• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is "soft" repression more effective?

SDET

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
As someone who observes the Communists and salivates when their own tactics are used against them, perhaps right wing governments should take a cue from the Communist countries. Cuba has seemed to avoid international criticism, as has Red China by doing "express arrests". That means only arresting people for a short time, then saddling them with criminal records. When Communists can no long find work, get a loan, or rent an apartment because of a criminal record it creates an incentive to leave the country. It sounds like a far more effective approach to rid a country of Communists.

As someone who observes the Communists and salivates when their own tactics are used against them, perhaps right wing governments should take a cue from the Communist countries. Cuba has seemed to avoid international criticism, as has Red China by doing "express arrests". That means only arresting people for a short time, then saddling them with criminal records. When Communists can no long find work, get a loan, or rent an apartment because of a criminal record it creates an incentive to leave the country. It sounds like a far more effective approach to rid a country of Communists.

Well, yes. Soft repression, which I will shorten to the term "oppression" is extremely effective. And our country and its government was founded by men who wisely distrusted the arbitrary expression of governmental power for the benefit of the state over the people. Oppressive tactics like those used by China and Cuba, while they create a peaceable society, are immoral when used in those countries. They are just as immoral when used in this country. Even when used against Communists. We do not have to behave like Communists to beat Communists. We do not have to behave like fascists in order to defeat fascists.

Well, yes. Soft repression, which I will shorten to the term "oppression" is extremely effective. And our country and its government was founded by men who wisely distrusted the arbitrary expression of governmental power for the benefit of the state over the people. Oppressive tactics like those used by China and Cuba, while they create a peaceable society, are immoral when used in those countries. They are just as immoral when used in this country. Even when used against Communists. We do not have to behave like Communists to beat Communists. We do not have to behave like fascists in order to defeat fascists.

He is not really talking about government action as much as natural societal consequences, it seems.

He is not really talking about government action as much as natural societal consequences, it seems.

I am specifically referring to the best way for Brazil's President-elect to drive out the Communists. Imprisoning them could create too much of a backlash. Short term arrests coupled with a criminal record might be the best approach.

I am specifically referring to the best way for Brazil's President-elect to drive out the Communists. Imprisoning them could create too much of a backlash. Short term arrests coupled with a criminal record might be the best approach.

What are you talking about....imprisoning people for their political beliefs......criminalizing their political beliefs? No wonder we are going straight down the drain in this country.

If you are talking about how a country's judicial system handles things that actually belong in the category of a criminal offense, that is fine. If you are talking about criminalizing political opinion, I think that would be a bad move for any country and I would hope more countries would move away from that perspective, not toward it.

Before we get into a discussion of sedition, sedition and political opinion are wayyyyyyy not the same things.

What are you talking about....imprisoning people for their political beliefs......criminalizing their political beliefs? No wonder we are going straight down the drain in this country.

If you are talking about how a country's judicial system handles things that actually belong in the category of a criminal offense, that is fine. If you are talking about criminalizing political opinion, I think that would be a bad move for any country and I would hope more countries would move away from that perspective, not toward it.

Before we get into a discussion of sedition, sedition and political opinion are wayyyyyyy not the same things.

It's requires a virtuous people to have a free society. That ship has sailed. The first priority is for a nation to protect itself from people who want to raid the treasury at the ballot box.

And this is a tactic you approve of for use in the United States?

And this is a tactic you approve of for use in the United States?

Not for the time being. For me it's kind of a moot point. After 10 or 15 years, I don't see my self living in the United States. The US culture has become way too ill-tempered. I intend to eventually live in the most right wing Latin American country I can find. It wouldn't hurt my feelings at all to see a Marxist/Feminist hauled off in handcuffs.

Not for the time being. For me it's kind of a moot point. After 10 or 15 years, I don't see my self living in the United States. The US culture has become way too ill-tempered. I intend to eventually live in the most right wing Latin American country I can find. It wouldn't hurt my feelings at all to see a Marxist/Feminist hauled off in handcuffs.

If only all republicans took their desire for fascism to other countries instead of implementing it here in the US.

Back
Top Bottom