• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is Santorum too extreme?

A religious fundamentalist is extreme, by definition.

I do not know if he is too extreme, he is allowed his opinions and has the right to express them but should expect and respect that other people have very different opinions. If he makes outrageous statements he should expect opposition and comments.

There's the problem. He gets all fussy when people call him out for his statements.

Considering how he has a clear distaste for anyone who actually facts checks and uses Google, he's going to be getting real angry when people start pointing out his arguments have holes the size of the Andromeda Galaxy.

Yes he is. Cant put it more clear than that....

But go ahead and elect him as the GOP candidate... can only be fun to watch a candidate crash and burn...

10 Outrageous Things Rick Santorum Has Said - The Daily Beast

Few excerpts:

“In every society, the definition of marriage has not ever to my knowledge included homosexuality,” Santorum said. “That’s not to pick on homosexuality. It’s not, you know, man on child, man on dog, or whatever the case may be.”

“One of the things I will talk about, that no president has talked about before, is I think the dangers of contraception in this country,” Santorum said. “Many of the Christian faith have said, well, that’s OK; contraception is OK. It’s not OK. It’s a license to do things in a sexual realm that is counter to how things are supposed to be.”

I don’t want to make black people’s lives better by giving them somebody else’s money.

“Is anyone saying same-sex couples can’t love each other? I love my children. I love my friends, my brother. Heck, I even love my mother-in-law. Should we call these relationships marriage, too?”

There is no ‘Palestinian,’” Santorum said. “This is Israeli land.”

Santorum said gay marriage “is an issue just like 9/11. We didn’t decide we wanted to fight the war on terrorism because we wanted to. It was brought to us. And if not now, when? When the supreme courts in all the other states have succumbed to the Massachusetts version of the law?”

“The idea that the Crusades and the fight of Christendom against Islam is somehow an aggression on our part is absolutely anti-historical,” Santorum said. “And that is what the perception is by the American left, who hates Christendom.”

Gay marriage is terrorism, homosexuality is the same as bestiality, there is no Palestine, black people can't live without stealing, condoms are evil, and his opponents hate Jesus? Roofles.

Gay marriage is terrorism, homosexuality is the same as bestiality, there is no Palestine, black people can't live without stealing, condoms are evil, and his opponents hate Jesus? Roofles.

Adding one more to this list:

“I’m sure some of you have ancestors who were part of the greatest generation. Why were they the greatest generation?…They were the greatest generation because when their country needed them, at a time of great peril, they met the challenge,” Santorum said. “Your country needs you. It’s not as clear a challenge. Obviously, World War II was pretty obvious, but at some point, they knew.”

“We’re a hopeful people,” Santorum continued. “We think, ‘Well, you know, it’ll get better. Yeah, he’s a nice guy. I mean, it won’t be near as bad as what we think,” he continued.

“This will be okay, I mean, yeah, maybe he’s not the best guy after a while.’ After a while, you find out some things about this guy over in Europe who’s not so good of a guy after all,” Santorum said. “…Sometimes it’s not okay. It’ll be harder for this generation to figure it out. There’s no cataclysmic event,” he said.

Rick Santorum defends attacks on Obama

So we can add Obama is JUST LIKE HITLAR!!!11 to the list. The fact that he thinks this stuff is hilarious, but the fact that millions of people think he would be a good president is terrifying. We really need to improve education in this country.

Okay, read through the studies. Study one does, in fact, show females testing higher. That is, if they had the same size fingers as men. The bad part is, they don't. So, if they had the same size hands, females would have better motor skills, I will give you that.
Study two says there is a relatively small difference in men and women and never really said who was better at what. I took from that study they were more studying the actual test than the subjects.
Finally, do they still use these tests now? Not to undermine your investigative work, these tests were over 20 years old. There's gotta be a better way than pegs and boxes now lol. Perhaps a study of involving a flight simulator or something of that nature?

Here we go, someone else taking the Bible out of context. Many people who do not have a FULL understanding of the Bible do this. They think the Bible is a book of one liners and parables that can be minced and cut to fit their life. Sorry, but that's not how the book works. This particular passage he misquotes is Jesus speaking in parable to his disciples and explaining, basically, the more someone knows of Him, the more faithful they are required to be. The more they know, and the less faithful they are, the harsher the punishment if they don't follow the will of God. It has nothing to do with riches or possessions, as Obama eluded to.
I understand that the forum was the National Prayer Breakfast. So I won't go into the whole argument about using the Bible to push his political goals thing. The statement fit the circumstances. Many in the right wing media are calling for the left wing to condemn him like they do Santorum for using the Bible the way he does, but I disagree with that. They guys at the National Prayer Breakfast. What else is he going to talk about? My thing is, know what you're talking about before you say it. Anyone with a basic understanding of the Bible knows he's using this out of context. Below is the portion of the speech where he used it.
National Prayer Breakfast: President Obama’s speech transcript - The Washington Post

"And when I talk about shared responsibility, it's because I genuinely believe that in a time when many folks are struggling, at a time when we have enormous deficits, it's hard for me to ask seniors on a fixed income, or young people with student loans, or middle-class families who can barely pay the bills to shoulder the burden alone. And I think to myself, if I'm willing to give something up as somebody who's been extraordinarily blessed, and give up some of the tax breaks that I enjoy, I actually think that's going to make economic sense.
But for me as a Christian, it also coincides with Jesus's teaching that "for unto whom much is given, much shall be required."

Last edited:
There's the problem. He gets all fussy when people call him out for his statements.

Considering how he has a clear distaste for anyone who actually facts checks and uses Google, he's going to be getting real angry when people start pointing out his arguments have holes the size of the Andromeda Galaxy.

He's talking about Santorum bro. You know, the purpose of the thread? Get off it man, its old.

Many people who do not have a FULL understanding of the Bible do this.

Being that it is a rather vague writing with more twists and turns than the LOTR series... I know of no one who does. I know of many who claim to have a FULL understanding of the Bible but those, in general, don't seem to have a FULL understanding of Christ.

Let's consider where Santorum sits on social issues.

1. He has made it clear that he is opposed to women in the military engaging in combat.

2. He has stated that he will bring back "Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

3. He is opposed to contraception and to sexual education which teaches about contraceptives.

4. He has stated that women working outside the home undermines the traditional family.

5. He has argued that people do not have a right to consensual sex within their own homes and such a right undermines the moral fabric of society.

6. He supports a federal constitutional amendment to define marriage as between a man and a woman.

How can someone with such far right views on social issues expect to win independent votes and conservative democrat votes? Such views are also likely to rile up Obama's disenfranchised base if he were to win the nomination. I can respect that Santorum is a traditional Catholic, but trying to make this election about social issues like contraception and gay marriage would be a big mistake.
The fact that Santorum is currently polling in the high 30's, 10 points ahead of Romney, speaks volumes about how far to the right the Republican Party has shifted.

Whatever "red meat" themes that play well to the conservative faithful to obtain the Republican nomination, will only further alienate the moderate "swing vote" that will determine the outcome of the General Election!

Last edited:
too extreme? No, not to devoute republicans. Too extreme to be elected? Yes, most likely.

If Santorum is to run for president than they can kiss certain states goodbye before even beginning, they can say bye bye to California, Oregon, Washington, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Maine, New Hampshire, New York, Vermont, Massachusets, Rhode Island, Conneticut, Vermont, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, DC and Hawaii. That is a grand total of 226 electoral votes.

If you add to that, Florida which went big for Romney and only gate Santorum 13.4%, Pennsylvania which has gone democrat in the last 5 elections and where Santorum lost the senate race in 2006 and New Mexico (which only Kerry managed to loose against Bush, all other elections since 1992 went democrat) you get President Obama for 4 more years because those states added to the other 226 electoral votes give Obama 280 electoral votes.

He could even loose some of the states he won last time (Nevada, Colorado, Iowa, Indiana, Ohio, Virginia and North Carolina) but it is doubtful Obama would loose them all.

I stand by what I said in the first line of this post, for a good part of the republican party he is not too extreme, but for all but a few democrats and large portions of independents I think he is far too extreme.

In a swing state like Florida which is not extremely republican or democrat it may depend on getting the Jewish and Latino vote out, and again, Santorum does not stack up favorably there either.

Being that it is a rather vague writing with more twists and turns than the LOTR series... I know of no one who does. I know of many who claim to have a FULL understanding of the Bible but those, in general, don't seem to have a FULL understanding of Christ.

Good point. Full was a bad word to use. The meaning I was looking for was that a lot people disect the Bible into small parts instead of a whole body of work. By saying full understanding, I was implying that many people that misquote the Bible make this mistake. The Old Testament is a very hard thing to understand, fully concur on that one.

Good point. Full was a bad word to use. The meaning I was looking for was that a lot people disect the Bible into small parts instead of a whole body of work. By saying full understanding, I was implying that many people that misquote the Bible make this mistake. The Old Testament is a very hard thing to understand, fully concur on that one.

It is hard to understand. The funny thing is, when you ask protestant Christian political folk "why don't you abide by X from the Old Testament?" they will respond that the New Testament trumps the Old Testament so therefore no need to abide by the Old Testament on that... only to soon after delve into the Old Testament for the sake of bolstering a political belief from the very same book they just rejected.

It is hard to understand. The funny thing is, when you ask protestant Christian political folk "why don't you abide by X from the Old Testament?" they will respond that the New Testament trumps the Old Testament so therefore no need to abide by the Old Testament on that... only to soon after delve into the Old Testament for the sake of bolstering a political belief from the very same book they just rejected.

I hate that too. Christ's death, burial, and resurrection absolved us of all the rules and pageantry of being a Christian, like in the Old Testament. The Holy Spirit took the place of the rules because you feel the conviction for particular sins inside instead or reading a rule book. For instance, it says in the Old Testament Christians aren't allowed to get tattoos. Doesn't say that in the NT. Now, its a matter of personal conviction. Good point.

I hate that too. Christ's death, burial, and resurrection absolved us of all the rules and pageantry of being a Christian, like in the Old Testament. The Holy Spirit took the place of the rules because you feel the conviction for particular sins inside instead or reading a rule book. For instance, it says in the Old Testament Christians aren't allowed to get tattoos. Doesn't say that in the NT. Now, its a matter of personal conviction. Good point.

The Old Testament doesn't say a thing about Christians. :lol:

I am not American but if I can express my opinion, looking from the outside....I think Presidential candidates should not be extreme in his views and Santorum can be faulted here.

He is far too right of centre in my opinion.

I think he is too Liberal for Republicans to take him seriously. It's great though, Romney finally got what was coming for him. He's just plain fake.

I am not American but if I can express my opinion, looking from the outside....I think Presidential candidates should not be extreme in his views and Santorum can be faulted here.

He is far too right of centre in my opinion.

I think most non-Americans would agree with you. If only more americans agreed with you too we'd have a country we could be less embarrassed about this election season.

That being said, entertainment value is high this season.

Santorum is wrapped a bit too tight, "in 2003, he argued that the Supreme Court should not overturn state sodomy laws that ban homosexual sex and suggested that such a ruling would create a justification for bigamy, polygamy and incest. At one point, he even raised the specter of bestiality, using the phrase ''man on dog.''

Another thing I find curious about the man is, He and his wife gave birth to Gabriel who died approximately two hours after birth and took the deceased child home where the daughter Elizabeth cuddled the corpse and declared, "this is my baby brother".

I don't think Santorum is very bright. I don't think he is a leader either and I think his policies are ignorant and not even shy of moronic.

That being said, this is what I'll give Santorum... I think he is at least carrying the integrity of believing himself and not running around saying what he thinks people want to hear to advance himself. I give him credit for that. And that is far more than a Romney or a Gingrich can ever say.

Back
Top Bottom