• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the coverage of Ukraine racist?

Is the coverage of Ukraine racist?

• Yes

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • No

Votes: 17 89.5%
  • Maybe

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
At this point the only people listening to Nikole Hannah-Jones are those who want to be as upset as she is.

Is there any doubt that we care more about the strife in a country of primarily white people than in non-white countries and the media coverage reflects that?
I really hadn't thought about it in that way, but can see her point.
I looked at it as our biggest geopolitical enemy* attacking a neighbor to expand the so called Evil Empire**.
* Mitt Romney, ** Ronald Reagan...

Double standard, probably some part white people getting attacked, but also a peaceful democratic country being attacked. Plus it is Europe which has. had relative peace for a while.

But I do find it hypocritical US outraged by this while we bombed the shit out of Afghani and Iraqi men, women and children. Plus many other countries we have decimated.

It also is ridiculous how its not called war crimes when Israel targets civilians, but here it is outrage. It should be outrageous no matter what innocent people are being bombed

Frankly, the difference between accepting refugees from a country like Ukraine and accepting them from a war torn Middle Eastern or North African country is that you don't have to do the level of security screening on refugees from Ukraine that you do from a majority Muslim country.

Plus. the story (if true) of people of color not being let in as refugees and saying Ukrainians first

While there is plenty of room to criticize the war in Iraq and aspects of the war in Afghanistan, this attack on Ukraine is not comparable to anything we've seen in the world since Iraq invaded Kuwait causing the launch of Desert Storm.

I do understand her point, that we certainly do not focus on wars and conquerings in Africa or the Middle East with quite the preoccupation we have with Ukraine. I, for one, relate much more to the Ukrainian plight (probably because of my lineage, my travels and a deeper understanding of European history) than I would the war in Rwanda, so to a great extent there is some structural (institutional) racism baked into this.

That said, this is a huge geo-political event and world peace is very much on the line much more with a fringe war in Sub Sahara Africa. Though she is not wrong, I do think this is unnecessary panty bunching rather than a good illustration of racism. People need to pick their battles. This was a poor choice of a battle on her part as very few people would understand her grievance here.
If Rwanda had a madman with a couple thousand nuclear warheads pointed at NATO countries, threatening anybody that gets in his way as he committed war crimes, maybe she wouldn’t sound like a racist moron.

While it is extremely suspect that the media doesn't give a damn about atrocities committed by American allies like Saudi Arabia, this isn't about race but power. Russia is a geopolitical rival, and America will never be happy about anything Russia does unless it's an opportunity to feign outrage over military activity.

While it is extremely suspect that the media doesn't give a damn about atrocities committed by American allies like Saudi Arabia, this isn't about race but power. Russia is a geopolitical rival, and America will never be happy about anything Russia does unless it's an opportunity to feign outrage over military activity.
There's no actual need to feign outrage.

This is basically a bank robbery with an attached rolling atrocity.

There's no actual need to feign outrage.

This is basically a bank robbery with an attached rolling atrocity.
And yet actual genocide in other countries that don't directly threaten American political interests make headlines for a week at most. This is only important to American media because the Cold War never ended.

And yet actual genocide in other countries that don't directly threaten American political interests make headlines for a week at most. This is only important to American media because the Cold War never ended.

You're not wrong.

Still doesn't make the outrage feigned.

You're not wrong.

Still doesn't make the outrage feigned.
Perhaps my choice of words was a bit extreme, but I think it conveys the sentiment well. I don't think that Americans' current concern for Ukraine has anything to do with Ukraine or the plight of Ukrainians, but with an ingrained opposition to Russia. That's not to say that Russia shouldn't be opposed, but that there's something very frustrating about seeing people whose eyes glaze over when someone mentions state sponsored murder in Ethiopia or a far right coup in Bolivia suddenly become galvanized by the thought of poor, geopolitically important Ukraine getting actual Russian boots on the ground after over a decade of civil war with Russian minorities. If nothing else, I certainly think that American concern for Ukraine's people is cynically selfish.

Perhaps my choice of words was a bit extreme, but I think it conveys the sentiment well. I don't think that Americans' current concern for Ukraine has anything to do with Ukraine or the plight of Ukrainians, but with an ingrained opposition to Russia.
At first, I'd have agreed with you. But watching the Ukrainians both fight AND clown the **** out of the Russians, I'm a real fan now.
That's not to say that Russia shouldn't be opposed, but that there's something very frustrating about seeing people whose eyes glaze over when someone mentions state sponsored murder in Ethiopia or a far right coup in Bolivia suddenly become galvanized by the thought of poor, geopolitically important Ukraine getting actual Russian boots on the ground after over a decade of civil war with Russian minorities. If nothing else, I certainly think that American concern for Ukraine's people is cynically selfish.

Well, yes. It's America.

Those other countries don’t have Nukes aimed our way.

Is there any doubt that we care more about the strife in a country of primarily white people than in non-white countries and the media coverage reflects that?
I believe it has so much more to do with where nuclear capabilities lie and the strong possibility of a major escalation of war. What happens with NATO and the Ukraine and Russia and the United States could bring the possibility of all out WAR to our doorsteps. What happens in some third world nation in Africa ---- not so much.

Back
Top Bottom