• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the current brouhaha over TG restroom access a...

Is the current brouhaha over TG restroom access a...

• Total voters
Is the current brouhaha over TG restroom access a legitimate issues that needed to be addressed, or is it a manufactured wedge issue?

TG = transgender, in case you don't know.

How many TG's are there in the U.S.? I generally don't care where someone uses the bathroom but I would be a little creeped out if I were taking a shower at the gym and a TG came in to shower beside me. I guess that qualifies me as a TGaphobe. Definitely a wedge issue formed by the Divider in Chief and the demagogue party.

How many TG's are there in the U.S.? I generally don't care where someone uses the bathroom but I would be a little creeped out if I were taking a shower at the gym and a TG came in to shower beside me. I guess that qualifies me as a TGaphobe.
I don't think you'd really be a transgenderaphobe(is that even a thing?). I mean if I'm completely honest I wouldn't be 100% comfortable with it either. But then again, I'm already pretty uncomfortable in locker rooms and public restrooms to begin with.

And transgendered individuals make up less than 1% of the population, so not very much. I think it's like 1 trans person out of 800 people, but I may be wrong on that.

Manufactured wedge issue. Definitely. Unlike same sex marriage this isn't something that needed legislation. Transgendered people had been using the restrooms they were the most comfortable in for a long time before now. People weren't being arrested for doing it and people weren't being assaulted because of it.

With SSM settled they needed a new wedge issue for this election cycle.

Yes, because trans people should have legal protections. I fail to see the rub. Also, if calling someone a social justice warrior is an insult, then it's an insult I'll wear with ****ing pride.

People should have the SAME legal protection not special carve out as for what they are after now. Make no mistake that is exactly what the SJW's are after. Discrimination in the reverse is discrimination.

Since trans people have been using the bathroom they themselves associate with their gender for years and years and years and years and years and years, Its pretty clear its a simple manufactured wedge issue meant to distract us.

Im sorry, but forcing this **** upon elementary school kids? And high schools? You know there are going to be all sorts of problems there. Because any system of "proving" that one truly is transgender is not going to be acceptable to the SJW crowd.

Again the Radical Right is polishing a turd to try and sell to the rest of us. What 'forcing' of elementary kids??? Just how many elementary kids have gender identification issues??? How many full grown men have access to elementary school bathrooms??? You are trying to create a crisis where none will exist!!! :confused:

Now what problems are going to happen in High Schools that don't already exist in those petri dishes of developing hormones??? First the female bathrooms have separate ENCLOSED stalls, so who is seeing what? Next these kids should know what all females know, never to the bathroom alone. Finally any sexual attack can happen anyplace, the bathroom will not be a favorite sex spot... too many other people with access.

Can tell you one thing this whole proving you are NOT a transgender is working out wonderfully... :doh

No system is perfect, but these bathroom laws are ridiculous and some of those defending them go to insane extremes to try and justify the position... :peace

Is the current brouhaha over TG restroom access a legitimate issues that needed to be addressed, or is it a manufactured wedge issue?

TG = transgender, in case you don't know.

Wedge issue for sure. Since the GOP lost the moral high ground on heterosexual marriage from the Supreme Court and gays and lesbians can now openly serve in our military and they caught alot of flack over the marriage equality issue, they had to come up with a new moral wrinkle to stir the public's angst.

EXCEPT.

For the part where these idiotic laws, passed by idiots for idiots would have this person use a womens washroom:

chazbono_01_640x400.jpg

And this person use a mens washroom:

6644422.jpg

So no, it isn't really "Rational".

I agree that, in both examples, those people should use the restrooms associated with the gender they're living as. No problem. What I disagree with is this notion that all genders are now free to use whichever bathroom for any reason as some are advancing now. Reactionary laws are usually stupid and ill thought out, but that includes overly sensitive, idiotic laws proposing to make it illegal to even enquire of someone clearly a male what the hell he's doing in the women's room.

It is obviously meant to distract from the rampant voter suppression unfolding in the 2016 election.

Wedge issue for sure. Since the GOP lost the moral high ground on heterosexual marriage from the Supreme Court and gays and lesbians can now openly serve in our military and they caught alot of flack over the marriage equality issue, they had to come up with a new moral wrinkle to stir the public's angst.
It's almost like they're cherry picking which topics to lose.

I don't think you'd really be a transgenderaphobe(is that even a thing?). I mean if I'm completely honest I wouldn't be 100% comfortable with it either. But then again, I'm already pretty uncomfortable in locker rooms and public restrooms to begin with.

And transgendered individuals make up less than 1% of the population, so not very much. I think it's like 1 trans person out of 800 people, but I may be wrong on that.
That's the thing, a lot of people are uncomfortable with sharing public facilities with ANYBODY. It doesn't matter what proclivity the other person is or is not. Some... I'd say many... people are simply modest, and their modesty increases when the other sex/gender is involved. And there's nothing wrong with that.

If we have, say, a class of 30 students, half male half female, and one of the males is TG, then it's not unreasonable to believe that anywhere from 5 to 10 of the girls would be uncomfortable with a male in their shower, even if the male is TG.

In an ideal world I would like everybody to be comfortable, you bet, but is it honestly reasonable to make 5 to 10 people uncomfortable just so one person can be comfortable?

It's almost like they're cherry picking which topics to lose.

No, not really. The GOP wants this fight because they believe they can capture the moral high ground...at least that's what they hope will happen anyway among potential voters.

I remember reading an article in Time Magazine (11/16/2015) that made the GOP political agenda very crystal clear:

What is good for the President may well be good for the country, but it is not necessarily good for congressional Republicans. We need wedge issues to beat incumbent Democrats.

So, in taking up this faux fight, the GOP is merely attempting to take the moral high ground which is all any wedge issue is really all about. Create a false argument on an issue that really didn't pose a problem until we (GOP) made it one. A-typical brinkmanship from the far-right...creating controversy where the really isn't any.

Legal protection? From what? Rationality? Women using the womens room and men using the mens room is a perfectly rational legal standard. That you want to pander to people who wish to pretend they are a different sex than they are is your business. The rational world doesn't have to play along and it is the rational who should get legal protection from the PC madness of the left.

Once they win this battle they'll demand men sit down and pee; and have all urinals everywhere removed. Just wait.

No, not really. The GOP wants this fight because they believe they can capture the moral high ground...at least that's what they hope will happen anyway among potential voters.

I remember reading an article in Time Magazine (11/16/2015) that made the GOP political agenda very crystal clear:

So, in taking up this faux fight, the GOP is merely attempting to take the moral high ground which is all any wedge issue is really all about. Create a false argument on an issue that really didn't pose a problem until we (GOP) made it one. A-typical brinkmanship from the far-right...creating controversy where the really isn't any.
Yes, really. Sure they keep picking these moral wedge issues, no argument there, but they keep eventually losing them. Over and over and over...

Keep in mind I said "almost like". I'm not suggesting they're purposely picking to lose, it's just working out that way so consistently that it seems like they are.

Yes, really. Sure they keep picking these moral wedge issues, no argument there, but they keep eventually losing them. Over and over and over...

Keep in mind I said "almost like". I'm not suggesting they're purposely picking to lose, it's just working out that way so consistently that it seems like they are.

You'll get no further argument from me. I'm actually on your side here.

Manufactured wedge issue no doubt. Trans people have been using the bathrooms they want for years without incident. This is just the conservative right pitching a new fit after the SSM battle has been lost.

That's interesting. I had no idea that President Obama was either conservative, or pitching a fit because he was upset about SSM.

You have it ass backwards....

I don't get some of you on here.....

When pro-transgender laws are passed, which started first btw, nobody thinks that is a problem.

But when areas go and pre-emptively pass laws against it, or like in NC, pass a law in response to a city in their state...... then suddenly

ITS ALL THE CONSERVATIVES PITCHING A FIT AND CHOOSING A NEW MORAL WEDGE ISSUE!!!!!

When you fail to realize that this whole thing was started by the people who started forcing this transgender equality on us to begin with.

I don't get some of you on here.....

When pro-transgender laws are passed, which started first btw, nobody thinks that is a problem.

But when areas go and pre-emptively pass laws against it, or like in NC, pass a law in response to a city in their state...... then suddenly

ITS ALL THE CONSERVATIVES PITCHING A FIT AND CHOOSING A NEW MORAL WEDGE ISSUE!!!!!

When you fail to realize that this whole thing was started by the people who started forcing this transgender equality on us to begin with.
I cannot speak for anyone else, but I was honestly unaware of this stuff going prior to the NC law being passed. Or, if I was aware it was so low on my radar that I barely gave it a notice.

Anyway, then everybody started countering and then countering the countering, and I'm sitting here watching all this thinking, "Geez, get a grip, people. :roll:"

Back
Top Bottom