• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is Santorum too extreme?

CriticalThought

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Let's consider where Santorum sits on social issues.

1. He has made it clear that he is opposed to women in the military engaging in combat.

2. He has stated that he will bring back "Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

3. He is opposed to contraception and to sexual education which teaches about contraceptives.

4. He has stated that women working outside the home undermines the traditional family.

5. He has argued that people do not have a right to consensual sex within their own homes and such a right undermines the moral fabric of society.

6. He supports a federal constitutional amendment to define marriage as between a man and a woman.

How can someone with such far right views on social issues expect to win independent votes and conservative democrat votes? Such views are also likely to rile up Obama's disenfranchised base if he were to win the nomination. I can respect that Santorum is a traditional Catholic, but trying to make this election about social issues like contraception and gay marriage would be a big mistake.

You might want to actually document where he said those with context so people can judge. I know that Santorum has clarified at least one of those.

And Obama isn't?

Well, considering he has continued every policy that GW Bush did and the only thing he campaigned on that he tried to implement, health care, was compromised all to hell, no, he isn't.

He should be running for mayor of Mayberry.

And Obama isn't?

Considering Obama is attacked by the far left for compromising too much with Republicans, no, he clearly isn't.

You might want to actually document where he said those with context so people can judge. I know that Santorum has clarified at least one of those.

Okey dokes.

Women in the military
Santorum: Women shouldn’t serve in combat - Army News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Army Times

Reinstating Don't Ask, Don't Tell
GOP Debate - Rick Santorum On Reinstating 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' - YouTube

Contraceptives and Women Working
Santorum’s provocative ideas on birth control, working women and more getting closer look - The Washington Post

No right to consensual sex
USATODAY.com - Excerpt from Santorum interview

Federal Constitutional Amendment
Santorum Defends Constitutional Amendment Invalidating Same-Sex Marriages, Christian News

with the right to privacy thing, it sounds like he wants to redo sodomy laws (which in many cases are on the books but forgotten).

I can't say I agree with him there, while I disagree with a lot of ways people have sex, its ultimately none of my business.

And Obama isn't?

His actions certainly are not extreme.

Now I have seen many conservatives on this forum argue from his intentions, which is a blank slate that anyone can paint their worst fears on, but nothing that we can ever put data to.

Now I have seen many conservatives on this forum argue from his intentions, which is a blank slate that anyone can paint their worst fears on, but nothing that we can ever put data to.

that's because all they got is fear-mongering.

that's because all they got is fear-mongering.

Thats not true, there is a rational and logical basis for most conservative views, however, keep in mind that whenever the guy in charge is of a different ideology, your view of how far into that ideology they are is often distorted.

For example, bush wasn't nearly as conservative as liberals thought he was, and clinton wasn't nearly as liberal as people declaring during his time in office either.

Let's consider where Santorum sits on social issues.

1. He has made it clear that he is opposed to women in the military engaging in combat.

2. He has stated that he will bring back "Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

3. He is opposed to contraception and to sexual education which teaches about contraceptives.

4. He has stated that women working outside the home undermines the traditional family.

5. He has argued that people do not have a right to consensual sex within their own homes and such a right undermines the moral fabric of society.

6. He supports a federal constitutional amendment to define marriage as between a man and a woman.

How can someone with such far right views on social issues expect to win independent votes and conservative democrat votes? Such views are also likely to rile up Obama's disenfranchised base if he were to win the nomination. I can respect that Santorum is a traditional Catholic, but trying to make this election about social issues like contraception and gay marriage would be a big mistake.

Is the Pope an ex-nazi? :2razz:

If you want to discuss Obama, start a thread about him.

Solyndra. There's you some data.

If you want to discuss Obama, start a thread about him.

Exactly. I like to isolate bash-the-_______ threads into one focused topic. :lol:

thats not extreme

our government funds r&d and new technology all the time. These, by virtue of being new industry and tech, do not always pan out.

This has been done for decades.

Last edited:
my calculator is solar-powered. I guess its designer, was an extremist?

His point was that the funding of green energy is an extreme position, or at least I think this was his point.

However, like I said in my post you quoted that I edited to add more thoughts, the US government routinely funds new technology through grants, loan guarantees, public private partnerships, etc.

I fail to see why such a thing can be considered extreme, promoting new industry and the attempt to have the best economy is a matter of national interest in my opinion.

His point was that the funding of green energy is an extreme position, or at least I think this was his point.

However, like I said in my post you quoted that I edited to add more thoughts, the US government routinely funds new technology through grants, loan guarantees, public private partnerships, etc.

I fail to see why such a thing can be considered extreme, promoting new industry and the attempt to have the best economy is a matter of national interest in my opinion.

yes, and apperently, these are extremist positions.

;)

Solyndra is an example of a poor investment, hardly extreme. If you want to knock the administration for funding it, you would have a point. To call it extreme though, is absurd.

Santorum would be a far better president when it comes to social issues than Obama. Obama is too extreme, especially when it comes to spending.

Back
Top Bottom