• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is Sputnik V the best vaccine?

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
At less than $10 a shot, the relatively low-cost vaccine touted by Russia’s leadership has rapidly gained approval in developing countries as many regions experience second and third waves of the virus. Among the countries that have approved it for use are Argentina, Bolivia, Serbia, Hungary, the UAE, Iran, Iraq, Lebanon, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Myanmar, Pakistan, Kazakhstan, the Republic of the Congo, Vietnam and the Philippines. Russia’s health authorities declared its efficacy rate at 91.6%.

The Lancet in February reported the Russian jab’s high efficacy rate in late stage clinical trials, writing that Sputnik V’s “vaccine efficacy, based on the numbers of confirmed COVID-19 cases from 21 days after the first dose of vaccine, is reported as 91.6%, and the suggested lessening of disease severity after one dose is particularly encouraging for current dose-sparing strategies.”

Russia already is close to delivering the Sputnik light as well, the one-shot version of the vaccine.

The results have been very promising and the vaccine is very cost-effective. I think there needs to be some sort of global consensus. Countries like Brazil and India will benefit a lot from Sputnik V and Sputnik Light.

I'm very pro vaccine and have had my first Biontech / Moderna shot waiting on the second. However, I would NEVER take a vaccine from the Russian or Chinese government.

They're two totally untrustworthy pieces of shit and it's the equivalent of buying a vaccine in a back alleyway.

I think poor countries have already agreed with Russia on the supply of the vaccine.
However, inside Russia, there is now a serious internal struggle with the pharmaceutical oligarchs, this is not done publicly and no journalists will be allowed close to sniff out.
Some of my colleagues naively believe that the state in this difficult era of the pandemic is nationalizing the pharmaceutical industry, I believe otherwise, a raider takeover and transfer to the more reliable and loyal oligarchs of the Kremlin.
Apparently, the current oligarchs do not feel sorry for either the West or the Russian opposition, and therefore there is no talk about it... However, this struggle affects the production of the vaccine itself, the production volumes and they are much lower than they should be.

I think poor countries have already agreed with Russia on the supply of the vaccine.
However, inside Russia, there is now a serious internal struggle with the pharmaceutical oligarchs, this is not done publicly and no journalists will be allowed close to sniff out.
Some of my colleagues naively believe that the state in this difficult era of the pandemic is nationalizing the pharmaceutical industry, I believe otherwise, a raider takeover and transfer to the more reliable and loyal oligarchs of the Kremlin.
Apparently, the current oligarchs do not feel sorry for either the West or the Russian opposition, and therefore there is no talk about it... However, this struggle affects the production of the vaccine itself, the production volumes and they are much lower than they should be.

Brazil badly needs Sputnik. I heard Bolsonaro spoke with Putin a couple of days ago, Ironically it was Trump's administration that told Bolsonaro not to accept Sputnik.

Back
Top Bottom