is so readily willing to embrace.

I know that if I was given a choice bettween life in prison or the death sentence, I would much rather be killed.

So to answer the question which started this, life in prison is much more cruel in my opinion.

MikeRocks said:
I know that if I was given a choice bettween life in prison or the death sentence, I would much rather be killed.

So to answer the question which started this, life in prison is much more cruel in my opinion.

What the hell are you thinking....by think life in prison is cruel punishment

Loxd4 said:
What the hell are you thinking....by think life in prison is cruel punishment

Excatly, that's why I'd rather be killed if I had the choice.
Which is why I'm against it, it's too easy on the criminals.

millsy said:
Heck, why even bother with a trial? It's not like the police are going to arrest an innocent person. In fact we can save a lot of money by doing away with judges and courts all together. Just let the police decide what punishment the guilty person (cause if they weren't guilty the police wouldn't arrest them) should get, and then give it to them right there.

I'm sure If it were up to the police,They'd just shoot anybody they arrested. Sad thing is innocent people are arrested daily.

MCS117 said:
So the fair trail would be thrown out the windows when we start killing murderers? Why do we have to give trails? Because they will be declared innocent or guilty for their crimes. If guilty, they get shot. Simple as that. If innocent, they are sent free. Simple as that.

Makes sense! Are you an police officer?

imprtnrd said:
If someone is guilty by evidence----dna or whatever, and they get the death penalty it is not unhumane! After all,they didn't care about that when they commited it. Killing someone, etc. Geesh!

That's just it,It'll have to be dna etc to prove they're the ones that committed the crime.Let's face it innocent people are wrongly convicted all the time. I'm against the death penalty for two reasons.

1.) What if for the sake of argument ,The person is executed and years later they find out the person was innocent.
2.) Going back to dna proof if the person is guilty beyond an shadow of a doubt,Executing them does not even fit the crime.It's more humane to execute them than it is to keep them locked up for life.

I believe some aspects of each prove more humane than their counterparts. Death (as I do not believe in an afterlife, thus no heaven or hell) is much more humane as a quick punishment as opposed to the drawn-out sentence of 23 hour a day solitary confinement for the remainder of one's life. Looking at those commiting capital crimes, they deserve the greater of the two evils (i.e. those who molest and then murder helpless kids).
Secondly, I do not agree with the "eye for an eye" mentality, and believe that the death penalty is, in effect, murder for a murder.
Lastly, the death penalty is an irreversible action. The number of those exeucted and later found to be innocent by way of D.N.A. is sickening.
Brevity

P.S. No matter what figures you may choose to apply, it is indeed more costly to our society to employ the death penalty than to keep a person incarcerated for life
Brevity is the soul of wit -- Polonius to Laertes, Hamlet, Act II Scene ii

Jerm said:
Please voice your opinoins. I personally think that life in prison is harsher if less economically friendly. I also think that the GOV is too soft in dealing out the death penalty. Murder should more often lead to the death penalty, in my opinion, but thats another story.

Life in prison is much worse than the death penalty. I've read that there have been more prison suicides than people executed. How many would rather die?

Administering the death penalty costs more than life in prison. The appeals involved aren't cheap.

Duke

Brevity said:
Brevity is the soul of wit -- Polonius to Laertes, Hamlet, Act II Scene ii
And tediousness the limbs and outward flourishes,
I will be brief: your noble son is mad.

Why are these lines so little known?

The worst that could happen to a man is to be locked inside a little cell, with no light and no one to talk to. If you kill the man who committed the crime you let him get away with it. He wins in someway. And that's not fair to the victim.

I think that would become worse than death.

And that's the point.

Welcome to the forums, Sarafluff!

Duke

Sarafluff said:
The worst that could happen to a man is to be locked inside a little cell, with no light and no one to talk to. If you kill the man who committed the crime you let him get away with it. He wins in someway. And that's not fair to the victim.

Becuase when the offender suffers the victim feels good.

Stupid humans.

Back
Top Bottom