• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the Biden Administration to Blame for the Surging Opioid Crisis?

Not at this rate, which is the point.
Of course you would say that in your typical right winger blame a democrat for everything circle jerk, but of course as usual it is bullshit.

No one said the crisis is new, though fentanyl as the drug of choice is.

Fentanyl was invented in 1960. It's been around for a very long time.

Prince overdosed on fentanyl, and he had been using it for a very long time. Essentially, it's just another opioid, a powerful opioid, but still an opioid.

The article says that the illegal imports have surged and blames the surge on Biden administration border policies. That is not silly.

Yes, it is.

Drugs have been coming over the border for decades. This is nothing new. Blaming Biden for it just babbling MAGA bullshit.

People using more of a drug means that drug usage grows.
Availability has a lot to do with it. Demand increases to absorb the supply.

I advocate legalizing most drugs and treating addiction as a medical issue, even with hard drugs like heroin and meth. When they are legal you at least get quality control.

Fentanyl was invented in 1960. It's been around for a very long time.

Prince overdosed on fentanyl, and he had been using it for a very long time. Essentially, it's just another opioid, a powerful opioid, but still an opioid.
Is there a point? We already established that it had become a drug of choice fairly recently.

Yes, it is.
That reply is silly. It literally addresses nothing but claims to be definitive. It might as well be Agent J's dodge train.

Drugs have been coming over the border for decades. This is nothing new.
No one claimed otherwise. What is new is the volume.

Blaming Biden for it just babbling MAGA bullshit.
And the point flies over your head. That's the cold hard truth.

Availability has a lot to do with it. Demand increases to absorb the supply.
Maybe
I advocate legalizing most drugs and treating addiction as a medical issue, even with hard drugs like heroin and meth. When they are legal you at least get quality control.
I am not sure that is the right approach, but I also cannot recommend a good approach either since this is a complicated phenomenon that requires a lot of expertise.

It is established fact that Biden administration policies have allowed a vast increase in illegal border crossings. Indeed, ending the Stay-in-Mexico policy has been a major administration push. Have the illegal crossings also contributed to the surge in drug smuggling, particularly fentanyl? This right-leaning article tries to make the case though some of the logic is suspect.

Federal police at the nation's borders are making massive seizures, but they simply cannot wall off the United States from drug smugglers eager to flood every corner of the country with fentanyl "It's a constant problem," said Guadalupe H. Ramirez, U.S. Customs and Border Protection’s director of field operations for the Tucson, Arizona, region, adding that Mexican cartels "flood the port" knowing that despite what his officers manage to interdict, plenty will get past them.​
The surge has had fatal consequences. U.S. adults between the ages of 18 and 45 years old are more likely to die from consuming fentanyl than they are to die as the result of a car crash, the coronavirus, a heart attack, suicide, or a terrorist attack. Fentanyl overdoses were a driving force behind the record-high 100,000 overdose deaths last year.​
Clearly, prior to about 2015 fentanyl was not as significant. Some of this shift must be attributed to the conversion from opium and cocaine related drugs to manufactured ones. However, there does seem to be a tie between increased illegal human traffic and increased illegal drug traffic.

You can add this opinion piece from Greta van Susteren.

This is the dumbest hackery I've seen in quite a while. You might as well blame Biden because some dude dropped a hammer on his foot in MN.

Opioid crisis massively predates Biden's presidency and blew up during COVID, which...well.... do you remember when that blew up?

Yes. Biden is to blame as his intentional failure to enforce our southern borders is facilitating it.

Maybe

I am not sure that is the right approach, but I also cannot recommend a good approach either since this is a complicated phenomenon that requires a lot of expertise.
You cannot deregulate all drugs. Personal choice is one thing, but Rohypnol used as a roofie is something very different.

This is the dumbest hackery I've seen in quite a while.
This from someone who believes in Russia Collusion.

You might as well blame Biden because some dude dropped a hammer on his foot in MN.
The butterfly effect is a bit weak. Allowing a breakdown of border control is not that trivial.

Opioid crisis massively predates Biden's presidency and blew up during COVID, which...well.... do you remember when that blew up?
Except not. The surge occurred in 2021 after the border largely opened. See OP article for a graphic.

You never did care about facts.

Last edited:
I blame our desire to indulge. Less demand, less supply.

This is the dumbest hackery I've seen in quite a while. You might as well blame Biden because some dude dropped a hammer on his foot in MN.

It can't be Biden's fault. I've never even heard him mention fentanyl. The drug cartels in Mexico are running the border so why aren't we blaming them?

Back
Top Bottom