• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the Concept of and Messaging Regarding "White Privilege" Useful/Working?

That's a pretty fine-tooth distinction and if it's commonly missed, maybe the problem doesn't always lie with the choice of the hearers?

Nope, for reasons that have been explained many, many times over. Try to understand them.

How do you know that for a fact? It's not as if it hasnt happened to plenty of white people. I wonder if Daniel Shaver also "knew for a fact" that he wasn't going to be shot by cops.

And yes, the incidence of police shootings is higher per capita for black people than for whites. But it happens to people of all "races".

On one occasion I DID run from the cops due to outstanding warrants.
I did get caught, did get arrested, did go to jail, but in the end the judge dismissed the charge of fleeing and I never got roughed up when I pulled over.
On another occasion my old chum Gerard, who I hadn't seen in well over a decade, took me to Malibu and we got pulled over because he had a DIY sovereign citizen license plate and no driver's license.
We ended up face down on the asphalt because Gerard jumped into the back of his van to fetch his copy of the Constitution which he felt authorized him to drive with no license and no valid plates.
Yeah, he'd changed a lot since I'd seen him last.
But who checks license plates on a car when you're getting a ride from a buddy??

But we didn't get shot.
And believe me, a sketchy guy with sketchy fake plates jumping into the back of a van and furiously rummaging around back there usually makes a cop's trigger finger very itchy because they assume (quite rightly) that the person is fetching A GUN.

So my point is, neither of us are BLACK, which is why both of us survived.

I feel like maybe I should clarify for the thread that I am in no way disputing that white privilege is a thing.

The way I've said that is that what 'white privilege' is trying to say is right, but it is the wrong way to look at it. We wouldn't say that people who haven't been raped have 'unraped privilege'.

The way I've said that is that what 'white privilege' is trying to say is right, but it is the wrong way to look at it. We wouldn't say that people who haven't been raped have 'unraped privilege'.

White people get active advantage. They get jobs and breaks and such.

Im not white but I look white so I have to be judicious with exercising my privilege. I usually save it for long lines at amusement parks. I walk straight to the front of the line and cut right in. I just say "excuse me, I am white and belong in the front of the line" Most minorities are very nice about it. They acknowledge my privilege and welcome me ahead of them. It great how accomidating everyone is when your white.

As I understand it, white privilege includes things like
(1) not being viewed with suspicion by police,

Not a privilege so much as a benefit, from being part of a larger group that doesn't have as much cultural criminal involvement as other groups.
Sort of like why Asians are looked as a good students. Because they study hard and get good grades and don't waste time in class being disruptive and rude.

(2) getting job interviews or coop board approvals without anybody wondering weather you will be a "good fit" based on your skin color,

Showiing up for a job interview properly dressed, and properly prepared, being able to present yourself in the best light, and without projecting an entitled or hostile attitude is always a benefit. People who do that best usually get the job.

(3) having a stable living arrangement while growing up,

Everybody makes choices. Don't do drugs, don't join gangs, and parents who do the same--- has no limitations based on race.
Whites do not hold a monopoly on the ability to make good choices.

(4) going to better schools or having more professionally useful social networks from a young age. (Not all white people have these privileges, of course, it's a generalization).

In America everyone is free to improve themselves and their lives. If boat people from Cambodia can arrive without a dime to their names, and within a generation make it to the middle class, anyone can make it.

I once tried to ask on this forum, why for example a Russian emigrant should be complex because of the culture of "white privilege" that is so desperately being imposed in the United States today...
I did not get an answer, or rather there was no clear one. In the United States, they are quite xenophobic towards Russians like me, and therefore a constructive dialogue does not work.
Therefore, I will ask another hypothetical question - there is such a Scandinavian people, the Sami. Google who doesn't know.
This people never participated in the Scandinavian expansion into Europe, because of the original warehouse could not build their own statehood in the entire history, because they did not participate in wars, did not keep slaves, and more often they themselves became victims of foreign expansion.
In the United States, these people will be considered white, only they have nothing to do with either slavery or segregation, but they will be under the yoke of a culture of general white repentance... and here's my question - why?

On one occasion I DID run from the cops due to outstanding warrants.
I did get caught, did get arrested, did go to jail, but in the end the judge dismissed the charge of fleeing and I never got roughed up when I pulled over.
On another occasion my old chum Gerard, who I hadn't seen in well over a decade, took me to Malibu and we got pulled over because he had a DIY sovereign citizen license plate and no driver's license.
We ended up face down on the asphalt because Gerard jumped into the back of his van to fetch his copy of the Constitution which he felt authorized him to drive with no license and no valid plates.
Yeah, he'd changed a lot since I'd seen him last.
But who checks license plates on a car when you're getting a ride from a buddy??

But we didn't get shot.
And believe me, a sketchy guy with sketchy fake plates jumping into the back of a van and furiously rummaging around back there usually makes a cop's trigger finger very itchy because they assume (quite rightly) that the person is fetching A GUN.

So my point is, neither of us are BLACK, which is why both of us survived.

It hardly needs pointing out if it didn't happen to you on one or two police encounters, it won't happen to you "for a fact". Many black people could tell similar stories to yours. And many white people have been killed. Again, why doesn't your "for a fact" rule apply to Daniel Shaver?

I once tried to ask on this forum, why for example a Russian emigrant should be complex because of the culture of "white privilege" that is so desperately being imposed in the United States today...
I did not get an answer, or rather there was no clear one. In the United States, they are quite xenophobic towards Russians like me, and therefore a constructive dialogue does not work.
Therefore, I will ask another hypothetical question - there is such a Scandinavian people, the Sami. Google who doesn't know.
This people never participated in the Scandinavian expansion into Europe, because of the original warehouse could not build their own statehood in the entire history, because they did not participate in wars, did not keep slaves, and more often they themselves became victims of foreign expansion.
In the United States, these people will be considered white, only they have nothing to do with either slavery or segregation, but they will be under the yoke of a culture of general white repentance... and here's my question - why?

You aren't quite clear about the xenophobia toward you. But you could ask a lot of questions on those lines - white descendants today didn't have slaves, some black people in the US today aren't descended from US black people, and so on. To answer your question, they shouldn't be under a 'yoke', but as white people they don't get the discrimination black people would, which doesn't mean they should get 'blame'.

Citation was properly attributed.
No, it wasn't. By inserting comments in the middle of the quote, you would need to cite it twice, below each of the separated texts, or if the comments came from the cite your format is wrong. Anyway...
The point made in the article is correct. White supremacy isn't people in hoods, it's so much more. Perhaps you should inform yourself.

White people get active advantage. They get jobs and breaks and such.

What's the difference between less disadvantage and 'active' advantage? Getting a job is not an 'active' advantage as far as I can tell; someone was going to get the job, and in most cases there'll be dozens of white applicants rejected alongside anyone else. If a white person is hired over a similarly- or more-qualified asian person, that's discrimination/disadvantage against the asian person, not some kind of active advantage for the white.

In a perfect meritocracy (or a random system) we'd expect kids born into the bottom economic quintile to have a ~20% chance of being in the top quintile as adults and ~20% chance of remaining in the bottom. If white people enjoyed active advantages we might expect a slightly better chance of advancement at the expense of other groups. Instead, white people born into the bottom quintile have a 29% chance of remaining there (+9%), and only an 11% chance of reaching the top quintile (-9%).

Of course people from most other groups suffer even worse disadvantages, especially black people; astonishingly, black children born into the top quintile only have an 18% chance of remaining there (-2%), one of the most striking facts I've seen suggesting widespread active impediments against them overcoming even the enormous sticking power of wealth. But that's pretty much the point made by the OP and others; the problem is additional hindrances against black, native, latina etc. groups, not an 'active' advantage for white people. Justice is not making anything worse for white folks, rather that everyone should have it as good as white folks have it... and indeed better than poor white folks have it.

What's the difference between less disadvantage and 'active' advantage?

If you don't know anything about white privilege, which is obviously intentionally ignorant and racist, then why are you in a thread about it? Don't you think you should be reading?

No, it wasn't. By inserting comments in the middle of the quote, you would need to cite it twice, below each of the separated texts, or if the comments came from the cite your format is wrong. Anyway...
The point made in the article is correct. White supremacy isn't people in hoods, it's so much more. Perhaps you should inform yourself.
You didn't even look at the citation. That quote in the middle was part of the citation. It was not mine.
Pull it up and check it.
The citation was in fact properly attributed.

If you don't know anything about white privilege, which is obviously intentionally ignorant and racist, then why are you in a thread about it? Don't you think you should be reading?

*shrugs* I'm always willing to learn, always attempting despite my ignorant background to pull myself up by my intellectual bootstraps, so to speak, but sometimes it helps to have constructive input from enlightened folk with different perspectives.

Sadly it seems that folk like you and to a lesser extent Phys are determined to be the caricature of slogan-citing knee-jerk name-calling libruls conservatives love to raise up as poster-boys for their fear and ire :LOL:

*shrugs* I'm always willing to learn, always attempting despite my ignorant background to pull myself up by my intellectual bootstraps, so to speak, but sometimes it helps to have constructive input from enlightened folk with different perspectives.

Sadly it seems that folk like you and to a lesser extent Phys are determined to be the caricature of slogan-citing knee-jerk name-calling libruls conservatives love to raise up as poster-boys for their fear and ire :LOL:

Playing stupid and being intentionally ignorant to racist purpose is not "just asking questions". Who do you think you're fooling?

Playing stupid and being intentionally ignorant to racist purpose is not "just asking questions". Who do you think you're fooling?

I outlined a clear position contrary to yours, countering the single example of 'active' advantage you proposed and further providing economic data suggesting that white people as such in contemporary America do not receive 'active' advantages, merely less disadvantage. No-one ever said I was "just asking questions"; as far as I can tell that's a figment of your imagination, much like the 'racism' you think you're seeing. Unless you want to quote what exactly you think is racist about my post?

Only idiots deny white privilege so it's doing a great job. It's practically a sign that racists can wear. What more could we ask of a concept than to serve as a sign for racists to hold high and identify themselves for all to see. What better result?

To teach them? Don't make me laugh. Getting them to identify themselves is more than a concept can hope for.

Bravo, concept, bravo.

That's the most stupid shit I've read in a while.

What is "white privilege"? As I understand it, white privilege includes things like (1) not being viewed with suspicion by police, (2) getting job interviews or coop board approvals without anybody wondering weather you will be a "good fit" based on your skin color, (3) having a stable living arrangement while growing up, (4) going to better schools or having more professionally useful social networks from a young age. (Not all white people have these privileges, of course, it's a generalization).

Even this is overly broad, as it's not applicable in all areas or situations. You can be a white person as a minority in a local area and suffer many of the same issues as minorities do more commonly. In that sense, "majority privilege" is a better term, but even then, the absence of discrimination isn't a privilege, as you say later.

That said, we appear to have reached, if not a turning point, at least an inflection point in terms of public willingness to do something about race. So some may say that the recent focus on "white privilege" is achieving its goal. Maybe the only solution to get white people to act is to make them feel like less than innocent bystanders?

I'll have to disagree with you here. I think we are losing ground here, not gaining it. We are a powder keg on the verge of exploding.

Back
Top Bottom