• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is the building of new nuculer power plants a good idea.

Build new nuculer power plants?

• No.

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Yes, just not near me.

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Yes.

Votes: 28 80.0%
  • Other. (please explain)

Votes: 2 5.7%

• Total voters

The Mark

Sporadic insanity normal.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
I've read various articles about the construction of new nuculer power plants in the US.

I was curious as to what everyone here on DP thought about the subject.

To that end, I am posting this poll, hopefully to spark debate on the topic between those who think it is a good idea and those who do not.

Yes. Yes. A thousand times, yes.

Gte enrgy here or buy from terrorist nations ... I'll take the power made at home

Not near me, please. You can have as many nuclear plants as you like in America.
I hope, they are safe.

I personally think that it is a good idea, but one must realise that there are quite a few potential problems involved.

The one that bothers me the most is how they will despose of the radioactive waste from the plant.

Now, as far as I know the best way would be to launch it into the sun.

Of course, that might be a little expensive.

The Mark said:

Yes, this would be very expensive and pretty dangerous, too, because the rocket could explode during the launch.

Volker said:
Not near me, please. You can have as many nuclear plants as you like in America.
I hope, they are safe.

I've been living within 12 miles of a nuke plant my entire life. I have several relatives that work there. Never once considered it a problem or had a concern.

Your irrational fear of nuke plants is based in ignorance.

Volker said:
Yes, this would be very expensive and pretty dangerous, too, because the rocket could explode during the launch.

A nice tunnel system some 100 miles below the surface. This gets you below ground water and eliminates the chance of contamination. Course getting that deep may be a problem

Goobieman said:
I've been living within 12 miles of a nuke plant my entire life. I have several relatives that work there. Never once considered it a problem or had a concern.

Of course, it must be my ignorance. Probably there have never been accidents with nuke plants before. This is all made up by newspapers, right :roll:

Calm2Chaos said:
A nice tunnel system some 100 miles below the surface. This gets you below ground water and eliminates the chance of contamination. Course getting that deep may be a problem
Yes, this is what they do here, they have lime mines, there they place this material.
But it's not meant for eternity, they are still looking for a good location inside Germany.

Volker said:
Of course, it must be my ignorance. Probably there have never been accidents with nuke plants before. This is all made up by newspapers, right :roll:

Tell us what you know about how nuclear power plants operate, the various different designs there are, the dangers of those designs and their safety features.

One you do that, we'll judge your ignorance.

Goobieman said:

I live about 30 miles west of Harrisburg, PA.

I'm not all that scared of the local nuculer plant.

Goobieman said:
Tell us what you know about how nuclear power plants operate, the various different designs there are, the dangers of those designs and their safety features.

One you do that, we'll judge your ignorance.
I won't do your homework, this is the last thing I would do.

The Mark said:

Good for you.

Volker said:

Thats what I thought.
You don't have a clue. You see the word "nuclear" and get scared.

The Mark said:

MY nearby plant had the reactor vessel cap breached by a boric acid leak. The stainless pressure liner held everything in, but it was shut down for 3 years for repair.

And I'm not at all scared either.

The Mark said:
I personally think that it is a good idea, but one must realise that there are quite a few potential problems involved.

The one that bothers me the most is how they will despose of the radioactive waste from the plant.

This issue has been completely solved - the used material will be stored at the Yucca Mountain Nuclear Repository.

The nuclear power industry has been stalled for 20 years by the ecolooneys and other obstructionists. Nuclear power plants have operated for 60 years in the U.S. Know how many people have died during that time from a nuclear meltdown or similar event? A big, fat, perfectly round ZERO. Now's the time to gert the industry going again.

Volker said:

And what is the death toll from all nuclear plant accidents? Less than a hundred.

Volker said:

Hmm....I slept within a hundred feet of an operating nuclear reactor for years. Didn't hurt me a bit.

If you're going to specify in your poll the construction of new nuclear power plants, don't you think that you should learn something about them? You express concerns based on accidents in plants with obsolete designs.

A Chernobyl can't happen in reactors based on modern designs. Nor can a Three Mile Island (which didn't hurt anyone, btw). The old American reactors were based in large part on DOD research into mobile reactors for ship use. The constraints of that environment demanded high power densities, and small volumes, with water used as the cooling and the moderating medium for convenience. Chernobyl was a real museum piece and it shouldn't have been kept in operation as long as it was. A typical example of the failure of collectivist social planning, is all.

Modern reactors use a different moderation philosophy, and they employ much lower power densities that make cooling less problematical. Do your own homework and discover the truths about modern reactors. Ask UtahBill. He's in the industry still. Search out "pebble bed reactors", and air cooling on the web. General Atomics is a good source, too.

As for waste, we have two ideal sites for disposing wastes. The mid-ocean abyssal plains are a totally stable practically sterile environment where properly prepared cannisters of waste can sit patiently for millions of years without fear of disturbance. For some reason, developing secure waste facillities in sites were no one will be harmed by them is anathema to many anti-nuke activist, all of whom seem opposed to any method of disposal that would work and thus remove any validity from their only and strongest argument against nuclear power.

The other site we have is Yucca Mountain in Nevada, a solid hunk of granite hollowed out with cells for holding nuclear waste for millenia without threat of contamination of local ground water, and with the added benefit of having those wastes within reach if we come up with something useful to do with them.

At the same time, what are the benefits of nuclear power?

No greenhouse gas emissions.

No solid particulate emissions to the air.

No acid rain.

Reduced dependence on petroleum from foreign lands.

Depending on how many lawyers we send to the abyssal plains, we can greatly reduce the cost per megawatt hour electric to the consumer, a boost to the economy.

A renewed interest in the practical applications of technology could stimulate freshman applications at engineering schools.

The elimination of ignorance based fear from our technical decisions will improve all aspects of life.

Goobieman said:
Thats what I thought.
You don't have a clue. You see the word "nuclear" and get scared.
What you think about me is not important to me unless you can show it is based on facts.

Volker said:
When was the last nuclear plant made in America?...

What security concerns have been revised and corrected since then?...

Why are you nervous about a nuclear plant made in 2008 and not protesting against the ones made in 1975?...

BTW - as far as the poll, chalk up a "yes"...

For any perceived problems that are hypothetically thrown out here, the main question will always be...

"Do the positives outweigh the negatives?"...

Kandahar said:
And what is the death toll from all nuclear plant accidents? Less than a hundred.
I don't know the the exact number, but it may be around hundred. Thousands falled ill, but most of them could be cured, hundred thousands have been evacuated at the long run.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
Hmm....I slept within a hundred feet of an operating nuclear reactor for years. Didn't hurt me a bit.
Good to hear. We had an operating nuclear reactor at university and it didn't hurt me.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
If you're going to specify in your poll the construction of new nuclear power plants, don't you think that you should learn something about them? You express concerns based on accidents in plants with obsolete designs.
You can optimize security of power plants like you can optimize security of ships, air planes and cars. But with nuclear fission principle there is a risk in the end.

Scarecrow Akhbar said:
At the same time, what are the benefits of nuclear power?

No greenhouse gas emissions.

No solid particulate emissions to the air.

No acid rain.

Reduced dependence on petroleum from foreign lands.

Depending on how many lawyers we send to the abyssal plains, we can greatly reduce the cost per megawatt hour electric to the consumer, a boost to the economy.

A renewed interest in the practical applications of technology could stimulate freshman applications at engineering schools.

The elimination of ignorance based fear from our technical decisions will improve all aspects of life.
I know, there are benefits, but German governments decided not to build new nuclear power plants since Chernobyl accident, no matter, what design. There are remaining terms for nuclear power plants which are still in operation. Maybe a future government changes it's mind, when oil becomes more expensive, but at the moment, there are decisions and laws and they have been there for the last 25 years.

cnredd said:
When was the last nuclear plant made in America?...

What security concerns have been revised and corrected since then?...

Why are you nervous about a nuclear plant made in 2008 and not protesting against the ones made in 1975?...
I'm not protesting one of them, if I have the choice, I will live with the old one until it has reached its remaining term, but don't want a new one.

Back
Top Bottom