• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Texas' Military Reputation Overrated?

Tigerace117

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Texas has a bit of a reputation as a military powerhouse, thanks in large part to the brief time they spent as an independent country. But does the myth really live up to the hype.

I've been thinking about this since the secession thread, and I don't think so. Here's my case.

A. The Texans broke away from Mexico. Now, no offense to Mexicans--- they are pretty solid on the defense--- but they aren't exactly Wehrmacht caliber foes. In addition, Texas is in El Norte, and Mexico City at the time couldn't even secure the loyalties of Mexicans, much less a bunch of transplanted Yankees in a land where Mexican power projection was limited at best.

B. The Mexican commander, Santa Anna, was a buffon. He's not making anybody's top ten generals list.

C. The Mexican Army was vastly overconfident, to the point of taking a siesta mid campaign and letting the rebels annihilate them. Plus, they pissed off the Yankees with the needless brutality at the Alamo and Golidad(thanks Santa Anna!)

D. In the next big war, aka the Civil War, a grand total of three or four battles were fought on Texan soil before Texas surrendered. Hardly impressive.

Texas has a bit of a reputation as a military powerhouse, thanks in large part to the brief time they spent as an independent country. But does the myth really live up to the hype.

I've been thinking about this since the secession thread, and I don't think so. Here's my case.

A. The Texans broke away from Mexico. Now, no offense to Mexicans--- they are pretty solid on the defense--- but they aren't exactly Wehrmacht caliber foes. In addition, Texas is in El Norte, and Mexico City at the time couldn't even secure the loyalties of Mexicans, much less a bunch of transplanted Yankees in a land where Mexican power projection was limited at best.

B. The Mexican commander, Santa Anna, was a buffon. He's not making anybody's top ten generals list.

C. The Mexican Army was vastly overconfident, to the point of taking a siesta mid campaign and letting the rebels annihilate them. Plus, they pissed off the Yankees with the needless brutality at the Alamo and Golidad(thanks Santa Anna!)

D. In the next big war, aka the Civil War, a grand total of three or four battles were fought on Texan soil before Texas surrendered. Hardly impressive.

Why don't you come down here and find out

Come%20and%20Take%20it.jpg

LOOK at who are the TEXANS and who are the mexicans and then check IQ's and history of winning wars

Remember Teddy roosvelt in late 1800's finally stopped the spainish at cuba..

Remember it was the tenneseans .. davy crockett,,,, sam hoouston and many others going to texas that helped make the victory

who were these people?? Ths ones with the most white blood were the texans and tenneseans and the ones with less white blood was the mexicans and the spanish and cubans in CUBA.... San JUAN HILL... check prof lynn the IQ expert to know why this happned

LOOK at who are the TEXANS and who are the mexicans and then check IQ's and history of winning wars

Remember it was the tenneseans .. davy crockett,,,, sam hoouston and many others going to texas that helped make the victory

who were these people?? Ths ones with the most white blood were the texans and tenneseans and the ones with less white blood was the mexicans and the spanish and cubans in CUBA.... San JUAN HILL... check prof lynn the IQ expert to know why this happned

Ok Stormfront:roll:

You don't know what a cannon looks like and you are going to question the Texas military abilities

Number one, that's a pretty ****ty picture of a cannon. No wheels, random ridges all along the barrel.....

Number two, man has mastered flight. We can bomb your cannons all we want.

That's a cannon?

And who the hell uses a cannon in 2016?

As a side note. Santa Anna is one of the most interesting character in history.

At various times he was a war hero, a scapegoat, a president, the man who defeated the Spanish, the man who defeated the French, the man who destroyed the Alamo, a butcher, a saint, the man who built homes for the displaced, a president again, exiled, redeemed and who had not one, but two state funerals.....

He was the original "Most interesting Man in the World".......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonio_López_de_Santa_Anna

Wow... Just.... Wow....

Number one, that's a pretty ****ty picture of a cannon. No wheels, random ridges all along the barrel.....

Showing those military chops again. A cannon doesn't have wheels although it is often mounted on them nor does it need "random ridges"

Number two, man has mastered flight. We can bomb your cannons all we want.

Who is "we"? You aren't going to be flying anything.

Texans apparently.
Does it come with a musketeer, too? :lamo

It's now clear to me why for all the braggadocio, they've never attempted secession.

Even the Quebecois have more 'testicular fortitude'! :2razz:

That's a cannon?

And who the hell uses a cannon in 2016?

hqdefault.jpg

Well here's an updated one but I figured since the OP was talking about the Texas revolution they would get the reference with the flag. I clearly underestimated the ignorance of the OP.

hqdefault.jpg

Well here's an updated one but I figured since the OP was talking about the Texas revolution they would get the reference with the flag. I clearly underestimated the ignorance of the OP.
Still was a funky looking cannon though ...

None of that matters, or is applicable, to what exists today. There are bunch of good 'ol boys that know how to shoot very well. There is the Texas National Guard but they really wouldn't be worth much as a conventional unit vs the rest of the U.S. military.

I'm not sure what the point of the thread is, to tell the truth. Like...could Texas beat the rest of the country? What are we looking at here?

None of that matters, or is applicable, to what exists today. There are bunch of good 'ol boys that know how to shoot very well. There is the Texas National Guard but they really wouldn't be worth much as a conventional unit vs the rest of the U.S. military.

I'm not sure what the point of the thread is, to tell the truth. Like...could Texas beat the rest of the country? What are we looking at here?

BUT a good bit of texans are long term military men... also understand if there is a secession it will be conservatives separating from liberals and it is the conservatives that ARE THE MEN.. so not contest when they decide to secede.. conservatives all over the other states WILL support

Idk for a flag designed 180 years ago seems pretty close

Cannon%20that%20fired%20first%20shot%20in%20Texas%20War%20for%20Independence-L.jpg

But it doesn't have the keychain loop the one in the picture has.
I guess you'd better be standing beside it when you fire it...

BUT a good bit of texans are long term military men... also understand if there is a secession it will be conservatives separating from liberals and it is the conservatives that ARE THE MEN.. so not contest when they decide to secede.. conservatives all over the other states WILL support
Texas has no conservative women in Texas?

Back
Top Bottom