• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the Current Struggle in Turkey a Window into Europe's Future

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Since 2003 with the rise of the AKP and Recep Erdogan, Turkey has undergone a shift away from its long held secular democratic values and is indisputably moving towards an Islamist Nationalist Dictatorship. The following article is just the most recent example of this:

Turkish students fear assault on secular education - BBC News

After recently spending some time in Turkey and having the chance to speak with locals (mostly liberals) many of them seem to believe the rise of the AKP is the revenge of the Religious Right after feeling their voices were not heard in the long standing secular government which embraced western values (Women's Rights, Freedom of Expression and even gay rights to a certain extent)

So my question is whether Conservative Islam is compatible with Secular Western Democracy and as Europe's Muslim population grows is this a window into what Europe's future political discourse may look like?

Since 2003 with the rise of the AKP and Recep Erdogan, Turkey has undergone a shift away from its long held secular democratic values and is indisputably moving towards an Islamist Nationalist Dictatorship. The following article is just the most recent example of this:

Turkish students fear assault on secular education - BBC News

After recently spending some time in Turkey and having the chance to speak with locals (mostly liberals) many of them seem to believe the rise of the AKP is the revenge of the Religious Right after feeling their voices were not heard in the long standing secular government which embraced western values (Women's Rights, Freedom of Expression and even gay rights to a certain extent)

So my question is whether Conservative Islam is compatible with Secular Western Democracy and as Europe's Muslim population grows is this a window into what Europe's future political discourse may look like?
No,

On both counts.

No,

On both counts.

No on both counts?

So Conservative Islam is not compatible with Secular Western Democracy, but Political Conflict between Secularists and Conservative Muslims is not going to occur in the future?

Interesting logic.

I feel like Turkey will collapse in the near future and Greece will become a regional power in its stead. With how weakened the tiny countries north of them are in the fallout of the Yugoslav wars of the 1990's, they could easily collect resources from these countries, and go onto reap great further rewards from the collapse of Turkey. In fact, Greece and Russia - I am almost positive - are in some way involved in the chaos unfolding in Turkey.

I feel like Turkey will collapse in the near future and Greece will become a regional power in its stead. With how weakened the tiny countries north of them are in the fallout of the Yugoslav wars of the 1990's, they could easily collect resources from these countries, and go onto reap great further rewards from the collapse of Turkey. In fact, Greece and Russia - I am almost positive - are in some way involved in the chaos unfolding in Turkey.

Well Russia has made no secret as of late regarding its feelings towards Turkey after their plane was shot down some months ago, but as for Greece they are even closer to becoming a failed state then Turkey so it is hard to picture some master plan on their part.

Well Russia has made no secret as of late regarding its feelings towards Turkey after their plane was shot down some months ago, but as for Greece they are even closer to becoming a failed state then Turkey so it is hard to picture some master plan on their part.

I was thinking more along the lines of the long-held tensions between Greece and Turkey and their rivalry and Greece (even moreso because of their debt crisis) desperately seizing upon this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to return to their former power of Ancient Greece. But of course it is Russia with the master plan (potentially using Greece - which has a fairly robust military compared to the rest of Eastern Europe [except Poland] - as a bludgeon with which to beat the region and avoid drawing blame for stoking sectarian strife in the region once again), with their recent adventures in Crimea it wouldn't surprise me.

No on both counts?

So Conservative Islam is not compatible with Secular Western Democracy, but Political Conflict between Secularists and Conservative Muslims is not going to occur in the future?

Interesting logic.
Maybe you could word your question more precisely?

Your original question was
which you now rephrase to
but Political Conflict between Secularists and Conservative Muslims is not going to occur in the future?
. By secularists do you mean non-Muslims or those Muslims that get on very well with the secular system?

I agree that Turkey is the economically healthier of the two (relatively speaking), it's long term political stability remains to be seen.

Greece, despite its dire economics is better armed, is currently basking in Russian overtures and has European money propping it up. Where it's usually "any old port in a storm", the European harbor still has preference.

Russia cannot offer that kind of a prop.

If Turkey collapses all the world collapses

Why? I imagine most of the world wouldn't even notice.

I think if Turkey were truly to collapse into some kind of civil war similar to that of Syria that would have massive ramifications for Europe and the wider world. Turkey is 3 times the size of Syria and has a much larger economy and much greater ties to the western world and is a part of Nato. It is also essentially now shielding the West from the ongoing refugee crisis in Syria so if it were to itself collapse yea that could bring about pretty terrible consequences and help to reshape the global geopolitical situation.

Back
Top Bottom