• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Is running against the Speaker a good campaign strategy?

Is running against Pelosi a good strategy?

• Yes

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • No

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters
In regards to the unfavorables.

I think individuals in their district makes unfavorables important. I think individual lowly representitives make unfavorables important if you bring them up nationally.

I think Nancy Pelosi is the "face" of the House, and as such its not necessarily running against her directly but running against her as the very face and definition of the House, thus their unfavorable rating is what matters more.

I imagine it worked for democrats who ran ran against Bush, so obviously running against Pelosi would work and is a good stratagy.

I see it as a very different situation; Bush was the president of the US. Pelosi is, at the end of the day, just another house member. They tried the same strategy in 2006 and lost handily. I also think it's even less effective now, since Pelosi isn't the big democrat, Obama is.

I don't know about anyone else, but I get tired of seeing political commercials and candidates running for an office and all they can say is "vote for me, I am not as big of an idiot as the other guy". Running a campaign with nothing substantial to say except how awful the other guy is says a lot to me. It says that you have absolutely nothing substantial worth running on. I don't want to know what you think of the other guy or girl, I want to know what YOU THINK, where YOU stand, and YOUR voting record. I will vote for that person each and every time if I agree with them.

In fact most times when I see those types of commercials on tv, the channel gets changed fairly quickly.

From what I've gathered, a crucial crux of the Republicans strategy to win back the house is to try to link Democratic candidates with Nancy Pelosi and essentially run against Pelosi. Excluding the candidate in Pelosi's district of course, do you think this strategy is a good idea for the Republicans?

That strategy is already in the works - "Stop Pelosi, Ried, Obama" - but it's not showing to be as effective as the GOP had hoped. Why? Probably because it's "attack-mode" politics instead of "issues/agenda driven" politics.

By campaigning against Pelosi (Ried, Obama), all the GOP will do is galvanize their base, but as another poster put it they won't pull independents, Centrist, Progressives, Moderates into their midst. So, IMO, such a strategy in and of itself wouldn't be very effective. The GOP needs to do more than belittle the other side. They need to present a real plan of change the people can get behind.

Back
Top Bottom