• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Is Santa claus real?

"Based on historical data and more than 50 years of NORAD tracking information, we believe that Santa Claus is alive and well" - NORAD

Official NORAD Santa Tracker

you're joking, right?

you are using NORAD's ficticious "tracking" of Santa, to be evidence that he actually exists????????????

:lamo:lamo:lamo

you're joking, right?

you are using NORAD's ficticious "tracking" of Santa, to be evidence that he actually exists????????????

If the quote is tangible then it isn't ficticious... you are just scared to believe.

If the quote is tangible then it isn't ficticious... you are just scared to believe.

I scared...to believe in Santa Claus?????

dude, Santa isn't real. Rudoph isn't real. No sled flies through the sky pulled by magical rheindeer.

if you believe in these things, I got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell ya.

I scared...to believe in Santa Claus?????

dude, Santa isn't real. Rudoph isn't real. No sled flies through the sky pulled by magical rheindeer.

if you believe in these things, I got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell ya.

I suggest you catch up...

Well, that fat old guy on top is one aspect of what we are talking about, at least.

No, it's the only aspect. Ask any kid who Santa Claus is and he'll tell you about the guy in the red suit. I can pretty much guarantee they won't tell you about medieval Christian saints.

No, it's the only aspect. Ask any kid who Santa Claus is and he'll tell you about the guy in the red suit. I can pretty much guarantee they won't tell you about medieval Christian saints.

It is the only aspect that you are willing to address, at any case.

And I am surprised that the experts that you defer to are kids...

Are you imagining father Christmas? Have you seen pictures of him? Have you seen people dress up as him? Where these complete nothingness? Then in some sense Father Christmas is real.
In some sense, but not really.

In some sense, but not really.
You contradict yourself. In the definition of real as not nothing, then something is either real or it is not, indeed it generally is real because nothing cannot be conceived, so if you can conceive it it is not nothing. Only say a four-sided triangle or some other contradiction or logical impossibility, which can't even be conceived and are pure impossibility, would be something we can give words to but are nothing.

Last edited:
You contradict yourself. In the definition of real as not nothing, then something is either real or it is not, indeed it generally is real because nothing cannot be conceived, so if you can conceive it it is not nothing. Only say a four-sided triangle or some other contradiction or logical impossibility, which can't even be conceived and are pure impossibility, would be something we can give words to but are nothing.
"real" as in "is or has been existant outside ones mind". "In some sense" as in the shared tradition and mental concepts. We, as a culture, have given attributes to someone who, though partially based on a real person, is mostly made up. Concepts themselves can be real as concepts even if they refer to things that havent ever existed (i.e. haven't ever been real).

"real" as in "is or has been existant outside ones mind". "In some sense" as in the shared tradition and mental concepts. We, as a culture, have given attributes to someone who, though partially based on a real person, is mostly made up. Concepts themselves can be real as concepts even if they refer to things that havent ever existed (i.e. haven't ever been real).

You are simply using the word real in a different way to me. By real I mean not nothing. Father Christmas, as an idea and a concept is not nothing. I do not simply mean, by real, something that exists as corporeal thing or being.

You are simply using the word real in a different way to me. By real I mean not nothing. Father Christmas, as an idea and a concept is not nothing. I do not simply mean, by real, something that exists as corporeal thing or being.
Now you get it. The idea of something is not the thing itself.

Now you get it. The idea of something is not the thing itself.

What do you mean by 'the thing in itself'? I, of course, realise that because the idea, image and concept of Father Christmas is real, that doesn't mean in our corporeal plane of existence he actually lives in the North Pole and gives out gifts to all the world's children. But your comment adds certain elements that are questionable, such as the implication that only what exists in our plane of existence, as corporeal being or thing, is a things in itself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom