• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is S. African runner Caster Semenya a man or a woman?

Arcana XV

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
This is the weirdest story out of the sport's world I've seen in some time. :shock:

The Associated Press: Runner Semenya, SAfricans dismiss gender uproar

BERLIN — A day after winning her first 800-meter world title amid a gender test controversy, teenager Caster Semenya — and her fellow South Africans — were left wondering what all the fuss was about.
Semenya dominated her rivals to win the 800 on Wednesday despite revelations that surfaced earlier in the day that she was undergoing a gender verification test because of concerns she does not meet the requirements to compete as a woman.
The 18-year-old runner's father, Jacob, dismissed the speculation, telling the Sowetan newspaper: "she is my little girl. ... I raised her and I have never doubted her gender. She is a woman and I can repeat that a million times."
The medal ceremony for the 800 is later Thursday.

ALeqM5icniIdna1a1f_oy144TDY2cy2hLA

I'm betting man personally o_O

Looks like a man from the waist up, especially the... well, everything. Face, chest, abdomen all look like a man.

Between the hips and the knees doesn't look like a man at all, and I don't think a man could run that fast with a tuck job that good.

What if she is intersexed, and perhaps has Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome or some other condition that would result in her being anatomically female but genetically male?

What if she is intersexed, and perhaps has Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome or some other condition that would result in her being anatomically female but genetically male?

Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome would lead to her being hyperfeminine, though. She might very well be anatomically female, though. I don't think I'm interested enough to check.

The whole issue has been handled disgracefully

I agree. The poor thing is just 18 and this can't be easy for her. Now she's going to be poked and probed and psychoanalyzed to prove her gender.

The Athletics regulations demand that someone competing on the women's side must be 100% female, but what does that even mean? What if she does have the necessary "equipment" to be a woman, but her body produces an abnormal quantity of male hormones?

Back
Top Bottom