• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is The Bible Open To Interpretation?

Actually, the foundation of Christianity is in the doctrine of Original Sin. If mankind weren't all born bearing the guilt of the sin in the Garden of Eden there would be no need for redemption, no need for Christ to die to redeem that original sin. Christ the Redeemer is the whole reason for Christianity. It's the reason for Christ.
And that doctrine of Original Sin is why I can't be a Christian. I don't accept that guilt, I believe that learning (inventing?) the difference between good and evil was inevitable. It's just a parable about mankind moving from a primitive hunter-gatherer state of innocence to civilised agriculturalists.
Before original sin, mankind and all the animals were vegetarian.

Before original sin, mankind and all the animals were vegetarian.
Wow. Who knew?
So lions and tigers and bears evolved those teeth starting when Adam and Eve were evicted? Sharks and owls and rattlesnakes and all that sort too.
What a childish interpretation.

Then they that were in the ship came and worshipped him, saying, Of a truth thou art the Son of God. Matt. 14:33
Yes, and other translations say that they “showed him reverence” (NAB), “bowed down before him” (JB), “fell at his feet” (NE), “did obeisance to him” (NW)...none of those acts are worship...and did you notice what else Matthew 14:33 states..."thou art the Son of God"...not God but SON of God...

o·bei·sance
deferential respect.
a gesture expressing deferential respect, such as a bow or curtsy.

If so why are people leaving Christianity and converting to different religions?
That has nothing to do with what the Bible states, considering all those who do not worship Jehovah will be destroyed...

Yes, and other translations say that they “showed him reverence” (NAB), “bowed down before him” (JB), “fell at his feet” (NE), “did obeisance to him” (NW)...none of those acts are worship...and did you notice what else Matthew 14:33 states..."thou art the Son of God"...not God but SON of God...
I deny the existence of God.

What will your God do to me?

I deny the existence of God.

What will your God do to me?
He won't do anything to you, you'll die and there you'll remain for all eternity, with no chance of ever living again...non-existent...

He won't do anything to you, you'll die and there you'll remain for all eternity, with no chance of ever living again...non-existent...
So there isn't a hell?

Sure is...it's the grave/sheol/hades...

"The soul who sins is the one who will die." Ezekiel 18:4
So atheists and everyone else who doesn't worship the Christian God will go to hell?

That's a kind of Hindu belief. Hindus believe that we are each like a spark from a universal flame and after a series of birth, death and rebirth our karma leads us back to the source. But some, who are known as 'dying souls', just fade away.
It's a kind of attractive take on the subject.

So atheists and everyone else who doesn't worship the Christian God will go to hell?
Everyone who dies goes to hell...Jesus was in hell for 3 days, Jonah prayed to go to hell in order to relieve his suffering...

That's a kind of Hindu belief. Hindus believe that we are each like a spark from a universal flame and after a series of birth, death and rebirth our karma leads us back to the source. But some, who are known as 'dying souls', just fade away.
It's a kind of attractive take on the subject.
Sure beats eternal suffering in a burning hell...

Sure beats eternal suffering in a burning hell...
Yeah, well, pretty much anything would beat that. A kick in the ass with a frozen mukluk, a sharp stick in the eye, anything.
It illustrates the belief in several faiths that we are each more than the other creatures around us, that we each have a spark of the divine in us and how we nurture that spark or shove it aside decides our ultimate fate.

Everyone who dies goes to hell...Jesus was in hell for 3 days, Jonah prayed to go to hell in order to relieve his suffering...
What about people who worship your God?

Which is what the Protestants said about Catholics for decades.
And what other interpretations say about the Amish, and the Mormons, and the etc..........
The fact that there are so many denominations of Christianity is proof that there are many many interpretations of the bible.

Well, I dont think you know what you are talking about because I, for one, have never heard any Christian say anything against Amish beliefs, since the Amish have their roots in the Anabaptist beliefs, not in the JWs or Mormon cults. And I just posted that there were no Christian beliefs like the JWs or the Mormons, so your claim doesn't hold water.

What about people who worship your God?
Jehovah promises to resurrect His worshippers who have died or will die...then His purpose for mankind will be fulfilled...living forever on a paradise earth, as He purposed in the beginning...

Jehovah promises to resurrect His worshippers who have died or will die...then His purpose for mankind will be fulfilled...living forever on a paradise earth, as He purposed in the beginning...
And you unequivocally believe this why?

Thank you.

You just proved my point about the op question. The Bible can indeed be interpreted.

You just did, and I believe you are sincere but your interpretation is very different then the interpretations of so many other sincere Christians who tell me the Bible says their God will punish me to eternal torture and damnation in he'll for not worshipping him.

Thank you.

You just proved my point about the op question. The Bible can indeed be interpreted.

You just did, and I believe you are sincere but your interpretation is very different then the interpretations of so many other sincere Christians who tell me the Bible says their God will punish me to eternal torture and damnation in he'll for not worshipping him.
Yes, I sincerely believe what I'm telling you and I'll tell you why...it makes sense...there are no contradictions in the truth...Jehovah says His purpose for mankind will be fulfilled...nothing He says or promises will not come to be...

"So my word that goes out of my mouth will be.
It will not return to me without results,
But it will certainly accomplish whatever is my delight,
And it will have sure success in what I send it to do." Isaiah 55:11

Jesus was supposed to be there for 3 days, but He decided he'd had enough after a day and a half and took off early.

Well, I dont think you know what you are talking about because I, for one, have never heard any Christian say anything against Amish beliefs, since the Amish have their roots in the Anabaptist beliefs, not in the JWs or Mormon cults. And I just posted that there were no Christian beliefs like the JWs or the Mormons, so your claim doesn't hold water.
LOL
You are only proving my point.
Because YOUR interpretation of the bible is what it is, therefore others interpretations have to be wrong or misguided.

Still waiting.

I'm am asking you to explain what YOU think will happen to me for denying God.

Are you unwilling or unable to answer?

Does your answer embarass you?
Hell is your destiny without Christ.

Back
Top Bottom