• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the Congressional Ethics Committee racist?

Is the ethics committee unfairly targeting african-american congresspeople?

• Total voters

Ockham

Noblesse oblige
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Morning Joe
Start at about 5:56.

Rep. Clyburn seems to think that the Congressional Ethics Committee are unfairly targeting black house members. CNN this past weekend had Al Sharpton commenting on blacks being targeted and the Black Congressional Caucus complaining that african-american's are being unfairly targeted.

Is the Black Caucus right?

Here are White House Ethics Committee members

Zoe Lofgren (D) California

Ben Chandler, (D) Kentucky

G.K. Butterfield (D) North Carolina

Cathy Castor (D) Florida

Peter Welch (D) Vermont

Jo Bonner (R) Alabama

Mike Conaway (R) Texas

Charles Dent (R) Pennsylvania

Gregg Harper (R) Mississippi

Michael McCaul (R) Texas

Possibly yes, possibly no.

It could be that only black house members are corrupt at this time.

But how likely is that?

Oddly enough, I had Limbaugh's radio show on for a few mins earlier today, and heard his mention/comment on this.

The theme was quite similar.

This poll isn't very useful except to cause users to vote in a knee-jerk way. How could we possibly know whether or not a committee is unfairly targeting African-Americans? Do we know what other investigations are in process? Do we have numbers indicating how many historically have been targetted as compared to their percentage in Congress?

No, we don't. At least regards other investigations in process -- neither does Rev. Sharpton. When I noted that a second investigation of a black congressman was in the works, I knew it would just be a matter of 5-4-3-2-1. We're at 1. Ha!

This poll isn't very useful except to cause users to vote in a knee-jerk way. How could we possibly know whether or not a committee is unfairly targeting African-Americans? Do we know what other investigations are in process? Do we have numbers indicating how many historically have been targetted as compared to their percentage in Congress?

No, we don't. At least regards other investigations in process -- neither does Rev. Sharpton. When I noted that a second investigation of a black congressman was in the works, I knew it would just be a matter of 5-4-3-2-1. We're at 1. Ha!

Given the information you make a decision... if you find that decision ill advised given a lack of evidence, go investigate and report your findings. Otherwise, if it's not worth the trouble... ignore this thread.

Thankyou.

Given the information you make a decision... if you find that decision ill advised given a lack of evidence, go investigate and report your findings. Otherwise, if it's not worth the trouble... ignore this thread.

Thankyou.

We all post on Debate Politics in our own way. My post here was to point out that I didn't have enough information to make a decision -- and to say that I saw it coming several days ago.

Possibly yes, possibly no.

It could be that only black house members are corrupt at this time.

But how likely is that?

Oddly enough, I had Limbaugh's radio show on for a few mins earlier today, and heard his mention/comment on this.

The theme was quite similar.

like it or not the percentage of black Politicians seems to be much higher than whites when it comes to proven corruption.

without even trying hard we have Mel Reynolds (a Rhodes Scholar) who was convicted of stuff from statutory rape to extortion
Cold Cash Jefferson in New Orleans. Cynthia "'scuse me while I punch this guy" McKinney, Maxine "the Moron" Waters, Rangel, etc

John Conyers was implicated in various corrupt activities, Marion"snort" Barry, Harold Washington, Carolyn Mousey Braun, the list goes on.

Ever read "No Longer at Ease by Chinua Achebe?

No. The Black Caucus is for the most part a corrupt organization. They make Tom Delay seem nearly legitimate.

I would say this is a topic with a double edge on it. It serves conservatives "reverse racism" agenda, but it also serves the liberal/African American agenda of "nothing will ever be equal". I say just back away from the topic slowly until you are out the door and then run for the car and speed away.

The House Ethics Committee is five Republicans, five Democrats. No way would the committee send to trial senior members of the majority party simply because they were black, not with a mulatto president and the desperate need the Democrats have for support this election.

Nope.

Rangel and Waters are in trouble precisely because their activities were so egregious that action had to be taken.

I must admit to a degree of unease when someone within either of the Party's is reported to the Ethics Committee and when that person is Black.
I know absolutely that regardless of their guilt or innocence, that Rev. Sharpton will immediately claim their innocence.
It disturbs me that Rev Sharpton behaves in this manner, as in my opinion he is merely reintroducing and encouraging racism back into the community.
IMO he would be better respected were he to listen to or read the evidence prior to proclaiming Racism as the reason for being reported to or charges by the Ethics committee.

Back
Top Bottom