• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is the 2020 election really about President Donald Trump?

Torus34

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
It's difficult to remember how far back we have to go to find a day when a site such as MSNBC or Fox News did not have at least one story about now-President Donald Trump. The impression one gets these days, with but 8 weeks to go to Election Day 2020, is that the entire nation revolves about what he says and does. Many words are said and written about him, some good and some bad. But when we ask the question 'Why?', we move into another realm entirely; one in which President of the United States of America Donald Trump becomes, in effect, the symbol of a movement. President Trump maps nicely on this movement in the same way that the Stars and Stripes maps onto the United States of America.

If the above premise resonates with what you have observed, your questions become, 'What movement? Why has it formed? What are its goals?" These three questions are sufficient to form the structure of a book. Given the format of this site, I can merely present a pencil sketch of a small segment of the material.

Let's start with a quote attributed to the late Mahatma Mohandas Gandhi. "Whatever you do for me but without me, you do to me." For many Americans, this describes their resentment of our government, specifically at the federal level. It's seen in such comments as "Why do illegal aliens get free medical care?" For those writing such posts, the actions of the government seem unrelated to the 'will of the people'.

This is not to be easily dismissed. Our federal Constitution, as originally written, was written by elitists and for elitists. Voting, that highly 'democratic' action by the people, was highly restricted, including primarily land owners. Even today, the popular vote is skewed in a number of ways when the nation selects its standard bearer or, as indicated, the standard itself. 'One man, one vote' is a fiction.

That's enough for a start, nu? Think again about that quote: "Whatever you do for me but without me, you do to me." Based upon your own observations, does it relate to the folks who attend rallies for President Donald Trump?

Regards, stay safe 'n well. Remember the Big 3: masks, hand washing and physical distancing.

Last edited:
A small aside, if I may. The willingness of the supporters of President of the United States of America Donald Trump to set aside -- ignore, if you please -- his personal failings is perhaps explained by the above premise. Few if any of us would pay heed to whether an American flag is faded or tattered. It's the Platonic ideal 'reality' it represents that matters, not its expression as a single imperfect example.

Regards, stay safe 'n well.

PS: I'll not bother to respond to any posts which center on bashing the right or the left. That's not the thrust of this thread.

It's difficult to remember how far back we have to go to find a day when a site such as MSNBC or Fox News did not have at least one story about now-President Donald Trump. The impression one gets these days, with but 8 weeks to go to Election Day 2020, is that the entire nation revolves about what he says and does. Many words are said and written about him, some good and some bad. But when we ask the question 'Why?', we move into another realm entirely; one in which President of the United States of America Donald Trump becomes, in effect, the symbol of a movement. President Trump maps nicely on this movement in the same way that the Stars and Stripes maps onto the United States of America.

If the above premise resonates with what you have observed, your questions become, 'What movement? Why has it formed? What are its goals?" These three questions are sufficient to form the structure of a book. Given the format of this site, I can merely present a pencil sketch of a small segment of the material.

Let's start with a quote attributed to the late Mahatma Mohandas Gandhi. "Whatever you do for me but without me, you do to me." For many Americans, this describes their resentment of our government, specifically at the federal level. It's seen in such comments as "Why do illegal aliens get free medical care?" For those writing such posts, the actions of the government seem unrelated to the 'will of the people'.

This is not to be easily dismissed. Our federal Constitution, as originally written, was written by elitists and for elitists. Voting, that highly 'democratic' action by the people, was highly restricted, including primarily land owners. Even today, the popular vote is skewed in a number of ways when the nation selects its standard bearer or, as indicated, the standard itself. 'One man, one vote' is a fiction.

That's enough for a start, nu? Think again about that quote: "Whatever you do for me but without me, you do to me." Based upon your own observations, does it relate to the folks who attend rallies for President Donald Trump?

Regards, stay safe 'n well. Remember the Big 3: masks, hand washing and physical distancing.

That quote is something African Americans would use. It's clearly THEY that the upcoming election is all about.

'One man, one vote' is not a fiction. It just applies at the state level...not the national level. This is by design.

The "movement" you mention can be summed up by two catch phrases: "America First" and "Economic security is national security".

All of the opposition to that movement can be summed up by one catch phrase: "There are TRILLIONS at stake".

So...to answer your thread title question: Yes. The 2020 election really IS about President Donald Trump.

That quote is something African Americans would use. It's clearly THEY that the upcoming election is all about.

Hi!

I respectfully disagree. I believe that the popularity of President of the United States of America Donald Trump with his loyal followers rests upon something broader than racism.

Last edited:
'One man, one vote' is not a fiction. It just applies at the state level...not the national level. This is by design.

The "movement" you mention can be summed up by two catch phrases: "America First" and "Economic security is national security".

All of the opposition to that movement can be summed up by one catch phrase: "There are TRILLIONS at stake".

So...to answer your thread title question: Yes. The 2020 election really IS about President Donald Trump.

Ironically, among the greatest threat to national security is Trumpism. Again, not hyperbole.

DHS Just Finally Recognized White Nationalism as a Major Terror Threat

for me, it's about voting against him and every one of his enablers who is on the ballot that i'll cast.

Yet another book is being published which contains statements which cast President of the United States of America Donald Trump is a less than flattering light. And again there will be a hue and cry from all of the regular sources.

Yet, if my contention that President Trump is essentially the symbol of a movement, and that movement is represented his loyal followers who are at bottom dissatisfied with government, We'll see little if any change in the popularity of the president as evidenced by polls and compilations of polls.

A
PS: I'll not bother to respond to any posts which center on bashing the right or the left. That's not the thrust of this thread.

well this is gonna break everyones heart

arrogance much? lol

well this is gonna break everyones heart

arrogance much? lol

Hi!

Hardly. I'm just fed up with meaningless palaver which neither explores nor advances a presented argument. I'm perfectly capable of telling someone that [democrats/republicans/conservatives/liberals -- pick one,] are stupid fools. But what's to be gained by so doing? The passions of youth are rather well attenuated at age 86. A somewhat calmer demeanor prevails.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom