• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is the Abortion Issue Overplayed in SCOTUS discussion?

How important is the abortion issue when looking at Supreme Court nominees?

• The importance of the abortion issue is exaggerated.

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • A nominee's stance on abortion is important and it's good that we place so much emphasis on it.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Complicated response (please explain)

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

Connecticutter

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
As a pro-choice Alito supporter, I believe that the abortion issue is incredibly overplayed with respect to the supreme court. I think there are so many more important issues involved here, including checks and balances, eminent domain, and the role of the constitution in limiting government.

I don't think that it would be a national tragedy if Roe v. Wade were overturned. That would just allow states to ban abortion, but it would not require states to ban abortion, and I think there are benefits from diversity of state policies on this issue. That being said, Roe can't be overturned even with Alito.

On the other hand, abortion may be your major concern. Whether you are pro-life or pro-choice, you might look at a candidates view on abortion as the major factor in deciding whether you like a supreme court justice or nominee.

I'm pro-choice and against Roe v Wade. This issue is ridiculously overplayed, to the point of not even talking about any other issues when debating a SCOTUS nominee.

Most definately it is. I mean, neither side has definitive scientific proof for their side, so no one really knows who is right. It wouldn't be a tragedy either way for abortion. There are a lot more important issues in my mind that deal with judgements affecting many more people. Abortion decisions only affect a narrow range of people.

There's so many single-issue people out there that make their political decisions based on only one issue. That's wrong in my opinion...

Hornburger said:
Most definately it is. I mean, neither side has definitive scientific proof for their side, so no one really knows who is right. It wouldn't be a tragedy either way for abortion. There are a lot more important issues in my mind that deal with judgements affecting many more people. Abortion decisions only affect a narrow range of people.

There's so many single-issue people out there that make their political decisions based on only one issue. That's wrong in my opinion...

I agree.

If possible judges are to be judged by political issues, they ought to at least be judged by issues that effect most of the population, with lesser concerns playing a secondary role.

Yes. I didn't think the question needed to be asked, let alone made into a poll.

The Real McCoy said:
Yes. I didn't think the question needed to be asked, let alone made into a poll.

I see now that you are right. However, I have run into people who think that abortion is the main issue. I also see a lot of people on TV saying the same thing, so I would assume that there are people out there who believe this. I guess not. We're probably done.

Personally, I'm much more concerned with his stance on Kelo v. New London.

It's not a matter of whether you are for or against legal abortion; it's a matter of whether or not the candidate will uphold the laws of this country and pay more attention to legal precedent than to his own personal values.

Everything I've read on Alito suggests he fits the bill.

If we want to maintain legal abortions in this country, we need to quit filibustering Supreme Court nominees and start persuading our State legislatures not to pass laws against it.

No president knows what a Man will do once he's on the Supreme court. It's a toss up. So, getting all hysterical about it like the democrats do is useless.

We should find out real soon on how the new make up of the SCOTUS will vote becasue very shortly the Partial Birth Abortion law that was thrown out byu the radical 9th Circuit court will be on the docket.........I predict right now by a 5-4 verdict the law will be upheld....

There will also be a case very soon challenging Roe V Wade in that South Dakota has a bill on their docket to ban all abortions..................It will be curious to see how that one comes out..............Right now I am pretty sure that there are 4 votes to overturn......They are Scallia, Thomas, Roberts and Alito..........Kennedy is the swing vote now and I have no clue how he will vote..........

Stay tuned...........

Navy Pride said:
We should find out real soon on how the new make up of the SCOTUS will vote becasue very shortly the Partial Birth Abortion law that was thrown out byu the radical 9th Circuit court will be on the docket.........I predict right now by a 5-4 verdict the law will be upheld....

There will also be a case very soon challenging Roe V Wade in that South Dakota has a bill on their docket to ban all abortions..................It will be curious to see how that one comes out..............Right now I am pretty sure that there are 4 votes to overturn......They are Scallia, Thomas, Roberts and Alito..........Kennedy is the swing vote now and I have no clue how he will vote..........

Stay tuned...........

I think that Kennedy voted to uphold Roe v. Wade. Right now, the vote would still be 5-4 in favor of Roe even if Roberts and Alito dissent. However, partial birth abortion and some periferal (sp?) decisions may go the other way.

Connecticutter said:
As a pro-choice Alito supporter, I believe that the abortion issue is incredibly overplayed with respect to the supreme court. I think there are so many more important issues involved here, including checks and balances, eminent domain, and the role of the constitution in limiting government.

Of course pro-choice people think that way. They now have the law on their side, and the more the issue fades away, the more likely things will stay the way they like them. You think its overplayed with regard to the USSC for essentially the same type of reason that southerners thought too much was said about segregation in the 1950s.

The other issues are important too, and ALL should be dealt with, including Roe v. Wade, the Plessy v. Ferguson of its era.

alphamale said:
Of course pro-choice people think that way. They now have the law on their side, and the more the issue fades away, the more likely things will stay the way they like them. You think its overplayed with regard to the USSC for essentially the same type of reason that southerners thought too much was said about segregation in the 1950s.

The other issues are important too, and ALL should be dealt with, including Roe v. Wade, the Plessy v. Ferguson of its era.

I agree that Roe v. Wade might have been a bad ruling that needs to be overturned. I could certainly live in a country where this was left up to the states. A lot of pro-choice individuals will automatically discount Alito from consideration because of his views on abortion (he so-called litmis test). I don't think that this is the way to go.

I'm not sure how I would have interpreted things In the 1950s. I think I would have looked at a nominee's overall qualifications, and if I thought that a nominee was going to go to the supreme court to uphold the consitution, and not as tool to protect segregation then I would support them.

Hornburger says,”I mean, neither side has definitive scientific proof for their side, so no one really knows who is right.”

Hogwash.

This isn’t true at all. Our medical community does tell us a lot about fetal development. Medical science tells us that "the heart of the human fetus begins to form 18 days after conception. There is a measurable heart beat 21-24 days after conception. This is only 7-10 days after a women would expect to begin her menses. Since most women have cycles that can vary by this amount, they do not discover they are pregnant until after this point. Therefore, all abortions stop a beating heart, even "early" abortions. The human brain begins to form on day 23 and is formed enough to produce brain waves by 6 weeks, which means that abortion destroys a functioning human brain." (Heart Development at the Loyola University Chicago web site
"Life Before Birth" Life Magazine Educational Reprint 27, April 30, 1965, page 6) and (Moore, K. and T.V.N. Persaud. 1998. The Developing Human: Clinically Oriented Embryology (6th ed.), W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia.)

THIS INFORMATION IS FACT. So for you to say that there is no proof is ridiculous and shows you just have not read much about the development of the fetus or researched enough to know what information science has told us.

We know what doctors find when they do an abortions. Most find human body parts. FACT

If women had to examine the results of their abortions, there would be a lot fewer abortions in the world. And as long as the fetus is refered to as only "blob of tissue" like many on here refer to the fetus, abortion will continue to be widely practiced. This is why abortion advocates oppose any attempts to provide women with scientific, unbiased information on fetal development.
So the masses remain uneducated about this issue. They like you ignore the factual scientific evidence that proves abortion is murder.

What would you call it if you stopped a beating heart?

You tell me if it is a FACT that when you stop a living creatures heart, death occurs?

No one realy calls liberal democrats on their stupidity. During the Alito hearings the Liberals kept pushing Alito to say " Roe V wade" was settled law. They wanted to make precident sacrosanct.If Former decisions were scarosanct we would still have Segragation ! How about the Supreme court decision upholding the internment of Japanese Americans . That is still on the books is that, settled law!

doughgirl said:
Hornburger says,”I mean, neither side has definitive scientific proof for their side, so no one really knows who is right.”

Hogwash.

This isn’t true at all. Our medical community does tell us a lot about fetal development. Medical science tells us that "the heart of the human fetus begins to form 18 days after conception. There is a measurable heart beat 21-24 days after conception. This is only 7-10 days after a women would expect to begin her menses. Since most women have cycles that can vary by this amount, they do not discover they are pregnant until after this point. Therefore, all abortions stop a beating heart, even "early" abortions. The human brain begins to form on day 23 and is formed enough to produce brain waves by 6 weeks, which means that abortion destroys a functioning human brain." (Heart Development at the Loyola University Chicago web site
"Life Before Birth" Life Magazine Educational Reprint 27, April 30, 1965, page 6) and (Moore, K. and T.V.N. Persaud. 1998. The Developing Human: Clinically Oriented Embryology (6th ed.), W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia.)

THIS INFORMATION IS FACT. So for you to say that there is no proof is ridiculous and shows you just have not read much about the development of the fetus or researched enough to know what information science has told us.

We know what doctors find when they do an abortions. Most find human body parts. FACT

If women had to examine the results of their abortions, there would be a lot fewer abortions in the world. And as long as the fetus is refered to as only "blob of tissue" like many on here refer to the fetus, abortion will continue to be widely practiced. This is why abortion advocates oppose any attempts to provide women with scientific, unbiased information on fetal development.
.So the masses remain uneducated about this issue. They like you ignore the factual scientific evidence that proves abortion is murder

What would you call it if you stopped a beating heart?

You tell me if it is a FACT that when you stop a living creatures heart, death occurs?
Frankly, I don't care. Besides, you are a biassed source. I'd rather get my information from someone who is credible and objective. Anyway, there's more to politics to just abortion, and abortion is quite down on my list because of how little it affects people.

So chill.

Are they still pushing that silly, stupid lie about brainwaves before the 26th week of pregnancy? And from a source about the HEART, none the less? :roll:

I will not chill.

You said, “Frankly, I don't care. Besides, you are a biased source. I'd rather get my information from someone who is credible and objective. Anyway, there's more to politics to just abortion, and abortion is quite down on my list because of how little it affects people.”

Oh... it is most obvious that you do not care. You are right about that.

Your pro-death, pro-abortion thats your bias........

doughgirl said:
I will not chill.

Oh... it is most obvious that you do not care. You are right about that.

Your pro-death, pro-abortion thats your bias........
Yeah, I don't, because I'm not affected by abortion. At all. I don't see why I should be so heavily concerned with something that has no bearing on the vast majority of the population. But I shouldn't say I don't care AT ALL. I am interested enough to look into the issue and see what SHOULD be done. However I, unlike you it seems like, know that there are some vastly more important issues than this little one.

And I don't understand why all of you abortion people are so quick to judge people. I am not a pro-deather, so jesus christ, listen before you speak. You guys talk talk talk but don't even bother to listen to the other side, or even your own side for goodness sakes. I want to tax abortion clinics so that we get money and make the practice much rarer. So actually I'm on your side..There are just many more issues than concern me, so abortion is pretty low on my list.

As for the issue of whether or not of if it is murder, I would need to get the facts from an unbiased, objective source (which means, not you) lol. Only then will I be more sure of my position. I do have a position, but it is only an idea for now because of my lack of knowledge in the field of biology. Maybe when I get bored I will more thoroughly research the issue, but from what I've heard, there is no proof on the issue (perhaps I am mistaken, though)

But in any case...I hope you realize that there is much more to politics than just this issue, and many more issues have a bigger impact on your life. But I don't make your decisions. I just find it ridiculous that there are so many single-issue people (such as yourself, doughgirl) that blindly want officials elected based on their opinions on one, and only one, issue.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom